Potential buyer looking for feedback

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 08:07 PM

Potential buyer looking for feedback

I have been on a scorched earth search for a new car to serve the following needs: commuting to and from work (alternately 6 mile drive to train, 25 mile drive directly to downtown Boston, Mass) and as a fun option for family long weekend trips to northern New England and the mid-Atlantic states. Any thoughts on the subject? Is the TL competent in New England weather conditions (keeping in mind that I'm not an idiot; I stay home if the weather is TOO crappy)? I've driven the relevant Subarus, Audis (A4 only - I'm not made of money), BMWs (325i and xi -- ditto), and Passats. The Type S looks near-perfect on paper, but I'm a little nervous about all of the finish nits that I keep hearing about on the board. I'm a lifetime Honda/Subaru owner, so reliability is a big thing to me. Also high on my list are comfort, quiet, and driving fun. Lastly, I'd like to avoid embarrasingly low gas mileage. Since I'm not a lead-foot, I think I can make the TL work in that regard.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:17 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a fellow New Englander, I think you'll be quite pleased with the TLS. The ride is very smooth and QUIET - perfect for relaxing long commutes (mine is 44 miles one way!) Most of my commute is on rural highways and winding back roads, and the car is a joy to ride - as well as a ton of fun to pass slow trucks in.

Moving to the TLS from a Jeep GC, I do have some concerns about its winter capabilities, but I'm assuming the front wheel drive and VSA will help out here, as well as a set of Blizzaks.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 90 Posts
It sounds like the base-level TL should be perfect for your needs. The FWD setup has advantages in slushy/icy weather, and it doesn't sound like you're a performance nut who needs the extra power of the Type-S. For the price, you can't beat Acura's reliability, fit/finish, and customer service.
Old 08-07-2001, 08:57 PM
Instructor

Re: Potential buyer looking for feedback

Originally posted by chemicalgroom
I'm a lifetime Honda/Subaru owner, so reliability is a big thing to me. Also high on my list are comfort, quiet, and driving fun.
It looks to me like you answered you own question.

I wouldn't worry much about the nitpicking... the car is, what, 4 months old? There are always going to be minor imperfections with new models. A lot of the gripes from the earliest buyers (i.e. misaligned tailpipes) have already been fixed.. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with mine so far.

Looking at the rest of your list...I considered the same cars...same opinion on the bimmers, and if you're going to lay down the $$ for a well-loaded Passat, you might as well just get the A4.... the only other comparable option as far as I'm concerned, but the backseat is tight and the 2002's aren't expected out till Oct/Nov
Old 08-08-2001, 12:09 PM
Instructor

If you're leaning toward for the TL-P instead of the TL-S, reconsider. I think you'll really enjoy the extra power and features (e.g., vehicle stability assist vs. traction control) for the extra $. The reason I selected the TL-S over the A4, Maxima, Pasast was for the power and over the 330 was for the price/features.

You won't be disappointed. I was also concerned about winter driving and since the TL-S is new this year, no one has yet gone through a winter with it and it's tires. I did check the CL-S board and learned that they performed OK in snowy conditions and that was good enough for me. I used to change all 4 tires twice a year on my previous car to put snows on/off and was tired of doing that, but I now expect not to have to do that anymore.
Old 08-08-2001, 01:44 PM
Instructor

The TL-S is definitely a highway car, not a commuter. Although, I do commute in the car, but I get crappy gas mileage. It may sound strange, but I can get 30 mpg on the highway averaging 80 mph, but the mileage drops to something like 20 to 23 mpg in the city.

If you decide to get the TL-S, make sure you get the Navi. You don’t want to regret it later, because it cannot be retrofit.

I have no fit and finish problems on this car at all. However, I have noticed that some compromises were made by Acura to keep the price down. Things like the plastic center armrest latch, the sliding armrest which doesn’t want to stay in place, and thin leather seating surfaces.

There isn’t another car out there that offers so much power and standard equipment for the price. Except, of course, for the CL-S, which the dealers are practically giving away right now.
Old 08-08-2001, 03:54 PM
Pro

dude, I had the same needs in a new car as you do. I searched for a car since last December.
The TL-S is perect for our needs. I drive to work 23 miles each way 5 days a week (I take my old car a couple of times so I don't rack up too many miles on the tl). It's a great road trip/ weekend/ go-to-places family car.
I've got a lead foot too, and I've been getting near 30mpg.
The car looks sharp, has plenty of room, nice luxury features, 6cd changer kicks but, fun to drive, won't break the bank (my #2 choice was a 330i at $37K). The quality fit & finish so far has been great. The only one complaint I have is that I occasionally get a squeeking noise from somewhere. Also, it is loud w/ the windows or sunroof open.

If you haven't done so already, go to a dealer for a test drive, that's what won me over.
Old 08-08-2001, 04:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
but I'm a little nervous about all of the finish nits
I guess this is all relative. I once had an S10 Blazer that had the following issues within 40K miles:

Electronic dash replaced THREE times in a year and a half
Ball joints replaced before 20K miles (never was off-road)
Power door lock swith went bad
Windshield wiper switch went bad
4WD switch went bad (embarassing when your 4x4 won't go up your snowy driveway)
faulty water pump replaced at 40K miles
Torsion bar mount went bad
rattles??! TL owners haven't heard rattles like this
puffing blue smoke at stat-up (40K miles)
Defective spark plug wires replaced (caused engine vibration @ 55mph)

I'm sure there was more, but why go on. I know someone will respond that it's not fair to compare a Blazer to a TL. That argument would be valid regarding rattles, along with fit and finish, but the mechanical issues are inexcusable.

Definitely get the NAVI, and if you could swing it, I'd say get the TL-S. If not, I'm sure the TL-P would satisfy you. If I was buying again, I'd get the TL-S w/Navi.

This is my second Acura (previous was a Vigor 111K miles) and I love it.
Old 08-08-2001, 05:44 PM
Instructor

Go with the Type-S! I got mine in late March a week before our last snowfall here in Mass. The one time I did drive in the snow it was much better that my old Integra. The heavier weight, traction control, etc. made it no problem to drive in the bad weather. My gas mileage is great for this size car and the acceleration is amazing!
I had some minor squeaks but they have all either disappeared on their own or some easy fixes on my part and the dealer. The extra $2K over the TL-P is well worth it.
Old 08-09-2001, 12:36 AM
Racer

Yep, buy one....there are some minor issues, but its a fine car.

Nuff said......