2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Outperforms Comptech HEADERS

So he says......heres the link....can't wait for the Dyno sheet

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=80171
Old 09-11-2002, 06:15 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

35 wheel horse power!! can't believe it!! To good to be true!! I hope its true!!
Old 09-11-2002, 07:48 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lets wait and see what a few more dynos show.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Re: OBX Outperforms Comptech HEADERS

Maybe you should read the entire post. Here is an excerpt.

Originally posted by Zapata
Nashua has the UR PullySet running................. if he gains 10hp....the gain from the headers is around 25.....which would be the middle ground of comptech, it would infact be less than comptech.
He also has a CAI.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If the OBX is an admitted copy of the Comptech design, how is it going to produce gains higher than the design it copied?

Comptech themselves did the R&D, and the quality of their work is a little higher, so while the OBX may produce results close to the Comptech, how can it produce higher results without any changes in the design, or any R&D? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:25 AM
Racer

NSXNEXT....

you can't jsut add peak hp like that. I knwo you are trying to simplify things, but you are only going to confuse people who don't know any better. Some mods are going to act symbiotically and some will not. I would say the difference in numbers from comtech can't be more than 5% if they are truly a copy. Has anyone dynoes a TLS with just comptech headers?
Old 09-12-2002, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: NSXNEXT....

Originally posted by Ray_Khan
you can't jsut add peak hp like that. I knwo you are trying to simplify things, but you are only going to confuse people who don't know any better. Some mods are going to act symbiotically and some will not. I would say the difference in numbers from comtech can't be more than 5% if they are truly a copy. Has anyone dynoes a TLS with just comptech headers?
It's not my post, I quoted Zapata from the CL board. What I was trying to show is that people think he got 35 horsepower to the wheels from just the headers. He's got a bunch more stuff on his car than just headers, specifically the UR pulleys, which were dynoed at 10 hp to the wheels by themselves.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Pro

Re: Re: NSXNEXT....

Originally posted by NSXNEXT

It's not my post, I quoted Zapata from the CL board. What I was trying to show is that people think he got 35 horsepower to the wheels from just the headers. He's got a bunch more stuff on his car than just headers, specifically the UR pulleys, which were dynoed at 10 hp to the wheels by themselves.
In response to that, I will also quote something from the CL forum:

"guys, the pullies have nothing to do with this dyno....the pullies were INCLUDED with for his BASELINE Dyno numbers....the headers gave him an additional 35 hp over the BASELINE numbers (whatever they are, he hasnt said yet). so him having pullies doesnt mean anything, its not like he dynoed it stock and then put pullies AND headers on....the pullies were all ready on BEFORE he did his baseline dyno, so the headers DO INFACT give 35 hp....think about it...."

EDIT: this is jimcol711 on my girlfreinds name again

axleback
Old 09-12-2002, 09:47 AM
Banned

i would be interested in seeing something like that first hand ..... and then test driving it hehe
Old 09-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Pro

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
If the OBX is an admitted copy of the Comptech design, how is it going to produce gains higher than the design it copied?

Comptech themselves did the R&D, and the quality of their work is a little higher, so while the OBX may produce results close to the Comptech, how can it produce higher results without any changes in the design, or any R&D? That doesn't make any sense.
Yet another quote:

"Wow! Do you work for Comptech, or get royalties or something?!?! You sure defend their headers!

Not sure if you noticed, but the Comptech Y pipe is almost a direct copy of Acura's OEM piece (with a smoother 2-1 junction). And as for the actual "headers". There's pretty much only one way you can route 4 ports to 1 pipe with only 6" of pipe. Comptech just made some shorty headers that mount to an improved "Y-pipe".

So as you keep bashing OBX for "copying" Comptech, keep in mind their design isn't that original. Sure, they were the first to do it, and screw everyone with the $1200 price tag, but it's not that special. Kind of sad how you can buy really good headers for a 4-Cylinder for $300, but then that's supply/demand.

The ones from Prototype Racing on the otherhand are true original design. Equal length tubes that are long for better scavaging for more HP and better fuel economy. I'm drooling already while waiting for their dyno's!

And Greddy is coming out with a set as well....

But until then.... Where are the dyno's for the OBXs! Cruel bastard!"

axleback
Old 09-12-2002, 09:54 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: NSXNEXT....

Originally posted by axleback

"guys, the pullies have nothing to do with this dyno....the pullies were INCLUDED with for his BASELINE Dyno numbers....the headers gave him an additional 35 hp over the BASELINE numbers (whatever they are, he hasnt said yet). so him having pullies doesnt mean anything, its not like he dynoed it stock and then put pullies AND headers on....the pullies were all ready on BEFORE he did his baseline dyno, so the headers DO INFACT give 35 hp....think about it...."

axleback
Well if that's the case, I stand corrected.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

The saga continues.....

