Performance Options

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 06:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Performance Options

Hello All! I'm new to the board, and have 2 questions for all the performance minded gear heads out there.
First, I have a 2002 TLS and have been considering installing Comptech's header/exhaust system, along with their supercharger kit - has anyone here ever used these parts, and what were the results? Were you happy? I ask this because of an article I just read in Car&Driver, which did these exact mods to a CL, and the results they claim were not very good, or rather not worth the cost and time. There was little to no improvement in the lows to mids, but there was noticeable improvement in the highs - which they attributed to the character of the high revving Vtech engine.
Second, are there any other options I could consider besides those mentioned above? NOS? etc.
I realize that the TL is pretty heavy, and a front WD car, which kinda puts me behind the 8 ball to start with, but you have to have what you have to have. Any performance ideas would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:39 PM
Racer

the other & cheaper way is to get either stone/obx header & a 3.5 upgrade. this's like half the price of what u mentioned in your thread. personally, i would use the ct exhaust as the sound is just right for our tls, deep tone & not too loud. oh yeah, cai as well.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:33 AM
President Team Lilirish

the answer to this question is just a matter of prefrence. people prefer different things and have had different experiences when choosing there products.

as for the supercharger i haven't heard af anyone installing it on their tl and i refuse to do it until i see someone else install it and show me some numbers
Old 06-27-2003, 08:15 AM
Advanced

SuperCharger

Car & Driver ran an article in the June 2003 issue on a 3.2CL-S that was Supercharged by Comptech.
The monster put out 369 HP, and really increased it's top end power, but the 1/4 times were 14.2 @ 104mph! That sucks! Well, I shouldn't say that TIME SUCKS, but for around $7000 for the all that you would need for the motor alone, that's a pretty crappy $$$ to HP ratio.

Why were the times so weak? Take one guess... FWD!

There's a lot of things you can do with 7G's...
Making my car a 1/2 second faster in the 1/4 mile isn't worth it for that kind of cash.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
Old 06-27-2003, 08:36 AM

There is some1 on this forum with a TL-S Supercharged. I can't find him but when I do I will post his name. But it has been done...
Old 06-27-2003, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
There are also some guys on ACL.com that have the supercharger installed in the auto and they love it.

BTW, those times sucked not b/c of front wheel drive... but because of traction. I've seen turbo FWD cars run right around 10 sec flat at E-town. If you have the right tire/suspension setup you will get better times.

Also don't forget that that C&D CL-S was a 6-speed, which is a totally different animal from an automatic CL or TL. The 6-speed puts down more power stock and also has better gearing out of the box.

As far as nitrous... again, several guys on acura-cl.com spray and have success. I think one guy here sprays too.... think it was joecool or something like that. You just have to make sure you don't go the cheap route... get a good kit with all of the features.

Personally the 3.5L upgrade is the way to go. Right now it's not available... but the one guy who got it done when it was available runs about a 13.7 with the 3.5L upgrade and I think he also has the standard I/H/E upgrades as well. Anyway, that's what I'm holding out for.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:57 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks so much for all the quick replys!! - catchawave echos my concerns about trying to develop a RWD platform, but juniorbean also brings up some very relavent points as well.

Some questions: What is the 3.5 upgrade that's been mentioned here a couple of times, and if it's not currently offered, will it be in the future?

Quality nitrous kits: would they include NX Express or NOS->?

Thanks so much for the comments, keep them coming, they are all well appreciated!!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Originally posted by velocity111
Thanks so much for all the quick replys!! - catchawave echos my concerns about trying to develop a RWD platform, but juniorbean also brings up some very relavent points as well.

Some questions: What is the 3.5 upgrade that's been mentioned here a couple of times, and if it's not currently offered, will it be in the future?

Quality nitrous kits: would they include NX Express or NOS->?

Thanks so much for the comments, keep them coming, they are all well appreciated!!
Unfortunately I'm not to up on Nitrous, so I don't want to mis-speak. You can hop over to acura-cl.com and do a search to get some answers.

The 3.5L upgrade is a replacement of some engine parts to bump up the displacement of the 3.2L CL/TL engine. It's not currently around as the dealership that was originally offered it stopped offering it about a year ago. There is another company in Florida that is working on duplicating the kit, and from what I hear it's pretty close to done. If and when it gets released... I'm sure you'll hear about it here... no question!!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Lightbulb

Some 3.5L info:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...&highlight=NOS

Some Nitrous info:

Old 06-27-2003, 06:47 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks JB!! I really appreciate the help.

If anyone has experience with the Comptech superchargers first hand, please let me know how it worked out for you.

Thanks in Advance.......
Old 06-30-2003, 04:47 AM
Drifting

there are several who are spraying/have sprayed actually... I am one of them. Personally, I haven't dynoed my car yet, but I am willing to say it's easily 350 at the crank. Also I got the (I believe...) best nitrous system in the market, and I love it. Do a search on the Venom 2000 nitrous system and you'll know what I'm talking about. I also believe that the SC won't put as much power as nitrous (75shot). and yes, 14.2 @ 104 is all due to traction. I didn't use slicks but I managed a 13.5@104MPH. As you can see, same trap speed which means similar horsepower. Being that it's FWD, we just need some really grippy tires and hard suspension to make sure we put all the power we have to the ground.
Old 06-30-2003, 11:59 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
You should got to acura-cl.com to see many with the s/c set-up. Much information at hand...
I'd venture to say the C&D article is total crap. Six speed or not, that time was absolutely hideous. There is no way that car runs that weak of times. No way.
Many of us here have no nitrous, no turbo, no s/c and have or could lay track times just as quick as that C&D test in the dead heat adn humidity of Florida, over and over again.

I have nothing against nitrous, but I want power ALL the time. Everytime I get in the car. Everytime I hit the gas. Teh big delay with many of us on the s/c is the fact that a whole new piggyback computer is coming out that will provide more power for the automatic cars. It makes sense to wait the three months or so for that to come to fruition...
Lastly, there is talk of a unichip coming shortly (again on a-cl.com) that will significantly change hp and shift points of our cars. That is what I'm most interested in.
Old 06-30-2003, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
don't know about this unichip ... may turn out to be a no-go .. the same company promised these Prototype Racing Headers some time ago that would have put all the CT header power in the midrange of our cars.. (how cool would that be!! we'd actually have low to midrange torque!!) but they never came to fruition.. so I am very doubtful about the piggyback unit...
Old 06-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

r10apple,

Do you know where I could find more info on this "piggyback" computer, and do you have any idea what kind of perf increases they are talking about?

Thanks!