Not very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2001, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Not very pleased

I bought my TL-S w/NAV on Friday and after driving it I am not very pleased with the workmanship. I hear rattles that I don't know where it's coming from. The doors sounds like it moves when driving over a bump. I found flaws on the black strips that surrounds the windows. My '98 TL never had these problems. Other that those problems I have just mention, which bothers the hell out of me, the car is nice.

------------------
'02 Satin Silver TL-S w/ NAV
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-27-2001, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

This problem happened with the CL-S when it was launched as well. I'm sure you'll see service bulletins soon.....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 03-27-2001, 04:03 PM
Instructor

yeah y cl-s rattles to

------------------
2001 cl type s
voltage blue, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims,(painted voltage blue and achrome polished lip) custom iceman intake, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation 2, slammed on nex suspension, cross drilled rotors, nos fuel pressure regulator, greddy evo exhaust, (on the way level ten torqe converter and b&m tranny cooler) april 16 taking car to dealer getting 3.5 liter upgrade(mdx crankshaft, mdx rods, shaved heads, port and polish intake manifold. piston work,
Old 03-27-2001, 07:04 PM
Instructor

The kind of flaws in workmanship mentioned here should not occur on the TLS just because it is a new model. The window trim and doors are the same as previous years. There is no reason for them to have bugs. Hope mine is not like that because my '99 TL had none of those problems. It is (was) tight all over.
Old 03-27-2001, 07:08 PM

SatinSilverTLS,
Did you bring it back to the dealer to see if there was something wrong?

I hope mine is "tight all over" too!

I would hate to drive back to Wisconsin!!! Can you take these issues to your local dealer even though you didn't buy from them?
Old 03-27-2001, 08:01 PM
Instructor

I took it to the dealer they said they have to send it to the body shop to get it fixed and it might take a day or two. Meanwhile I get to drive a loaner integra yay

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-27-2001, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

Thumbs up

I plan on driving and looking very careful at mine before I sign on the dotted line. Thanks for the heads-up !! Hope it works out.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the same problems --

Even though the suspension is tight, you shouldn't hear those leathery creaks over bumps. My friend's Buick Regal GSE doesn't even do that. Plus, I know what you're saying about the workmanship -- piss poor compared to a lexus. I figured, this is my first Acura (maybe my last) -- i just hope it's a reliable machine like everyone seems to think, that'll make everything "OK" for me. I am bringing my car back to the dealer this Thursday -- the RIGHT muffler output is lower than the left!!! Of all the things .. .jeesus .. lexus is solid as a rock -- why can't Acura charge $1000 more dollars and put out a solid machine????

I notice paint imperfections closer to the seams. The panels don't line up exactly right -- hell, I bought a '94 Lexus ES300 used in '97 and it was PERFECT!! with 35K miles on it!!

Other than that -- the car runs like a charm (knock on wood). I logged over 585 miles on it so far --

I'll keep y'all posted -- can we keep this thread running for those of us who own and drive a TL-S now (and for those that are inquisitive of course too!) .. this will allow us to talk to one another about our cars and possible solutions!?

Thanks

Pete

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-27-2001, 09:37 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Smile

I must have lucked out, as mine has none of those problems. I do notice a little windnoise at 80!

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------

02 TL-S NAV w/Spoiler, Body Kit and Bowling Ball Wheel!

Old 03-27-2001, 10:04 PM
Advanced

The creaking problems are nothing new... they're common on the new CL/TLs. The Ohio plant doesn't seem to be doing a good job in the department of turning out solid Acuras. On the other hand, I've had 0 mechanical failures, and haven't heard about too many actual equipment failures on these cars....so pick your poison.

I'm really thinking of going the Mercedes route next time, although a TL-S is probably in my future as well.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:05 PM
Advanced

The creaking problems are nothing new... they're common on the new CL/TLs. The Ohio plant doesn't seem to be doing a good job in the department of turning out solid Acuras. On the other hand, I've had 0 mechanical failures, and haven't heard about too many actual equipment failures on these cars....so pick your poison.