Originally posted by EricL

Actually, the pulleys will help -- any mod you toss on before or after lightening a rotating load on the engine side of a car (flywheel, connecting rods, crank pulleys) will give you A HUGE advantage in "effective" gains. The reflected load is a function of gear ratio SQUARED!!!!! (Info available in a good control systems engineering book)

That 8lbs on the engine looks like 8 x gearRatio^2 sitting at the wheels (presumes the same size pulley hanging on one of the output shafts/wheels/whatever on the "output" side of the transmission. So, figure out the gear ratio for 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th (3rd is used for most dynos on the CLS) and see what the "reflected" weight looks like on the...

For example if a ratio was 4:1 (gear and rear end) the "effective" load would be 8 * 4^2 = 8 * 16 = 128 lbs less weight on the output side (dyno side) of the transmission....

So, you get a much larger increase in "effective" hp.

Also, the effect of the pulleys gives you even MORE effective power in the lower gears (that the dyno will NOT show you).

Multiply the 1st gear x final drive and square that, and you’ll get the picture - - > even more power to the ground in first gear!

Lighter rotational inertia == easier to spin up...
Old 09-12-2002, 10:16 AM
Pro

This suspense is killing me. Nashua_Night_Hawk isn't speaking. I already have the Comptech headers. But if the OBX can really give me 35 more ponys, I'm willing to give up my Comptechs. Just need to see more dyno and track times...

axleback
Old 09-12-2002, 10:46 AM
still a Masshole

Who gives a sh!t if it's a little more hp or a little less than comptechs if the quality is the same! if I can get 90% of the hp from OBX that CTs produces for 35% of the price and have assurance that the things won't crack, leak or otherwise break then fvck it, I'm getting them.
Old 09-12-2002, 12:01 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Quoted from Nashua night hawk from CL.com

Okay guys... sorry no teasing were intended! I am really busy bein a new DAD. That is a lot of work.

First, I have the dyno graphs and I will post them today!...
Second, 2 dyno runs were made 1 before headers installation and After... Pulleys/ CAI and sparkplugs and 18" wheels are on with the baseline and the after dyno.

Mr. Wang refused to give me the raw data files

The gains are more than 20+ lbft of torque and more than 35 WHP..... the Mr. Wang was like

I quoted 35 WHP at 6500 rpm...

Acutally:

at <5000 rpms it's 20 lbft,
at 5500 rpms it's 25 lbft,
at 6000-7100 rpms it is 30 lbft and a MAX gain of 40 WHP...

Just wait 20 minutes and you will see the dyno graphs for yourself!
Old 09-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
OK.. a couple of big things here.....

1) His car is modded. He has a CAI, pulleys and plugs. That can make a difference vs. a stock car, regardless of what the difference from the baseline run was.

2) This headers are half the price... however, quality is still up in the air. If I were you guys I'd let the couple of people who purchase them have them installed through the winter into spring '03. At that point we'll see how they're holding up.

3) digitalgm (Adam) is doing a dyno as well. His car is stock... so we will see the true gains from his results once it's completed. I'd recommend waiting for this dyno before going too crazy....
Old 09-12-2002, 12:52 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Dyno graphs

link for DYNO GRAPHS
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=80233
Old 09-12-2002, 03:28 PM
Advanced

Is digitalgm ever going to dyno his stuff and post it?!
Old 09-12-2002, 03:42 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

The dyno shows a huge difference. I think it is a great buy if the quality holds up.
Old 09-12-2002, 05:21 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Yeah, I think that is everyones concern...i know its mine!
But at $375 group buy u could buy almost 3 for the price of the Comps
Old 09-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Racer

And buy from SSAutoChrome.com... They have great service and quick shipping.. talk to Bucky!

BTW, I do not earn any sales commision does anyone want to donatesome $$ for me
Old 09-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Advanced

Do these OBX headers come with some kind of guarantee?
Old 09-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by FugittiveTLS`03
Yeah, I think that is everyones concern...i know its mine!
But at $375 group buy u could buy almost 3 for the price of the Comps
where u find the $375 group buy thing?? it was $499 shipped.
Old 09-12-2002, 07:34 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Acura-cl.com has agroup by going on over there.......check it out!!
heres the link.....its actually at V6accord.com... just follow link

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=80068
Old 09-12-2002, 08:43 PM
All Hail the Chief

Man, my mouth is just salivating right now!

Come on DigitalGM....get that DYNO! You have alot of people waiting on your a$$ getting that dyno!
Old 09-12-2002, 09:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts

Yet another quote:

"Wow! Do you work for Comptech, or get royalties or something?!?! You sure defend their headers!

