Passenger jack point "imploded"! Ever happen to anyone before?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 07:47 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Passenger jack point "imploded"! Ever happen to anyone before?

Had my car on a hydraulic jack this weekend and luckily a jack stand underneath the car when all of a sudden BOOM ... the front passenger side jack point for my car bent forward towards the passenger side of the car ...

It didn't fall off, instead of facing downwards, it now faces outwards!?! I have my car scheduled for a Thursday appt. anyways for the Timing belt tensioner recall... but I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? I'm lucky I used a jack stand, or else the car would've probably landed on the wheel assembly since I had the tire off..

Let this be a lesson to everyone who doesn't use a jack stand ... They're very important!

BTW- Do you think this will be covered under warranty? I was the one who put the car on the jack, but I don't think the jack point should have broken like that...
Old 11-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my front 2 jack poitns are bent too...their so weak..tell me how it goes at te dealer
Old 11-12-2003, 09:45 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, that's why I always use a jack stand for added safety.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Re: Passenger jack point "imploded"! Ever happen to anyone before?

Originally posted by LiQiCE
Had my car on a hydraulic jack this weekend and luckily a jack stand underneath the car when all of a sudden BOOM ... the front passenger side jack point for my car bent forward towards the passenger side of the car ...

It didn't fall off, instead of facing downwards, it now faces outwards!?! I have my car scheduled for a Thursday appt. anyways for the Timing belt tensioner recall... but I was wondering if this has ever happened to anyone? I'm lucky I used a jack stand, or else the car would've probably landed on the wheel assembly since I had the tire off..

Let this be a lesson to everyone who doesn't use a jack stand ... They're very important!

BTW- Do you think this will be covered under warranty? I was the one who put the car on the jack, but I don't think the jack point should have broken like that...
the factory jack point doesnt face forward.
for the jack should have a lifting pad thats like 3-5 inches in dia. not the cheap 1-2 inch lift pads. those will bend ofer almost every thing and are unsafe.
where exactly did you jack it from?
and no it wouldnt be covered under warranty
Old 11-13-2003, 05:35 AM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Re: Passenger jack point "imploded"! Ever happen to anyone before?

Originally posted by fsttyms1
the factory jack point doesnt face forward.
for the jack should have a lifting pad thats like 3-5 inches in dia. not the cheap 1-2 inch lift pads. those will bend ofer almost every thing and are unsafe.
where exactly did you jack it from?
and no it wouldnt be covered under warranty
Well I know it doesn't face forward ... thats the entire problem! ...

Normally there's a rectangular piece of metal that faces straight down, and my jack has a circular piece with grooves in it that "catch" the piece of metal ... The piece is about the same size as the actual jack point, so I don't think its too small. I jacked it from the point underneath the car where the little arrow points to ... Its where you'd put the factory jack at if you wanted to change the tire to the spare because of a flat. I wanted to take the front passenger side wheel off so I used that same point ... Its definitely where you're supposed to jack up the car, its just a matter of why the heck did the point itself bend forward ...

I think if it bent forward because its just made poorly then it should be covered under warranty ... The jack I have is better than the factory jack and I don't think it caused the problem .. after all the other 3 jack points are just fine and the car has been lifted with the same jack at the other 3 points.
Old 11-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What might have happened is that your circular jack plate is not deep enough and the metal jack point on the car( the part that points strait down) is resting on the circular jack plate of your jack. It is not designed for that. If you look at the jack that comes with the car, there is a slot that the metal peice on the car fits in and the jack itself is actually pushing up on the frame of the car and not pressure is apllied to that metal jack point. The metal jack point is used only as a guide so you know where to place the jack, it is not designed to be used to push the car up.. The jack should be pushing the car up on the frame above the metal plate. This is why alot of the hydraulic jacks with circular jack plates do not have deep enough grooves for the plate on the car to go through and the jacks are actually pushing up on the plate on the car and not the frame of the car, and this is where it gets dangerous.. Again, the jak points are not meant to be used to push the car up, it is just a guide to so that you can push the car up on the Frame of the car at that point since the frame is reinforced at that point to withstand the weight of the car without damaging the frame.. I do not think that would be covered uder warrenty since the jack was pushing up on the plate itslef and not the frame.. But the dealer might oversee it and cover it anyways since now that the plate is bent you cannot use the jack that came with the car to jack it up anymore (since the plate will not be pointing down to go into the jack's groove) this can be a rather hazardouse issues if you tire blows and you need to chaneg the tire using the car's jack... unles syou carry the other hydroulic jack in the trunk
Old 11-13-2003, 10:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
the jack point is strong enough to lift the car if the lifting device touches the whole thing. the jack i have the lifting point fits in the jack lifting pad. the lifting point as a strong part of the car, its designed to support the weight of the car on a lift. i use it to support the car with jack stands and have never had a problem with them. i dont know why yours would bend unless the lift point wasnt distributed on the jack evenly?
Old 11-13-2003, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine is bent outwards too like completely 90 degrees from what it is supposed to be. I had my jack stands too but it didnt go boom.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:49 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought one of these about 7 years ago when I had another car. It's indespensable.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/itemdy00.a...1.x=71&I1.y=50

Really I wound up buying both the slotted adapter and the rubber padded one.