Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help!!!

In the last 4 months, I've had 2 Idle Air Control Valves replaced and just 4 days ago, I had my throttle body replaced. These things were replaced b/c my car was and still is surging from 1000 rpms to 3000 rpms whenever I am in Park or Neutral. I just took it back and now they are trying to tell me it is because of my Cold Air Intake or my Headers. Is that possible? Could either of these two things be causing the surging in my car? I would like to know if anyone else has heard of these things before I start tinkering with them or take them out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
which intake and headers are you running?
Old 01-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Cruisin'

It is an AEM Cold Air Intake and the headers are OBX.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Instructor

omen, what year is your TL, my 2000 is doing that too, but I do not have an intake, my car is all stock.
Old 01-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Racer

wow uh o my i just bought car does the EXACT same thing as your car and it is 100% completly stock i had thought it was just gonna need a tune up but from wut your saying it doesnt sound like it when u find out what the problem is post it here plz cause i am experienceing the exact same thing
Old 01-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "surginig"? What are some symptoms?
Old 01-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Racer

like the car revs up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down like consistantly between 1000 and 3000 rpm like it wud if the engine was too cold
Old 01-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally posted by soccerbenk
like the car revs up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down like consistantly between 1000 and 3000 rpm like it wud if the engine was too cold
Tell the dealership to shove it.

First off, what the hell do the headers have to do with this problem? Headers are directly associated with exhaust gas. Surging problem is associated with idling, which is mainly dependent on incoming air.

Second of all, CAI is definitely not the cause. CAI's purpose is to deliver more of COOLER air. If the dealership claims that the CAI is causing the problem, then the only way to see it is that CAI is delivering more air, less air, more air, less air, etc. and keep doing it. There's NO OTHER explanation than that (if they want to blame it on the CAI, that is).

So yeah, tell 'em to get f*cked and fix it.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:06 PM
Cruisin'

My car is a 1999 TL. Thank you Pure Adrenaline for your explanation. I told Acura that they couldnt have anything to do with the problem, and that if anything, the headers and CAI would by allowing more cool air flow.

Green and Soccer: Like I said, my car has had the surging problem off an on for about 6 months. The first time I took it in, they replaced the Idle Air Control Valve, and it mostly ran fine for about 3 months, then started giving me a lot of problems. In the last 2 weeks, they replaced the IACV again. But the car broke again the next day. So I took it back in and they told me my Throttle Body was bad. So the replaced it. Now my car has had the surging problem occur twice in the last 5 days. The problem is that once I shut the car off, it doesnt always do it. So I cant just give it back to them again and tell them to fix it. Its a very screwy problem and becoming a very big pain.

Hope this helps you guys and thanks again Adrenaline.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:16 PM
Dragging knees in

My friend had the same problem with his modified '95 GS-R. He replaced the IACV, but it didn't fix the problem. We never fixed the problem, because he got into a wreck and the car got totalled, but we could only see the cause of the problem coming from the wax Honda uses in their IACV. Basically, there's wax which melts inside the valve once it reaches operating temperature. Once the car is shut off, the temperature drops and the wax hardens again. Now, we don't know for sure, because like I said we never got around to it, but it might be the entire unit that heats up the wax. I know this is kind of vague, we didn't get a chance to tear it apart, so I can't tell you any more. Sorry. But it's a definite possibility... assuming that Honda still uses it. Another friend's '97 GS-R has it, and another buddy's '99 GS-R has it, too, I believe. I figure it's a universal part, and is used all throughout their line-up.

I hope someone else knows more about this and shed some light, because this is where my knowledge runs out. Sorry.
Old 01-21-2004, 11:18 PM
Dragging knees in

Oh, by the way, the JG Edelbrock headers and AEM CAI off the wrecked '95 GS-R (the one with the surging problem) were transplanted into the '97 GS-R. No surging problem at all, so we all know that the parts have almost has nothing do with the problem (unless they were clogged, which are unlikely).

Good luck.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:43 PM
Dragging knees in

I found this TSB for ya. Not sure if this what they dealership did in the past when they replaced the IACV and TB, but give it a try.

03-006 MAR 03 Engine Controls - Idle Speed Inspection

03-006 is the TSB number.