Parrot hands free kit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parrot hands free kit.

Does anybody have a parrot handsfree kit installed in their car?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:34 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only other thread I've been able to find around here that even mentioned a car phone handsfree kit was specifically for a Parrott CK3000 (Bluetooth) in a 2003 TL-S:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78459

In that thread there's mention of some standard wiring harnesses you can find at http://installer.com/wires/index.html but basically that amounts to two harnesses for the Parrott, and two harnesses for your car, which you can presumably tie together to do what you need.

I currently have an old Nokia hands free car kit for a phone I'm about to dump so I'm not sure I'll bother installing that kit in my (new to me) 1999 TL. I think my next phone will be a Treo 650 (Bluetooth) so I'll probably want to find a good car kit that works with the 650 and can be integrated into my car.

The easiest thing would be to NOT try to integrate it into the car's audio, but what I'd really like to do would be to tie it in similarly to the way the Navigation system works. For that, I'm hoping to do the same thing the Nav does to mute the front audio, and then route the signal (ever so carefully) like the Nav unit does. Since the Nav has two dedicated audio inputs into the head unit, I thought it might work to route Nav to just the front left, and send the car phone audio to the front right (to avoid having the Nav and car kit getting upset with each other). Then I just need to figure out if the mute signal is positive or maybe just an open-collector ground, or if it's something I'd need a relay for. I'll probably order an ETM for the TL before I take on any of this since the pictures and wiring diagrams are often quite useful.

If I can do this, then the stereo will still work in the back, the nav will be able to use the front left speaker, and the car phone will come out the front right speaker.

Anyway, I get the feeling (cruising around here over the past week) that more people are into replacing the stock audio gear rather than trying to integrate with it, aside from the occasional person using one of the various iPod (or XM) adapters... I'm still trying to sort out what the best iPod approach is -- an adapter that charges the iPod, works with a stock head unit in a car with Navigation, and also allows the "next" button on the steering wheel to skip tracks on the iPod.

What I'd really like is to be able to use the Nav touchscreen to do music selection and control; I've seen some sites where people have installed mobile media PC systems but I'm not really interested in losing (and more importantly, paying to replace a perfectly functional) stock stereo and navigation system...