Opinion on BRAKES/warped rotor

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2001, 02:40 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Opinion on BRAKES/warped rotor

Okay guys, I need your help and opinions again.

My front brake rotors are warped. The dealer wont cover it under warranty. I know that some of you have had your rotors machined or replaced by the dealers, did you guys paid for that? Was there a recall on it? I have a 2000TL with 34000Km on it.

Maybe things are a bit different here in Canada, but anyways. If have to pay to machine the rotors. Would you guys rather replace the rotor with aftermarket ones and perhaps upgrade the pads as well?

Now, I will trade in my car sooner or later. Most likely it will be a year later. Will the aftermarket rotor and pads affect the trade in value? Now, if I am trading it in anyways, then would you guys rather leave it stock?

Thanks so much for your opinions...
Old 09-20-2001, 02:51 AM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Opinion on BRAKES/warped rotor

Originally posted by SL1200MK4

My front brake rotors are warped. The dealer wont cover it under warranty. I know that some of you have had your rotors machined or replaced by the dealers, did you guys paid for that? Was there a recall on it? I have a 2000TL with 34000Km on it.

Maybe things are a bit different here in Canada, but anyways. If have to pay to machine the rotors. Would you guys rather replace the rotor with aftermarket ones and perhaps upgrade the pads as well?

Now, I will trade in my car sooner or later. Most likely it will be a year later. Will the aftermarket rotor and pads affect the trade in value? Now, if I am trading it in anyways, then would you guys rather leave it stock?

My warranty ran out so my warped rotors were not fixed under warranty. I had over 50K miles before my rotors warped (I have a 99 TL). As far as replacing the rotors, I used the OEM ones again. But I am planning to change it to an aftermarket one. Still waiting to see what Tim has to offer.
BTW, I don't know if the aftermarket rotor and pads will affect the trade-in value. But if you are definitely trading it in then I would leave it stock.
Old 09-20-2001, 02:59 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had my stock rotors turned and switched pads. I figured changing one part of the combination would help with my braking woes and the accompanying shaking. I switched to porterfield pads...i love these pads and have used them on another car...but a little expensive. haven't noticed a return of the shakes.

in terms of trade-in value...you won't make money on the upgrade but dealers in their haste to close a deal usually either won't notice it or won't care since rotors are meant to be replaced anyways at some point in the life of the car. but i'm not positive. i would turn the rotors and change the pads if youre going to be getting rid of the car anyways.
Old 09-20-2001, 03:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Agree with Jimster. Don't waste you money buying expensive aftermarket goodies if you plan on dumping the car in a bit. Just turn the rotors, and install new pads. Let the freak'n dealer take the "bath" on new goods after you dump it.

Jim
Old 09-20-2001, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

At my 15,000 miles service the dealership replaced Rotors &
Pads under warranty. I took the car in at 11,500 srvice & reported the same problem they said everything was fine but to brig it back if I had problems. So they replaced with new stuff at 15,000 under warranty.
Old 09-20-2001, 01:09 PM
Retired MOD

Re: Opinion on BRAKES/warped rotor

They have to. They did mines twice. They try to tell me thay it was my driving and the would not covered. So I print out a thread like this and show them that I was not the only one with the problem. They re-surface and it was fine for a like 10k miles before they warped again. So Acura found out that the pads had too much metal in them and that was the cause of the warping. So the now are replacing the pads too.

Good luck, and YES they should re-surface your rotors and give you new softer pads.

Originally posted by SL1200MK4

Old 09-20-2001, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ideally you would want them to replace instead of resurfacing. In my case, they said that they didn't have to remove much so they went the resurfacing route.

Provided that you promptly replace the pads next time your brake pads wear out, you should be able to resurface the rotors a couple, three times at least.

When I traded in my Vigor, 111K miles, I had resurfaced the rotors twice and they were still within specs.

The problem arises when people ignore the brake warning sensors (when the pads are worn) and reach a point where you have the metal backing of the pads coming in contact with the rotors. The rotors then become deeply scored (grooved) and you have to shave off quite a bit of metal to make them smooth again.

You then run into a situation where you need to replace the rotors next time the brakes are serviced, because they're too thin.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2001, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Thanks for your input. I will try to deal with them...

Any Canadian owner out there have similar problems? what did your dealer do for you?
Old 09-21-2001, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
hi guys, I own an Accord V6 and are currently debating on a brake service issue as well. I already purchased a set of rear Axxis Metal Master pads for my brake service that's coming up. However, I can not decide whether I should use these with resurfaced or new OEM rotors. Some of you mentioned that pads with too much metal in them warp rotors. I am not sure how much metal is too much since Axxis Metal Master are "semi-metallic." Has anyone tried Axxis Metal Master pads with OEM rotors?

My front rotors are currently Powerstops with Axxis Metal Master, the surfaces on the left and right sides are both smooth to the touch, so no problems there. Both rear OEM rotors currently have uneven surfaces. Therefore, the main debate is wether to get a rear set of Powerstop rotors or replace/resurface the rears with OEM rotors. And again, I want to say that I already have a set of rear Axxis Metal Master pads.

thanks.
Old 09-21-2001, 02:45 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors should not be warped on 34K Km anyway. Second, there is a service bulletin about brakes. So be persistent, try other dealerships if the first one does not want to do the job under warranty and you should be able to get new softer pads and at least machined rotors. I am saying at least, because you should absolutely insist on new rotors.
I had a same brake problem with my other car and it took me a lot of time and nerves but I was able to get new rotors and new pads. Of course, those are the dealers; they do want to rip you off only if they can.
Old 09-25-2001, 09:37 PM
Drifting

any one have the bulletin # on the brakes? Anyone know if they have a bulletin on brake in CANADA? THANKS SO MUCH I REALLY REALLY NEED THOSE INFOMATION