Pls Help!! Whining sound on accel/decel...tranny dying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question UPDATE: Pls Help!! Whining sound on accel/decel...tranny dying?

UPDATED - Scroll Down

(2002 TL-S delivered on 1/31/01 now has 37,000 miles)

Tonight, for the first time, I heard a high-pitched whining sound (like a jet turbine spooling up and down) as I accelerated or decelerated. Got louder and faster as speed increased from 10 MPH up to 80 MPH. When I put the gearbox into Neutral, the sound stopped. Came back when car was put into gear (D5 the entire time).

When speed is 0 MPH and engine is revved (idle to 3000 RPM) with gearbox in Neutral, no sound. So, I eliminated slipping pulley as a cause.

Is this high-pitched, whining sound a symptom of a failing tranny after 37,000 miles? The tranny shifts smoothly with none of the symptoms listed in the Acura tranny extended warranty letter.

I need to take a long trip tomorrow AM (3.5 hours each way). Is this sound minor enough to get checked out after this trip or should I have it looked at by the dealer ASAP? Is it possible this is the AC condensor clutch assy failure?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-07-2004, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Pls Help!! Whining sound on accel/decel...tranny dying?

Originally posted by The Skeptic
(2002 TL-S delivered on 1/31/01 now has 37,000 miles)

Tonight, for the first time, I heard a high-pitched whining sound (like a jet turbine spooling up and down) as I accelerated or decelerated. Got louder and faster as speed increased from 10 MPH up to 80 MPH. When I put the gearbox into Neutral, the sound stopped. Came back when car was put into gear (D5 the entire time).

When speed is 0 MPH and engine is revved (idle to 3000 RPM) with gearbox in Neutral, no sound. So, I eliminated slipping pulley as a cause.

Is this high-pitched, whining sound a symptom of a failing tranny after 37,000 miles? The tranny shifts smoothly with none of the symptoms listed in the Acura tranny extended warranty letter.

I need to take a long trip tomorrow AM (3.5 hours each way). Is this sound minor enough to get checked out after this trip or should I have it looked at by the dealer ASAP? Is it possible this is the AC condensor clutch assy failure?

Your thoughts and feedback are appreciated. Thanks!
could be one of two things.

a) tranny is going to die soon, in which take the car in too get checked out immediately

b) power steering pump is going, or there is a bad leak in it. I have gotten that whine sound even when not turning the wheels in our windstar, and it turns out the power steering pump needed replacing, and one of the tire rods had gone bad. Other than that, I don't know what else could be causing it.

Take the car into the dealer and have them take a look at the car. If the problem is there when they test drive it, they definitely can't say they couldn't re-produce the problem.

Good luck.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:44 PM
Racer

I have somewhat same sound, but I think mine is from intake. When I apply gas, it starts to make a high pitched sound. But when I let go of gas, it goes away. I don't know if mine is similar to yours or not. If you have any idea please let me know.

thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

UPDATE: Tranny Going

Took the tech for a ride and he heard the sound. Diagnosis: needs new tranny. It seemed when I rolled into the bay, everyone knew about the tranny issue. As each person (greeter, service advisor, tech) asked me what the problem was and I said "Funny noise from the tranny", they all sort of went "Oh yeah, the tranny".

So, new tranny is on order, they will call me in a week to schedule an appt. Car is still driveable. Just thought I'd share.