OBX Headers? Resonance? or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBX Headers? Resonance? or something else?

Alright, well, i've had my OBX headers installed for almost a year now, and everything's been great, but about a month ago, i noticed a grinding sound as i accelerated from a stop. It would happen when i start to accelerate but wouldn't happen once the RPM's are up or even at highway speeds. It's like a slight grinding sound.
I took my car into the dealership for an oil change, and they said it was because of my aftermarket header. But they blame my aftermarket parts for everything, so i don't listen to them too much anymore.
But i just wanted to know if what i'm experience is resonance? or is it something else? Is it suppose to sound like grinding/rattling sound?

Thanks
-Rob
Old 09-08-2003, 04:20 PM
Instructor

I have the obx headers and and as time went on it developed a resonance which was more like a banging on metal sound....maybe the same thing. What I found was that it was the headers vibrating against the downpipe b/c the bolts were loose. I had the three front ones and three read ones tightend and it was fine after that. But in the rear the bolts didnt have enough thread on them to tighten any more and I had to replace the bolts. So have your bolts checked and tightend
Old 09-08-2003, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by ChinozTL
I have the obx headers and and as time went on it developed a resonance which was more like a banging on metal sound....maybe the same thing. What I found was that it was the headers vibrating against the downpipe b/c the bolts were loose. I had the three front ones and three read ones tightend and it was fine after that. But in the rear the bolts didnt have enough thread on them to tighten any more and I had to replace the bolts. So have your bolts checked and tightend
I had my headers installed by a shop. But is there an easy way to tighten the bolts myself? because it's pretty much the same sound. Like a rattling or banging metal....
Just let me know what i can do! Thanks!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
jack the car up and place it on jack stands, then put a wrench on all bolts and see if there loose. its an easy thing to check.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:18 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Make sure that its the not the heat shield from the cat converter. I know three guys that had a rattling/banging cat converter heat shield when they got the obx's installed. heck that and tighten the bolts on the headers.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by bigman
Make sure that its the not the heat shield from the cat converter. I know three guys that had a rattling/banging cat converter heat shield when they got the obx's installed. heck that and tighten the bolts on the headers.
Well, i don't know anything about cars, do i don't know what a cat converter heat shield looks like. What would i be looking for?
Old 09-08-2003, 09:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
welcome to the piece of crap world of obx racing
Old 09-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Racer

i got comptech and i got a minor clicking noise when i go from 0-40 then it pretty much goes away. Isnt there some kind of torque setting needed for the header bolts ? or do i just tigthen them all the way
Old 09-09-2003, 03:59 PM
RES
Intermediate

I have the same complaint. When I am driving with the windows open, I can hear a ticking noise upon excelleration. My car sounds like a POS old Cadilac or something. I had my transmission changed recently. Do they need to remove the downpipe to swap trany's?

Any advice would be welcome. First the resonance, now this!!!
Old 09-09-2003, 04:34 PM
mushroom mushroom

I would have to say it's the headerbolts, or anyother exhaust connection. I installed my OBX's my self let them heat up and get worked in for about two weeks and then I retightened the header bolts. Before I tightened them, I noticed that the resonance was getting worse and worse durring those two weeks. Then when I tightened them, I have little to no resonance since.

BTW: PeterUbers you are a $hit starter.
Shame on you.
Old 09-09-2003, 05:28 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by bug230
I would have to say it's the headerbolts, or anyother exhaust connection. I installed my OBX's my self let them heat up and get worked in for about two weeks and then I retightened the header bolts. Before I tightened them, I noticed that the resonance was getting worse and worse durring those two weeks. Then when I tightened them, I have little to no resonance since.

BTW: PeterUbers you are a $hit starter.
Shame on you.
Where do you put jackstands and the jack when you're trying to jack up the car and all that? I just figured, if i jack up the front of my car, because of how low my car is, the rear bumper is gonna hit the ground. So how should i go about getting under the car, lol? thanks!
Old 09-09-2003, 06:50 PM
mushroom mushroom

I actually installed the OBX's when I had the stock springs and no body kit on. So I just used ramp stands to jack the car up. What kind of drop do you have? I wouldn't think you would have any problems with the rear end hitting the ground when you jack the front up. But if you do, just jack the front up slowly until the rear end is near contact. You don't need a massive amount of space to work under there but I guess the more the better. To figure where to place the jack stands under neith the car, look in your manual.

I hope this helps.