Painting my Grill - Looking for place & Price

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:39 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting my Grill - Looking for place & Price

Mine is a 2000 pepery red. I want to paint the grill with a matching red colour. Got 17 threds from STFF and none showed me how.

Can you suggest a shop in Fairfax, Virginia?
How much would be a fair price.
ANy one happen to know/have a pix of peppery red with matching painted grill?
Does paint stick to plastic well? (no bubble or cracking/flaking after a while?)

I want to paint the entire grill (meshing included) except for the emblem itself.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 AM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if it is primed it shoud stick fine to the plastic. I am in Canada so I can't help you with a shop, sorry.

If it's just your grille, I wouldn't pay more that 100 bucks, but you have to think about the painter, he probably doesn't have that color, he'll have to make it so there might be a litle more paint made than used on your grille, he will charge you for that obviously.

I am going to re paint my front bumper (scratches, I bought it used), mesh to be put in fog light openings and across the hole in the center, and the grille. So I am pricing a couple of gallons of my color paint instead of the price to do it. A paint gun costs a few bucks, I can borrow (rent if you want) an air compressor and I'm going to do it my self. Much cheaper in the long run, plus you get to have more experience working with the car. If you goof up, you goof up, it's not the end of the world.

P.S. i know a couple of gallons of paint is way too much for just thoes pieces mentioned, I am doing a custom fiberglass enclosure for the trunk on both sides, I need the paint for that too.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:38 AM
Rock Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea cant help u w a shop either but on my 03 TLS i got all the black painted WDP and it cost $150.00 well worth it.... ill tell ya alot of shops will bitch and say oh its not worth it cause a rock or road debris can cause it to chip....... and sometimes the paint doesnt adhere to the plastic that well....and those were even some of the concearns the manager of the body shop had...that was until his paint guy came out and looked at the car and said no i can paint it......well its been a yr now and knock on wood there has been nothing wrong....good luck man