Not sure if you noticed, but the Comptech Y pipe is almost a direct copy of Acura's OEM piece (with a smoother 2-1 junction). And as for the actual "headers". There's pretty much only one way you can route 4 ports to 1 pipe with only 6" of pipe. Comptech just made some shorty headers that mount to an improved "Y-pipe".

So as you keep bashing OBX for "copying" Comptech, keep in mind their design isn't that original. Sure, they were the first to do it, and screw everyone with the $1200 price tag, but it's not that special. Kind of sad how you can buy really good headers for a 4-Cylinder for $300, but then that's supply/demand.

The ones from Prototype Racing on the otherhand are true original design. Equal length tubes that are long for better scavaging for more HP and better fuel economy. I'm drooling already while waiting for their dyno's!

And Greddy is coming out with a set as well....

But until then.... Where are the dyno's for the OBXs! Cruel bastard!"

axleback

This quote is pretty moronic. The OBX headers have much more in common with the Comptech headers than either have in common with the OEM headers.

The Comptechs dont exactly copy the OEM headers, or Y pipe, they took the original headers, did the R&D, dynos, etc, and improved the flow on them giving more gains. Im sure multiple samples were made and destroyed before the final one was selected. Thats copying????????????? Its not your quote, but you are posting it as your argument.

OBX didnt do all that, they just made a copy of the Comptechs with some cheaper materials and workmanship. They bypassed the R&D, and went straight to production. That was admitted. Application questions were being answered simply by saying that if the Comptechs fit the applictaion then the OBX's would. Thats pretty obvious isnt it??? Also answers the question why OBX doesnt have their own dynos.

What kind of logic is being used by saying that what Comptech and OBX did are the same thing????

Its exactly like brand and generic drugs. One company does all the R&D initially, and then they recoup their costs and collect profit until the patent runs out, then others reverse engineer it, and sell it cheaper. They can since reverse engineering a product is a LOT cheaper than making it from scratch, toss in using cheaper materials and a little less quality and you get a much cheaper final product.

I am not bashing the OBX's. I would have probably got a set myself if they had come out earlier, but enough of the bashing of Comptech and their owners.

Sorry, but to the bashers, you can make yourselves feel better all you want by saying I got ripped off. I paid more, yes I did, but at the same time, I also got the original product which is a very high quality piece. I paid extra for the R&D, CARB certification, the extra time I have had the product while others were waiting for OBX, and of course, the higher quality (sorry, OBX has been around for a little while now, and they are more synonymous with ricey, cheap accessories, and universal mufflers than with high quality parts like Comptech is.)

ALSO, to the CALI members. the Comptechs are CARB certfied which means they spent the $$$ to get that done. You are SOL with the OBX's as they didnt spend the $$$ to get their product cerified also, it was just one of the steps they used to get the headers to us as cheap as possible.

Like I said before, this header is an admitted cost cutting copy of the Comptech design with NO revisions of design. Using common sense, how can it give more gains than the original product it copied when it did NOT change the design or improve on the quality of construction or finish in any way? Anyone would be a fool to sell their Comptech's for these as was mentioned. Im sure an OBX owner would love to trade you.

As NSX posted, mods can be synergistic, even if counted in the baseline run, when headers are added, it allows the pullies themselves to add more power, but as of right now I dont think anyone even knows what mods he used in his baseline.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Racer

as long as it comes with lifetime limited warranty, why people worrying about the quality vs comptech. IMO, i don't think a smart businessman would offer such kind of warranty for his products that can't last long. PLUS, $375, it's so d*mn cheap. &, i believe that obx headers would at least produce 25whp gain. so, i would 99% in that group buy (1% just in case i don't have enough $$$) & save that $724 (comptech $1099 minus obx $375) for a set of coilover.
Old 09-12-2002, 10:08 PM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Originally posted by GO-typeS
as long as it comes with lifetime limited warranty, why people worrying about the quality vs comptech. IMO, i don't think a smart businessman would offer such kind of warranty for his products that can't last long. PLUS, $375, it's so d*mn cheap. &, i believe that obx headers would at least produce 25whp gain. so, i would 99% in that group buy (1% just in case i don't have enough $$$) & save that $724 (comptech $1099 minus obx $375) for a set of coilover.
I think you have the right IDEA!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2002, 11:56 PM
still a Masshole

Mr Hyde, I agree with most of your points except it seems that the bashing is going both ways. Some people with the CompTech headers seem a little defensive about their purchase (mostly on the CL board). Some guy went as far as saying something like, "B/c half you guys here are either really poor and can barely afford the CL that a 500 buck header is worth it to you."

Anyway, if I had the comptechs I would be happy but since I don't and there is an alternative I might have to look into it a little more.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Acura TL/TLS/CL/CLS has a pretty long warranty on the transmission... do I need to say more...

