Picking up my new TL-S Today!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2002, 10:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picking up my new TL-S Today!

I have been reading this forum for a while, seeing as how I was looking into a new car, and would just like to thank those of you I have read that helped convince me that this was the car for me.

I pick up my brand new 2003 WDP w/ Ebony Int. TL Type S w/ Nav today!!! I had them install the spoiler, but opted out on the Body Kit (The threads on the color differences for WDP was helpful.) I am still considering getting it from Tim, but need to see more pictures and talk to more owners of WDP TL's w/ the body kits to see if they recommend it overall.

I can't WAIT to get behind the wheel of this thing and SLOWLY BREAK IT IN.... 500 miles sound about right?

Well, seeing as how this is my first post, I will introduce myself. I live in San Jose, California, spend my days as a Corporate Web Manager, and will be getting married in about 2 months. I am a former Marine, so any Marine or military questions, send them and I'll help out where I can! Other than that, don't expect me to be a stranger, so watch out for my posts, as well as my many questions that will come along with owning one of these great looking cars!!!

-RafConTLS
Old 07-12-2002, 11:15 AM
Banned

Congrats and enjoy! Just remember to try and take it easy for the first 600 or so miles (if you can restrain yourself...... )
Old 07-12-2002, 11:21 AM
Pro

Welcome aboard. You won't regret your choice. If I were you, I would seriously consider upgrading your membership status so you can get more savings from Tim. When I joined, there was no option like that. I purchased alot of stuff from Tim (body kit, headers, intake, exhaust, etc.). Even though the prices were already great, I would've liked it more if I could get more savings that a premiere membership offers. Oh well, what can I say.

...let the mods begin!

axleback
Old 07-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Having Fun?

Congrats on the car, and upcoming marriage

Old 07-12-2002, 11:41 AM
Intermediate

Thanks!

Thanks for the congrats and tips! I will be sure to keep it slow for the first 600 ...

I will look into the premier membership, and thanks for letting me know about some of the benefits!

-RafConTLS
Old 07-12-2002, 01:47 PM
STi
Racer

congradulations, great car, enjoy!
Old 07-12-2002, 02:03 PM
Racer

word of advice. wash your car yourself. get all the necassary things. hit up the zaino site. get the micro-fiber towels. treat the paint well, cause its like a little spoiled brat. you do injustice to it once.. you'll regret it.
Old 07-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

I noticed some of you do not like or allow the dealer to wash your car when you take it in? Are they not careful with it? Or what are they using/doing that could be harmful to the paint job?

Thanks for the washing advice Chris, is that specifically for the WDP or all the pearls or all the TL paints?

**Just finished putting 25 miles on my car as I drove some co-workers to lunch. I have to say I really do love this car so far! And the Nav, well, I have never used something so useful... I am definitely glad I ordered one with it!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:03 PM
Having Fun?

Every time they wash my car they strip the klasse off and I have to re-wax Any they don't dry it so waterspots start showing up. I could go on... what do they use as a wash mitt? is it clean?

Just isn't worth the risk or troubles of having to re-wax.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:27 PM
Racer

the reasoning behind not letting them (the dealers) wash the car is that they abuse the car. if you're going to wash 50 cars a day.... are you really going to care? not really right? and the materials they use, are horrible. they're old..over used. you're just asking for tiny hairline scratches everywhere. my ride is black.. so its especially important. i have buddies with white cars that still take it seriously. depends on how anal you are. i made the mistake of taking my car to the dealer... $hit... i made the mistake of letting my cousin use my ride to pick up his girl. bird crapped on my car, so he decides to take it to a self-wash. you know if i didn't have a friend that owned a paint&body shop.. i would of used his tongue to buff out those scratches. just make the investments.... 200-300 should cover you with a lot of car washes. depending on if you park inside or out. garage park.. damn.. you could probably wash maybe once every 2-3 weeks. i park my car outside, hate the garage dings. so i wash once a week. i spent about 300 when i first got my car.. in november.. and ive spent maybe an extra 75 getting more essentials... (z1.. or what ever the washing fluid is.) so.. you figure atleast once a week. for the past 9 months. not too shabby. and i can work on my tan also.
Old 07-12-2002, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by copland007
Congrats on the car, and upcoming marriage

Congrats on both! Nice choices by the way, but I might be a little prejudiced. I have an '01 WDP TL w/NAV and spoiler.

