Percentage of Forum members with transmission failures?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2001, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Percentage of Forum members with transmission failures?

This is for the moderators. I was wondering if you can tell us what percentage of TLS owners, active on this forum, have reported serious transmission problems or failures. I know it's high, but a number would be nice, if you can.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

Actually, it's not that high. I don't know the figures, but it's not that bad. Obviously you wouldn't take all members, but pretty much any member with a '99 and up which covers the last 2 gens. I would be shocked if the tranny failure percentage was over 1.5%. So 1.5% of the forum probably equals to less then 1% overall failure. Keep in mind that those numbers are just from reading other people's estimates. I don't know exact figures, and my guess is neither would the moderators. They have the same access to the same information we do (unless members are emailing moderators when they bring their car in for service)......
Old 11-28-2001, 12:06 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are absolutely right, but I think is more like 1%. 1% of 4000 members = 40 that's about how many members I have seen on the forum with tranny failures.

There is no way we moderators can track tranny failures. If users were force to answer YES or NO to tranny failures when they register, then maybe you could get a close figure, but then again how do you keep it updated since it could happen after you became a member(register). So in other words not possible.

Originally posted by juniorbean
Actually, it's not that high. I don't know the figures, but it's not that bad. Obviously you wouldn't take all members, but pretty much any member with a '99 and up which covers the last 2 gens. I would be shocked if the tranny failure percentage was over 1.5%. So 1.5% of the forum probably equals to less then 1% overall failure. Keep in mind that those numbers are just from reading other people's estimates. I don't know exact figures, and my guess is neither would the moderators. They have the same access to the same information we do (unless members are emailing moderators when they bring their car in for service)......
Old 11-28-2001, 02:40 PM
Instructor

My original request was ONLY for members with TLS failures. This would be much higher, from all I can see. Anyway, I wasn't aware that the transmission failure was a big TL problem 3 years ago. Are you saying that, from your experience, transmission failures are evenly spread over the last three years of TL production?

I thought you might have a convenient way to gather this type of statistic (total TLS members) from the forum database.
Old 11-28-2001, 03:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by LarryLynx
My original request was ONLY for members with TLS failures. This would be much higher, from all I can see. Anyway, I wasn't aware that the transmission failure was a big TL problem 3 years ago. Are you saying that, from your experience, transmission failures are evenly spread over the last three years of TL production?

I thought you might have a convenient way to gather this type of statistic (total TLS members) from the forum database.
I think it's a problem in general. I've seen members in the TL forum with tranny's that need replacement too. If you're specifically talking TL-S members, I still think you're only looking at a 1%-2% failure rate. There's got to be several hundred TypeS owners on here now and you're only looking at a handfull of tranny failures (what are we up to?? 10-12??). You have to count all members who are registered with a Type-S, not just active ones. How many inactive ones with only 15 posts over the last 7 months have come on here lately to report trouble?? A few, so if you count them, then all TL-S owners on here should be factored in.

The Administrators (not mods) may be able to check how many people registerd own a Type-S, but even that wouldn't be 100% accurate unless every member indicated on their preferences/options that they own a Type-S. I know mine doesn't say that I do.......
Old 11-28-2001, 06:33 PM
Instructor

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 11-28-2001, 07:08 PM
Racer

My mom just got a new transmission on her 18,000 mile old Chevy Tracker. Fortunately it was under warranty.

My grandparents just had a transmission problem on their just over 3 year old, just out of warranty 1999 Chrysler LHS with 27,000 miles on it. $500 to fix some sensors of some sort.

My 1999 Chrysler 300M had 42,000 miles when it needed a new transmission shift cable.

We like to think that an Acura has better build quality than the above mentioned vehicles, but we should not get too worried when we hear about a few transmission failures. The wonderful thing about these boards is the wealth of information they provide us. Unfortunately, through this information can cause a little bit of unfounded panic.

I admit that I have been questioning the behavior of the tranny on my TL-S lately. I have noticed the slight nudge the car takes when the compressor turns on when at a stop. While it seems a little odd, I do accept the explanation.

It is human nature to share our fears more than our joys!
Old 11-28-2001, 11:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wash n Wax
My mom just got a new transmission on her 18,000 mile old Chevy Tracker. Fortunately it was under warranty.

My grandparents just had a transmission problem on their just over 3 year old, just out of warranty 1999 Chrysler LHS with 27,000 miles on it. $500 to fix some sensors of some sort.

My 1999 Chrysler 300M had 42,000 miles when it needed a new transmission shift cable.

We like to think that an Acura has better build quality than the above mentioned vehicles, but we should not get too worried when we hear about a few transmission failures. The wonderful thing about these boards is the wealth of information they provide us. Unfortunately, through this information can cause a little bit of unfounded panic.

I admit that I have been questioning the behavior of the tranny on my TL-S lately. I have noticed the slight nudge the car takes when the compressor turns on when at a stop. While it seems a little odd, I do accept the explanation.

It is human nature to share our fears more than our joys!
My sister in her late teens has a 1971 Peugeot 504. It went through 6 transmissions in a year and a half (all fixed under warranty).

Talk about POS cars (although it did ride great over huge bumps and dips)
Old 11-29-2001, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Whenever I think of great cars, I think of France, no?