Passenger Side HID Fog Light went out NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 03:49 PM
The Talk of New York

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Passenger Side HID Fog Light went out NEED HELP

So it was raining really hard about a week ago, and I was driving, and like always, I had my fog lights on. Then when I pull into my cousins driveway, he tells me that my passenger side fog light just blinked for a few secs and just stopped working. I checked, and he was right, the right fog light was not working anymore but the left one was.

So I decided not to panic or anything and just turned off the fog lights, and like 2 hours later I turned them back on and they both worked fine, but I turned them back off again.

And now, ever since I last turned them back on when they worked, the passenger side fog light doesnt light up anymore.

Does anybody have any idea what could be causing this issue? I really dont have hundreds of dollars to spend to fix this problem...I was hoping it would be something simple as a loose bulb or something....

Anybody know how to check what the problem could be, and anybody know how to even get the bulbs out?

All your help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:07 PM
VS#03

That happen to me on 04 RX330.......some how moisture get in your ballaster which cause it to short out. The sympthoms are they same that you describe........turning off when the car is on and when turn them off and on it will turn on again. Eventually it won't ignite on, due to the ballaster burned out. You have to get a new ballaster......when you get the new ballaster wrap it with like Saran Wrap to prevent water from penatrating the ballaster.

Kevin
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
The Talk of New York

wow damm it, is a new ballaster expensive? could you please tell me approximitly how much they usually run for?
Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM
2Poor 2Furious

Try swapping the bulbs from one side to the other. That way you can confirm if its the bulb or the HID ballast/igniter. Eg: put the "good" drivers bulb into the "bad" passenger ballast to check if that passenger ballast is really gone, and put the "bad" passenger bulb into the "good" driver ballast to check if the passenger bulb is bad.

Did you buy your TL with the HID fogs? Ballasts vary in price. If you have a cheap ebay kit, then just buy another kit for about $150. If its a higher end one, then the you may wanna get a replacement ballast from the same company.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:38 PM
VS#03

Originally Posted by t0ast
Try swapping the bulbs from one side to the other. That way you can confirm if its the bulb or the HID ballast/igniter. Eg: put the "good" drivers bulb into the "bad" passenger ballast to check if that passenger ballast is really gone, and put the "bad" passenger bulb into the "good" driver ballast to check if the passenger bulb is bad.

Did you buy your TL with the HID fogs? Ballasts vary in price. If you have a cheap ebay kit, then just buy another kit for about $150. If its a higher end one, then the you may wanna get a replacement ballast from the same company.

Yeah that is true......take the driver side bulb out and test it in the passenger side to see if works. If the Hid kit is aftermarket.......you may have to buy the whole kit again, I think it's $300 for the kit.

Kevin
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I mounted my ballasts directly below my headlight ballasts behind my bumper to keep them dry, plus I sealed all my plug n play harnesses near the foglight with plenty of electrical tape to keep out moisture as well. I suspect water got to your wiring harness or the ballast itself. Do the bulb swap and see if that side still doesn't work. If not, you need a new ballast/igniter assembly.