It's an awesome color, you'll enjoy it.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you make sure to get a spare tranny?
Old 07-12-2002, 10:16 PM
Racer

Man, this was such a good thread until someone has to come along and put unneccesary and useless comments into it..Peter, you've made it abundantly clear that you had problems with the tranny, but there is no reason to make those types of comments to people who just bought their TLS. If you still have a grudge because your tranny failed, go see a shrink and tell them all your problems, but please, keep your useless comments to yourself.

Rafcon, Nice color choice man..I also have WDP/ebony. I'm also wondering about the body kit and the paint matching issues. Well good luck and be good during the break in period.
Old 07-12-2002, 10:41 PM
Having Fun?

FLAcuraTLS:
well said, keep that tranny business outta threads that they don't belong in.

I have seen an inordinate amount of these posts all over the forum, they are pointless and ruin threads...
Old 07-13-2002, 12:21 AM
Advanced

Congrats

Congrats on the car, you will love it. Just be mindful of the break-in. A little patience will pay off.

I am going in next week for my first oil change and am on the fence about the car wash. I will probably only have them clean the interior.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:51 AM
STi
Racer

FLAcuraTLS:

I have seen an inordinate amount of these posts all over the forum, they are pointless and ruin threads...
i agree too, i hope people who have had bad luck just come to every thread and say crap about other people's new cars
can't you guys wish good luck?
Old 07-14-2002, 02:05 AM
Racer

Copland and Sti:
Thanks guys, I am glad there are others who are tired of seeing people like peterubers ruin threads with their useless and unnecessary comments. This thread has nothing to do with tranny issues and peter should have kept those statements to himself or post them in a thread that pertains to tranny issues.
Old 07-14-2002, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

Congrats on the new car. Hope to join you soon.

As best I can, I always bring my car in, spotless, so I can see anything they left i.e. grease and any marks on door handles, windows and hood, where they throw the covers on the front 1/4 panels etc. Seems they're a little more careful too. I don't let anybody wash the car but, if I'm watching, I'll let them vacuum the rugs. Chrism7885 has it right on the 50+ mind set plus it's just another person driving the car with wet shoes and clothes. At most, I only want the mechanic driving it into the bay then back to a parking spot after the test drive. Anal ?? Yep. ...dean
Old 07-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Intermediate

I was well aware of the tranny issues before it was brought up again in this thread, but that wasn't going to stop me from owning this beautiful car!! Thanks for the great words of advice everyone else though!!!

It is very hard breaking it in, because you have that urge to just HIT IT, but you know you have to drive like an old man in the right hand 2 lanes for 600 miles.

I too am liking this color. I have owned black cars before, and just love the look of them, so wasn't sure about the white diamond when I read about it... but when I went in to the dealer and saw it, I knew that it was the color for me. And I knew I needed the interior in ebony just because I didn't want a traditional brown color inside of a white car (no offense to anyone who has it that way!). I love the dark color interior in the bright white of the car, just seems like a great match. I had to wait over a month for the car to come in though (seems the WDP TL-S with ebony int. and Nav isn't something they usually keep on the lot for very long.)

Can anyone list some Necessary Items I should get for maintaining the inside and outside? It would really help. I have read on the debate between 303 and that other item for the interior (a buddy has an S4, and swears by the other one, just can't remember the name of it.) What about the soap itself? Do some of you use dish soap? An approved and much gentler car wash soap? Do you have a special mitt for this thing? Do you use a chamois? And definitely, what wax would you recommend? I know this is new, so I shouldn't have to worry about a polish just yet, but a great wax to use would sure be helpful. I'll probably go pick that up today!

Thanks again everyone!!!
-RafCon
Old 07-14-2002, 01:58 PM
Having Fun?

RafConTLS:
Lots of questions I'll try to answer...

Interior - 303 is the way to go. Our leather seats have a clearcoat layer on them which are design to repel foreign substances, oil, water, etc... which includes conditioners. 303 is a protectant. You can search around for the debates. Users like myself and NSXNEXT swear by it. It is a great product, I use it on everything, the vinyl, leather, dash, rubber seals, door sills, etc...

Exterior - Only use dish soap (ie Dawn) when you want to strip the wax and start over. Use a car wash soap for normal washes. I use a sheepskin mitt while washing and to dry I do one run with the California water blade than finish the drying with an Absorber.

Wax - There are two popular choices that a lot of people use on here, either Zaino or Klasse.