I'm really thinking of going the Mercedes route next time, although a TL-S is probably in my future as well.
Old 03-27-2001, 10:07 PM
Race Director

i purchased my CL-S the second week it was released, no rattles, no squeks

Old 03-27-2001, 10:14 PM

My WDP TL-S is "tight all over", no squeaks or rattles.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:40 AM

Thumbs up

Sorry to hear about the various problems some of you are having with your new TL-Ss, but I couldn't be happier with mine. A week old and NONE of the problems others are reporting in this and other threads. Each time I read about a new problem someone discovers I rush out to check the car - still perfect!
Old 03-28-2001, 08:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

When the CL-S was released, I would say about 80-85% of the guys on the CL board were complaining of rattles, squeeks, etc. Most of the guys brought it to the dealer and were able to get it fixed. Some had to make multiple trips, and some just fixed it on their own. The CL-S' with the later build dates seemed to have a lot less problems. Seems like the same thing is happening here. First production run is "loose", then it tightens up from there.....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com
Old 03-28-2001, 01:11 PM

Minor problems—the DVD unit rattles incessantly over the slightest bump. One exhaust pipe shakes much more visibly than the other. With 36 miles on the car, I reefed on the center console and broke the cheap plastic latch (my fault). When sitting in the rear trying to locate the rattle, I discovered that the interior door handle just plain doesn’t work. I’m taking it into the dealer tomorrow to get these items fixed, the rest of the dealer options installed and the entire rear de-badged. But LOVE the car!
Old 03-28-2001, 01:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I must admit though --

Like TLSDave -- the car is remarkable. As someone posted "pick your poison" -- you're right, I'd rather have a car that rattled every once in a while, performed great, and was mechanically sound over a car that was tight all over and had a few mech. probs.

Amen -- the TL-S is spectacular.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
White Diamond Pearl
Parchment
Old 03-28-2001, 01:33 PM
Instructor

I love the car, but the rattling just annoys me. It is a great value, so i guess u can kinda say you get what u paid for. Don't get me wrong I do love the car.

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-28-2001, 01:53 PM

that door handle not working maybe the
child safty lock on the door jam. read about it in the owners manual.
Old 03-28-2001, 03:39 PM

I thought of that too but the passenger rear door opens just fine.
Old 03-28-2001, 04:19 PM
Racer

The only thing that rattle on my 2002 TL-S is the sunglasses. If I don't put my shade in correctly, it will rattle.

At first, I blamed my wife, since it was coming from the right side.
She told me it was coming from the left side.
So, we decided that it was the moonroof.
We couldn't hear anything when we stuck our ears to the moonroof.......
Anyway, we finally found the answer....the shades!

The only complain I have is that the doors are hard to close......but again, I like the solid thumping when the door does close.
Old 03-28-2001, 06:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tlsdave:
Minor problems—the DVD unit rattles incessantly over the slightest bump. One exhaust pipe shakes much more visibly than the other. With 36 miles on the car, I reefed on the center console and broke the cheap plastic latch (my fault). When sitting in the rear trying to locate the rattle, I discovered that the interior door handle just plain doesn’t work. I’m taking it into the dealer tomorrow to get these items fixed, the rest of the dealer options installed and the entire rear de-badged. But LOVE the car!
Yes tlsdave I was going to say also that the child proof door lock was on also. Did you check the switch on that door.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-28-2001, 07:16 PM

Red face

I'm very embarrassed. It was the child door lock.
Old 03-28-2001, 07:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by tlsdave:
I'm very embarrassed. It was the child door lock.
I thought so don't feel bad. When I had my 90 Accord I would have it on for my Nephew & he would turn it off.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-28-2001, 09:04 PM
The "old" guy

Thumbs up

....So...you guys didnt know? They only build the black ones tight and rattle free! LOL...right Oblio....

