Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:49 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Please Help!!!

Hey guys,

My check engine light came on this morning (it solid not blinking) I believe it has something to do with the emissions sensor's. I have a 99 TL w/ 60k on it. I have had most of the services done for the 60k maintenance. I called the dealer this morning to get a ballpark figure for the cost of fixing. All he could tell me was that it is $90 to get the diagnosis. He would not give me ballpark for parts or anything. My question is has anyone had this done to their car? If so about how much was it to fix? Also, if I get the readout and they quote me something ridiculous is it feasible to take some repair shop and tell them the problem and let them fix or just leave it to the dealer to rape me on the cost???

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
If I do take to a repair shop, anyone know a good one in MD

Thanks,

Eric
Old 05-31-2002, 11:14 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

You must diagnose first. If the engine check light comes on, the problem can be anything. It can be just false code, or bad sensor, etc. If you're lucky, they can just reset the code and you should be fine. You have to spend the money on diagnosis and go from there. Good Luck!!
Old 05-31-2002, 07:11 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

It could just be your gas filler cap. Have you gotten gas recently? Have you double checked the cap? Make sure it's tight.

I had same problem, except mine was a bypass valve stuck open. This happend the second day I owned the car. 100 miles driven and DING, light comes on.

I don't know about cost, mine was under warranty.
Old 05-31-2002, 11:10 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by baggsTLS
It could just be your gas filler cap. Have you gotten gas recently? Have you double checked the cap? Make sure it's tight.

That is exactly what happened to me. I have a 99 TL also and my check engine light came on one day. I found out the gas guy did not close my gas cap tight enough. Therefore the light came on. So I just tighten it and it took about 1-2 weeks for the light to turn off.