(And I'm not saying OBX will break - but how many complaints do you hear from people about the Comptech headers busting?)
Old 09-13-2002, 12:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ferizzo
Mr Hyde, I agree with most of your points except it seems that the bashing is going both ways. Some people with the CompTech headers seem a little defensive about their purchase (mostly on the CL board). Some guy went as far as saying something like, "B/c half you guys here are either really poor and can barely afford the CL that a 500 buck header is worth it to you."

Anyway, if I had the comptechs I would be happy but since I don't and there is an alternative I might have to look into it a little more.
AS for the comments from some CL members -- well, people say some stupid stuff at times...

What's wrong with more choices?

Being in CA and dreaming about never having to replace a header (after years of welding and hassles with my Bimmer headers), I chose the Comptech's based on the reputation and a vow only purchase a header that was SS and built better than stock.

Give OBX some time -- perhaps there stuff lasts just as long and they will even CARB the headers.

And for the bashing -- yeah, pretty brutal on both ends...
Old 09-13-2002, 12:41 AM
still a Masshole

EricL, I agree. Only time will tell. I will say that at least we know comptech quality is great and I don't believe anyone is arguing that! Some people just can't get along.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:41 AM
Racer

Originally posted by EricL

The Acura TL/TLS/CL/CLS has a pretty long warranty on the transmission... do I need to say more...

(And I'm not saying OBX will break - but how many complaints do you hear from people about the Comptech headers busting?)
lifetime vs 50000miles & $375 vs $30K+. IMO, it's not a good comparison. even though it is, don't u think that honda/acura would sell much more if they issue a lifetime warranty on the tranny. simple answer: YES.
Old 09-13-2002, 02:04 AM
Suzuka Master

lifetime vs 50000miles & $375 vs $30K+. IMO, it's not a good comparison. even though it is, don't u think that honda/acura would sell much more if they issue a lifetime warranty on the tranny. simple answer: YES.
AT this point if the warranty said, "for the life of the owner and mods up to a given HP were allowed...." The garbage about non-tranny related mods is pathetic.

I would rather have a tranny that never needed fixing -- but that's just me. All of the recent appliances and electronics I've bought (minus a rare 3) have needed a Eric self-fix (due to the hassle of factory service). Boy, they make it such a hassle. Analogy: pack up item, send it to North Poll, we'll get it back to you in 2-months -- Thanks for being a good sucker...
Old 09-13-2002, 10:33 AM
All Hail the Chief

Hey all,

What can happen to headers over the long run? If they break, what can happen to you car...anything serious?

I know they look like crap after a while...and ********* was hyping some protectant for them...will this help?
Old 09-13-2002, 11:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Life is full of choices. I made mine (CT), others make thier own. Buy what you want and move on. These threads seem to take on a life of their own. Let's concentrate on other issues; making TL even better w/ RES, other mods, quality control, etc.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm gonna stick with the comptechs. But if the OBX headers can hold up I jussst might have to change my mind.
Old 09-13-2002, 11:32 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: NSXNEXT....

axleback

Incorrect, the pullies were not in the baseline dyno!
Old 09-13-2002, 01:07 PM
still a Masshole

Re: Re: Re: Re: NSXNEXT....

Originally posted by zapata

Incorrect, the pullies were not in the baseline dyno!
Uh, yeah they were. He did his baseline at like 10 in the morning, had the headers installed and then ran another dyno:

On the "before" run:

- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor, Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Konig Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
- 10/11/01: Comptech Anti-Sway Bars
- 03/01/02: NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, ZFR6FIX-11, P.N. 6441
- 05/30/02: Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS Pulley Kit, Polished (Installed on 08/15/02)

Now I am not saying that the headers are responsible for the 30-40hp gain alone but just pointing out the fact that the car did have the pullies for the baseline.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:18 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: NSXNEXT....

ah ye, i should've been more clear. I am saying that the 35whp increase isn't from the OBX headers alone.

Originally posted by ferizzo

Uh, yeah they were. He did his baseline at like 10 in the morning, had the headers installed and then ran another dyno:

On the "before" run:

- 3M clear bra, by Stonguard (full front bumper, and side mirrors, and partial hood)
- Acura Spoiler, Moonroof visor, Splash guards, Winter mats, Trunk liner
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
- 04/13/01: 235/40/18 NITTO 555 on 18x7.5, +45 offset, Konig Imagine in Silver with wheels locks
- 10/11/01: Comptech Anti-Sway Bars
- 03/01/02: NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, ZFR6FIX-11, P.N. 6441
- 05/30/02: Unorthodox Racing Ultra SS Pulley Kit, Polished (Installed on 08/15/02)

Now I am not saying that the headers are responsible for the 30-40hp gain alone but just pointing out the fact that the car did have the pullies for the baseline.

Quick Reply: OBX Outperforms Comptech HEADERS