power steering belt busted

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power steering belt busted

Got stranded out of town over the weekend by a power steering belt that frayed and got stuck between the timing belt cover (which was just worked on by the recall) and the crank shaft pulley. Not sure if it was due to something out of whack with the T belt cover since it was just worked on or not, but all I know is this is something that shouldn't happen to a vehicle with 25K on it...just wanted to give a heads up for those that are getting their recalls done. That roadside assistance worked pretty good too tho...had a tow truck there in about 20 minutes...They gave me up to 300 bucks a day to spend on whatever I deemed as an inconvenience on my trip. So I drove an expedition for the weekend while my ride got some TLC....what a slug it was too!!
Old 10-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Instructor

I guess the dealer network in TX is as "good" as it is in CA. The person that worked on your car was in such a hurry that he just forced the P/S belt off with a pry bar and broke some cords in the belt. If you look real close at the pully you might see a dent, scrach, or mark where this was done. Most of the good mechanics I ever met retired or got into different fields some years back.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:44 AM
Drifting

Re: power steering belt busted

Originally posted by JGsTL-S
Got stranded out of town over the weekend by a power steering belt that frayed and got stuck between the timing belt cover (which was just worked on by the recall) and the crank shaft pulley. Not sure if it was due to something out of whack with the T belt cover since it was just worked on or not, but all I know is this is something that shouldn't happen to a vehicle with 25K on it...just wanted to give a heads up for those that are getting their recalls done. That roadside assistance worked pretty good too tho...had a tow truck there in about 20 minutes...They gave me up to 300 bucks a day to spend on whatever I deemed as an inconvenience on my trip. So I drove an expedition for the weekend while my ride got some TLC....what a slug it was too!!
Dang! Now that is service!