To paint or not to paint - Hi All, I am new here...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:16 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To paint or not to paint - Hi All, I am new here...

Just picked up a Acura certified 2000 TL with 37K miles on it.

For my first post I would like to have your input on this subject: I want to paint it with a non OEM colour !!!

1. Can an everage or better than everage bodyshop deiliever the quality of the OME paint?
2. Painting it surely will screw up the value of the TL, right?
3. How much would be a fair price for a better than everage paint job?
4. I am in Northern Virginia, can someone please recomemnd a reputable shop?
5. uhmmm... may be this is a terrible idea, no?

I want the grayish metalic grape colour that came with a very early Legend model. SOme of you may remember this colour

Thank you all ( and please dont flame me, yet)
Old 04-11-2004, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad idea. If you go to sell the car in a year or two - people with think that the car was crashed and the paint job was done to repair the car.

A good paint job for a car worth $15,000 must be in the $2,500 - $4,000 range.

Just my 2 cents.....
Old 04-12-2004, 12:05 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want a gray TL..paint it the Anthracite color that's available for the TLs.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by benZer
1. Can an everage or better than everage bodyshop deiliever the quality of the OME paint?
2. Painting it surely will screw up the value of the TL, right?
3. How much would be a fair price for a better than everage paint job?
4. I am in Northern Virginia, can someone please recomemnd a reputable shop?
5. uhmmm... may be this is a terrible idea, no?
1. In theory, sure, if you could find a place that will spend the time to do it perfectly, then a new paint job can look great. However, in this scenario, I would guess a dealer with this capability would have to do it, and if a dealer does it, then get ready to pay through the nose.

2. Yes - no matter who paints it or how good it looks, like peabodyn said, it looks shady come trade-in time.

3. A few years back, we had a massive hail storm in this area and my old '89 accord got beat to death. Not including the 2 replaced body panels - the work to repaint the top panels, and half way down the sides of the car was $3K (had there been another $500 in damage to the car, it would have been totaled). Within 2 years, I had rust "blisters" and peels forming in the newly painted areas.

4. I would highly NOT recommend Chantilly Auto Body out on 50 West, near Pleasant Valley Road. They did my car and my moms old '97 DeVille after the hail storm. Both cars had paint issues and took an excessive amount of time to paint (my car took 6 weeks, my mom's car took a 15 weeks - which would have been even longer had we not pulled in a lawyer, and our insurance company.) However, Pohanka Acura on 50 (near the intersection of 50 and 28) seems to have their act together (I bought my car from them last May, and have gone to them for everything – they have great people out there) and they have a pretty decent sized collision center. I'm sure they have the ability to repaint your car - but it would probably have to be a factory color.

5. Overall, personally, I wouldn't repaint the car unless its current paint job was a mess and the resale of the car would be less if the paint was left untouched vs repainting the car and taking the "possible accident" hit during trade in. But, ultimately, it's your decision and money. With $2-$5K, you could do a lot of performance mods to your car.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
any good body shop can equil or better a factory finish. what you paln on spending is the amount of work you are willing to pay for. do you want under hood, engine compartment,doors, trunk all painted? get ready for a big bill. 3-5 big ones. (by a good shop) as far as making it look shady when it comes time to sell, not really (unless its a bad paint job or a bad color for the car) keep a copy of the reciept for proof that it wasnt body repair(wrecked) just a repaint.
i would recomend like `ill*tl said paint it Anthracite. thats a nice dark grey