------------------
72 Olds 442 Convertible (dual ram air) Play ride
99 Chevy Explorer high top conversion (vacation ride)
94 Ranger Splash 4x4 ext cab. (work/haul ride)
80 Honda CB750F (Shoei/Kerker) wheelie ride
02 TL-S Black/Ebony Underbody/spoiler/wood MY RIDE
00 John Deere 4 wheel steer (yard ride...hehe)
Old 03-28-2001, 09:08 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
Wink

Originally posted by Indyjenks:
....So...you guys didnt know? They only build the black ones tight and rattle free! LOL...right Oblio....

That, my friend, is a FACT

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------

02 TL-S NAV w/Spoiler, Body Kit and Bowling Ball Wheel!

Old 03-28-2001, 09:43 PM

My Aegean Blue TL-S picked up last Friday is tight and quiet so far - and I live in SE Michigan, a torture ground for cars if there ever was one!
Old 03-29-2001, 12:04 AM

My 2002 TL has one annoying rattle, the driver's side sun visor mirror cover rattles when it is down. I fixed it myself by sticking one of those round surface protectors between the mirror cover and mirror.
Old 03-29-2001, 12:06 AM
Instructor

The rattles i hear seems to be from the doors and the moon roof.

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-29-2001, 01:08 AM
Racer

Originally posted by SatinSilverTLS:
The rattles i hear seems to be from the doors and the moon roof.

No problem here

But I did bring back my car cause i scratch it but they said they'll fix it for free. Thought they'll give me touch up paint but instead I get a new paintjob
Old 03-29-2001, 01:36 AM
Instructor

I thought the car seemed very well built and tight. My Integra left someting to be desired...like a civic really. I thought Lexus seemed better after trying out my Dad's GS300, but that had more rattles in the beginning than my TL-S. Hope it stays that way
Old 03-29-2001, 01:54 PM
Instructor

Interesting, the dealer needs to take my car to the body shop to fix the flaws around the window. They say they need to repaint it.

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-29-2001, 01:57 PM
Pro

StainSilver, where did you buy yours from?

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 03-29-2001, 03:25 PM
Instructor

I got mine at Sierra Acura. The salesperson was really nice and helpful. If you going there ask for Robert Huang. Check ur car thoroughly.

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-29-2001, 04:35 PM
Pro

Stainsilver, this dealership is the one I am trying to avoid. Don't get me wrong. Maybe the sales changed. Back in 92, I was going to buy an Integra. This dealer just give me all the bull about how hot this car is and not willing to come down on price. So, I ended up buying from Acura of Pasadena. Actually, I bought 2 from the Pasadena dealership. So, this time when I was in the market to buy the Type S TL. I didn't even bother to call them. I guess things changed and maybe I should give them a try next time. Well, bad experience do follow a long time.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 03-29-2001, 06:11 PM
Instructor

I returned to the dealership because when I bought my 98 3.2TL, I got a steal 31,000 out the door. The MSRP was like 33,000. So i thought they would give me a deal since I am a returning customer. They did give me a pretty good deal on the trade-in. The thing I am able to complain now is the service staff.

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-29-2001, 06:31 PM
Pro

Same things happened in the Edmund's Town Hall. People are complaining about the Sierra service department, too. You might want to try the Acura of Pasadena service department. The staffs are very good and helpful.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Parchment Leather
Old 03-29-2001, 09:34 PM
Instructor

Can you give me the link to the Edmunds site that talks about Sierra. Maybe if I show them what other people are saying they will change things. I think I will go to Acura of Pasadena and see the difference. Thanks.

------------------
Rear Wing Spoiler
PIAA Super Plasma Fog
Titanium Tint
Old 03-29-2001, 09:43 PM

deal w/ it dude!!!!! atleast you got a phat ride,
Old 03-29-2001, 11:59 PM
Advanced

Well, my 98 GS400 with 63K miles is rattle free (now that the sunroof was fixed, which is notorious on '98 GS's). I'm sure the TL will not be as rattle free as the GS, but you are looking at a car that costs $20,000 less, that is a lot of cash!

Quick Reply: Not very pleased