Paint Peeling

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint Peeling

I just returned from washing my car and i noticed that my paint is pelling like a banana at the top of the hood. It definately was not there before i washed the car. Anyone have experience with repairing this damage? I may attempt to cover it up with touch up paint but i think it may turn out to look pretty bad.

ill post some pics here in a bit
Old 03-07-2002, 02:10 PM
Instructor

A real crappy pic
Old 03-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Instructor

That looks horrible. I can't imagine a simple car washing causing that? What do they put in the water, some type of acid?
Old 03-07-2002, 02:25 PM
Having Fun?

Where on the hood is that? Has your car ever had the 'bra' on it?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro

Okay, a WHILE back there was a new TL-S that this EXACT thing happened to. Anyway, he ended up hounding the dealership, threatening to call the news in....and they wanted to refund him all his money on the tl-s. Instead, the guy opted to buy an MDX at an incredible price (it was a demo).....almost the same price, if not cheaper, than his tl-s was.....a couple of posts after...he was happy as could be. Haven't heard from that guy since.

DON'T try to touch it up first....your experience is not the first time we've heard of "peeling paint", so take it back to your dealership!

Best wishes with that.

Let us know what the dealership says
Old 03-07-2002, 06:24 PM
Racer

next time don't wash it with chlorine and a brill-o pad

but seriously, if it was a drive through with those nasty rotating scratchmasters, you deserve what you got. subjecting your car to a drive through should be touch free only and only as a last resort touch up until your detail guy can get to it.
Old 03-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Instructor

copland007 "Where on the hood is that? Has your car ever had the 'bra' on it?"
The peeling is located almost directly above the driver side windshield wiper, on the edge of the hood. It almost looks like some1 sanded the paint off. And no, i have never had a "bra" on the car, but this situation makes me want to get one, despite the fact that it would have not prevented this from happening.

Frohlich "That looks horrible. I can't imagine a simple car washing causing that? What do they put in the water, some type of acid?"
Its probably some form of concentrated bird poop liquid
I dont know how the hell it happened, but i do know for sure that it was not there before i washed the car. Its very ovbious when sitting in the drivers seat.

TL4Mo "DON'T try to touch it up first....your experience is not the first time we've heard of "peeling paint", so take it back to your dealership!"
Now that i think about it, im not going to mess with this myself at all. If i touch it up, it will be hard to prove to the dealer that its a big problem. I have spring break in approx. 2 weeks, so u bet the dealer will be hearing from me.

Here's a list of the things im going to get fixed during S.B.
All the service bullitens (hopefully)
replace leaking headlight
replace alternator and/or battery
check the tranny fluid
repaint the entire car(LOL, i wish)
Old 03-07-2002, 06:31 PM
Instructor

[
jbrown "but seriously, if it was a drive through with those nasty rotating scratchmasters, you deserve what you got. subjecting your car to a drive through should be touch free only and only as a last resort touch up until your detail guy can get to it."
I always wash my car myself. I dont even use a towel to dry, i just take a quick spin on the highway and airdry. Those automatic car washes scare me
Old 03-07-2002, 06:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
It might not be a defect, but an accident

I had similar damage to my Accord a little while back, my damage looked exactly the same as yours, in the same spot. It was not caused by a paint defect though. It was carelessness on my part and I only discovered it a little while later when I climbed back into my car after doing it.

One day while washing my car I had my drivers side windshield wiper up and bent up at the hinge perpindicular to the windshield off of the glass. While it was like that, I opened up the hood to wipe down the seams and plastic shrouds. Well when I did that the hood hit the underside of the windshield wiper and scraped the paint off of it exactly like in your picture and in the same spot. Its scraped/sanded it off nice and clean. Which is damage that sounds like it came from some kind of contact at some time as opposed to a paint defect.

Is it possible someone at the car wash, a shop, or at home damaged the paint by opening the hood while the windshield wiper was not contacting the windshield?? They may not have noticed it at the time because the contact would have just knocked the wiper back down on to the glass, and you may ahve definitely not noticed it either.

You can check to see if this is possible by raising the windshield wiper off the glass and seeing if the damaged area looks like it would contact the hood in that spot if the hood was raised while it was still off the glass. At that spot at 1 inch away from the hinge it looks like thats where it would hit exactly. Check and find out.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:00 PM
Instructor

Mr. Hyde,
I checked the location of the peeling compared to the wiper and guess what? the scratch is right above the joint where the wiper bends. Awhile back, my wipers stopped working for some odd reason and i got all pissed off and tried to mess with them. Eventually, they started working, but i did not have the hood up at any time. U think the wipers could still come in contact with the hood even if it wasnt open??

Thanks alot for the info. Do u think the dealer will fix it under warranty??
Old 03-07-2002, 07:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by CO-TLS
Mr. Hyde,
I checked the location of the peeling compared to the wiper and guess what? the scratch is right above the joint where the wiper bends. Awhile back, my wipers stopped working for some odd reason and i got all pissed off and tried to mess with them. Eventually, they started working, but i did not have the hood up at any time. U think the wipers could still come in contact with the hood even if it wasnt open??

Thanks alot for the info. Do u think the dealer will fix it under warranty??
I dont think the wiper could touch the hood if the hood wasnt open at the same time, but before they suddenly started acting weird, did anyone else work on the car dealer or otherwise? Perhaps the damage occured at some point before that and that is what was causing the wiper problem.

If it was caused by the wiper, it might not be covered under warranty unless perhaps the dealership did the damage while servicing or working on the car, and they accept responsibility for it. Although even if they did, I dont see a complete Hood repaint as their solution, just maybe touch up paint.
Old 03-07-2002, 08:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

doesnt the right blade touch the hood even when its closed on the 02 tl? it does on the previous tls. someone definately hit that with the blade