oh my freakin' lord! a nightmare story.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002, 04:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy oh my freakin' lord! a nightmare story.

had the worst luck these past 2 wks.

1. week and a half ago, someone jacked my "Type S" badge, leaving a few scratch marks.

2. Thanksgiving day, heading to my folks house for dinner. I was kinda tired. It was a 2 lane exit. Stupid me, was right behind the only guy off the off-ramp. Checked cross-traffic: clear. Glanced forward, saw his brake lights go off (me thinking he's going); check x-traffic again; it's clear. I let go of my brake, and look up - dude didn't go! hit his rear bumper. We pull over to the side; his car looks ok, mine on a quick glance has a few noticeable scratches. He asks if I'm ok, says it's no biggie, and we go. Cool guy. Whew.

3. Friday - I buy some Goo Gone to get rid of the adhesive left from the 'de-badging'. i've also removed the rest of the "TL 3.2". It's rained overnite, so I say, 'eh, why not give her a wash, so I can clean the goo gone, and try and polish the front bumper where there are some damn fugly scratches'. Give it a quick wash w/ my cotton mitt, then dry w/ chamois.

Well, whadya know. I knew it was gonna rain, but hell, I wanted an excuse to clean the whole car. Later that nite, I notice some scratches on the left side of the hood. then i go to the right; then to the trunk. OH MY FREAKIN' LORD. What in the mother of all that is holy have I done??? There musta been some thing in the wash mitt or chamois. I scratched the entire car. I was relegated to sulking the whole nite. F ME!!!!

4. Go to lunch w/ a friend, got some coffee afterward. Decided to walk around a little, go to the newstand, when I notice a parking cop. Oh Frick! Run to my car, and whadya know. A freakin' parking ticket. Late by ONE minute!

When will this nightmare end??? And don't get me started bout the cop who pulled me over for going thru a x-walk, where there were people standing on the sidewalk, last month.

Of course, this all coulda been avoided, I s'pose, but damn. My poor baby. All scratched up. Bought some Zaino Z-5. Hopefully it'll get her back to normal.

My question is this: if z-5 won't work to get these 'fine scratches' off, will 3M SMR do the trick?

Also, I am going to get me some microfiber towels for drying the car after the wash. Everyone agree that microfiber is better than a chamois? I'm going to make damn sure I check anything I use to apply and make sure nothing embedded. Can I get the microfiber towel at a Kragen, or Target?

Sorry for the long post; just had to let it out. Guess it's one of those day, days, weeks, months, years....
Old 12-02-2002, 05:02 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn, sorry to hear about all that.
Old 12-02-2002, 08:38 PM
Racer

yes... microfiber me gusta... pepboys, autozones... i hope your week gets better man. cheer up!
Old 12-02-2002, 09:18 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like somebodys in need of a vacation! go relax or do something.... cripes, I'd probably end up dead of a heart attack if all that were to happen to me!

-Ryan
'99 Satin Silver TL
Old 12-03-2002, 12:57 AM
Race Director

so how'd u scratch your car? So others of us can avoid your situation.. did u not clean your wash mitt after each panel cleaning?
Old 12-03-2002, 02:57 AM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just use sand paper and steel wool to wash my car. works good. :-D
Old 12-03-2002, 07:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Don't buy the MF towels from Pep Boys or AutoZone. Those things suck. They cause major microhazing. NicSand are one of the worst around.

Go to www.yosteve.com They sell high-quality MF towels.

As for 3M SMR, if you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, SMR won't do a whole lot to remove them.

I suggest either taking it to a professional detailer who can use a more abrasive product and a rotary polisher to get them off.
Old 12-03-2002, 08:25 AM
Comptech Freak

wow...i think u shouldn't drive for a while...
Old 12-03-2002, 08:46 AM
All Hail the Chief

"Falling down" Mickey...don't go insane.

NSXNext....what's wrong with the microfiber towels from Autozone? What exactly is "microhazing"? I've been buying these things non-stop, probably have 20 now. Been using them on the interior and to remove polish, until I got onto Zaino and started using a big cotton towel.
Old 12-03-2002, 09:11 AM
Pro

start smokin cigars & drinking like I do to cool off

we all have bad periods, hopefully yours is over... just remember it could always be worse.

If you can't get the scratches out go to a pro detailing shop and see if they can
Old 12-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

NSXNEXT is right on. Any scratches that have gone down to the primer are beyond repair with mild abrasives. Among the products mentioned, minor scratches are easily handled by Meguiars Fine Cut or Swirl Remover products. These work well when applied with a random orbiting buffer. I can easily remove fine scratches left from 1500 grit wet sanding. From what I've read online, the quality of microfiber products vary quite a bit. The same can be said for cotton towels. First try working on one area, then take it to a pro if you don't like the results.
Old 12-03-2002, 11:18 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by JPritch
"Falling down" Mickey...don't go insane.

NSXNext....what's wrong with the microfiber towels from Autozone? What exactly is "microhazing"? I've been buying these things non-stop, probably have 20 now. Been using them on the interior and to remove polish, until I got onto Zaino and started using a big cotton towel.
Trust me...NSXNext is right, the MF towels you can buy from autozone, Walmart, Target, and so on should not be used. They're not good. They're soaking power is no where near what a true MF towel can accomplish. Email me and I'll give you the name of the guy who I buy all my MF towels from. $2 for the standard 16x16 size MF towel...that's pretty much cheaper than what the stores sell and it's way better.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Racer

GET YOUR CAR CUT POLISHED AND BUFFED
if its just surface scratches then it will come out
if you feel a groove wen u put your finger over the scratch then there's nothing you can do...
Old 12-04-2002, 02:28 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry to hear about you ride , hope you can get all the scratches off, keep us post
Old 12-05-2002, 04:53 PM
Advanced

thanks guys for your input.

i will prob. try the sandpaper and 3M method.

anyone also know how to fill in a deep scratch on the rim? Z-5? 3M SMR?