Hope this helps
Old 07-14-2002, 03:23 PM
STi
Racer

for exterior, many people on the forum will tell you to go for Zaino
but if you want to buy off-the-shelf kind of stuff, you can go for Meguiars products
when washing a car, i use Mother's or Meguairs car wash, then dry with chamois then all-cotton towel

if you want to know more, do a search, there are many threads on detailing, good luck!

oh, and here is an excellent tip, when done washing the car, remove the sprayer and hose the car off, this way, you'll have a lot less water left on your car, and faster to dry = less waterspots
Old 07-14-2002, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by FLAcuraTLS
Man, this was such a good thread until someone has to come along and put unneccesary and useless comments into it..Peter, you've made it abundantly clear that you had problems with the tranny, but there is no reason to make those types of comments to people who just bought their TLS. If you still have a grudge because your tranny failed, go see a shrink and tell them all your problems, but please, keep your useless comments to yourself.

Rafcon, Nice color choice man..I also have WDP/ebony. I'm also wondering about the body kit and the paint matching issues. Well good luck and be good during the break in period.
Dude, chill out
Old 07-14-2002, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

FLAcuraTLS:

then why don't you be the first to petition for a "transmission issues" forum, exogenous to this one. Kinda like the one over at CL-S .. ?

Oh, for those who are excessively sensitive to sarcasm, let me be clear in saying that this post is not intended to be sarcastic, and I apologize for hurting anyone's feelings. I promise I'll play nice from now on.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Having Fun?

Originally posted by PeterUbers

then why don't you be the first to petition for a "transmission issues" forum, exogenous to this one. Kinda like the one over at CL-S .. ?
It has already been suggested in the past...

Don't get me wrong I know it sucks ass when/if it happens to everyone I just got sick of seeing posts about them in threads that had nothing to do with it.

Search out the post by oblio that was counting the tranny issue vin numbers and add the complaints to that.

I'm sorry you had to suffer through it and I hope I and others won't...
Old 07-14-2002, 05:57 PM
Racer

Thumbs up Re: Picking up my new TL-S Today!

Originally posted by RafConTLS
I pick up my brand new 2003 WDP w/ Ebony Int. TL Type S w/ Nav today!!! I had them install the spoiler, but opted out on the Body Kit (The threads on the color differences for WDP was helpful.) I am still considering getting it from Tim, but need to see more pictures and talk to more owners of WDP TL's w/ the body kits to see if they recommend it overall.

I can't WAIT to get behind the wheel of this thing and SLOWLY BREAK IT IN.... 500 miles sound about right?

-RafConTLS
Good Luck on the TL Type S'r. I have a 2002 WDP, and it is a subtle yet pretty color; my car has been trouble-free, and I wish you the same for yours. ENJOY!
Old 07-14-2002, 07:52 PM
Intermediate

Thanks again everyone.

Copland, I will definitely try out the 303. Sounds like it makes lots of its customers happy. And I hate to sound silly here, but when you mentioned Klasse, it explained a lot of what I had been reading when people refer to their car after Klasse. (I read lots of people refer to mods by names like that, so wasn't sure if that was inside the hood or what.)

So 303 for interior, and Klasse or Zaino for exterior. And we aren't referring to things you can just pick up in a local Auto Parts store, are we?

I shall search online for these products... Thanks again! And keep any other advice coming! I could sure use it!
Old 07-14-2002, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally posted by RafConTLS
... I too am liking this color. I have owned black cars before, and just love the look of them, so wasn't sure about the white diamond when I read about it... but when I went in to the dealer and saw it, I knew that it was the color for me. And I knew I needed the interior in ebony just because I didn't want a traditional brown color inside of a white car (no offense to anyone who has it that way!). I love the dark color interior in the bright white of the car, just seems like a great match. I had to wait over a month for the car to come in though (seems the WDP TL-S with ebony int. and Nav isn't something they usually keep on the lot for very long.)
Thanks again everyone!!!
-RafCon
Ten Hut! Hey! I like my "tan" interior, soldier!
Congrats on your purchase -- and welcome to club WDP!

I'm also glad you like your Navi unit. I can honestly say that from now on every car of mine will have to have one in it!

Well, let me be the first to say that you need to visit our sister site acura-cl.com, enter the "Club Events" section, and read the Bay Area Meets & Sacramento Meets threads. The meets give you a chance to check out the other members' rides, see what mods you like, and ask the owners various questions. Every couple of months some of the Bay Area folks drive up to Sac and vice-versa. Just had a combined meet yesterday, as a matter of fact!

So take care of that perty WDP and get your behind to one of the meets! I've been the only WDP for the longest time! Plus, I'd like to see what that ebony interior looks like!

Later,

V.