Paint Rusting???

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 03:48 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Paint Rusting???

I have a WDP 02 TL-S that was purchased last May...and i noticed that the paint on my car has little (little as in specks of dust little). You can't see them unless you try. At first i thought it was only dirt so i washed it, but when i slide my hand over the car, you can feel the little specks, they are all over the top (hood, truck, roof) of the car. So i thought, waxing/buffing would do the trick....well, its been 5 wax jobs and the specks are still there. It seems like the specks are rust , i took my finger and sratched it , and it comes off. Can anyone tell me what to do? Is it a manufactur defect in the paint?
Old 03-07-2002, 04:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Paint Rusting???

Originally posted by AcuraTLFan
It seems like the specks are rust , i took my finger and sratched it , and it comes off. Can anyone tell me what to do? Is it a manufactur defect in the paint?
umm........ if i get you right, you are saying when you scratch those stuff they come off and you see the paint underneath again? if that's the case i don't think they are rust. the metal isn't even exposed at all so how could get rust? i think it's highly possible that they are something like bird's droppings, fruit juice (you know those stuff that falls from the trees sometimes), etc.... got on your car when it's parked or driving, and dried.

once they are dried they could be pretty hard and sticky. you either have to use quite a bit of water to soak them or you have to scratch them off like what you did.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:24 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Paint Rusting???

Originally posted by rominl

i think it's highly possible that they are something like bird's droppings, fruit juice (you know those stuff that falls from the trees sometimes), etc.... got on your car when it's parked or driving, and dried.
You mean tree sap? I know exactly what he is talking about because I had the very same thing. Just use a clay bar to take care of it.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Without question, you need to clay your car.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:27 AM
Having Fun?

It may be iron depending on how your car was delivered to the dealer. i.e. If it was brought in on train, iron is infamous for getting on cars. This is one reason they have that white plastic covering most of the car during transit to the dealer. Just an idea.
Old 03-07-2002, 09:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by copland007
It may be iron depending on how your car was delivered to the dealer. i.e. If it was brought in on train, iron is infamous for getting on cars. This is one reason they have that white plastic covering most of the car during transit to the dealer. Just an idea.
Yup...the infamous "Rail Dust" That stuff does nasty things to a paint job if you don't remove it.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:02 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, i have a wdp TL, and i had the little speckles on my paint. If you rub hard enough they come off. But, i used a clay bar and voila, a wash and wax later, and there were no speckles and the car shined like a beauty.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:00 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for your help guys....it isn't tree sap or bird droppings...it seems more like what you guys describe as "Rail Dust". When i rub hard then it comes off exposing the original paint. Do you know where i can get a "Clay Bar"? and how do i use it? Because i hear people messing up their cars even more if they don't know how to use it.
Old 03-07-2002, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

I would like to know too. I have the same problem. They are yellowish little dots. What is clay bar anyway? What does it do? Thanks.
Old 03-07-2002, 05:52 PM
Racer

YOu shouldn't have any problems using the clay bar...just make sure the paint surface is clean (ie. wash w/ a dishwashing soap such as liquid dawn to strip off any old wax) and make sure you keep the surface lubricated while your rub the clay bard across your paint. People usually use like a quick detailer or a mixture of car soap and water to lubricate...

The clay bar will rid your paint of the surface contaminants such as rail dust and other things that might have decided to attach themselves to your car's finish...

My cousin just got his car back from a shop and there was some over spray over the rear wheel well...and the clay bar took it right out!!
Old 03-08-2002, 04:46 AM
TL Type-S Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I posted on the same subject two days ago, the guys recommended a clay bar. I went to walmart and picked up a mothers clay bar. Took me around an hour to do the whole car and now it is smooth as glass. Do it man, just do it. Oh by the way, wax afterward.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:49 PM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I noticed the exact same thing a while back and I started freaking out so I flew over to the dealer and the guy told me it was rail dust. It's good to know that claybarring my car will take it off.