No more waxing & cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002, 01:13 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation No more waxing & cleaning

Attention all california & arizone car owners.

Southwest dealer services inc, provides a clear teflon coat that goes over your paint.......it effectively seals your paint eliminating the need of waxing....... & it protects your car from fading, oxidation, UV rays etc.. in the inside it protects against food or drink stains ( 99 % )........ best of all your car will look waxed for 5 years guaranteed.

I just got an antricite CLS SIXSICK SPEED, & i rec. it for all cars, especially dark colored ones...........

http://www.swdealerservices.com/

it costs around $700

if anyone has got it done, give us some feedback. my dealer told me about it & in about a week i am going to get it myself.

Sounds really effective guaranteed.....................

time will only tell?????????
Old 11-18-2002, 02:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't recommend getting any 'teflon coating'. Use a little elbow grease & wax your car by hand. Nothing beats that. I prefer Zaino as well as a lot of other members on this board. Visit www.zainobros.com
Save the $700 for mods or car payments.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:18 AM
Racer

You can do it yourself for less than $100.00

http://www.5starshine.com/

Same stuff.

My friend works in an Infinti dealership and this is what they used on the showroom models. I had it on my 1995 Infiniti for 7 years and the paint job still looks factory new. The only drawback is that it works better on light colored cars.
Once you seal the car, the swirls marks on a dark color is permanent.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wait until the real detail buffs see this one!!

This service is not very well received as a solution. cl-driver's response is pretty much what the majority of the responses on here will say....
Old 11-18-2002, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

sounds like its for lazy people who can't/won't do it themselves. There is no way you can beat a hand waxed finish, period.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Bwahaaahaaa.....teflon coating. It's pretty funny how everyone claims they use teflon in their paint protection.

In short the Teflon resin MUST be applied at 640 degree to "sinter" or bond to the surface. So unless your car is literally on fire when it's applied it will do nothing. Can the telfon resin be wiped onto an automotive finish? Yes. Will it play any role in protecting that finish? No. It's just more marketing mumbo jumbo designed to fool unsuspecting people into spending their money.

Here's the scientific answer:

I see products advertised with Teflon®. Does this help?
No. Although Teflon® is an exceptional product when used as intended, it provides no benefit in a wax or polish. According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont's Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint's finish." This is hot enough that your car's paint (let alone your car) wouldn't survive.

Teflon® is a registered trademark of Dupont.

(Source: Grisanti, Stephen, "The Truth Abouth Teflon®", Professional Carwashing & Detailing, January, 1989.)
Old 11-18-2002, 10:07 AM
Racer

Before I get "flamed" again, you guys realy need to check out the site. It is not really Teflon but PTFE

I was real skeptical at first also, but after reading govt reports (GSA) on how well it performed, decided to give it a go.
When I sold my car 3 weeks ago, the new owner took a look and said "when did you repaint the car ?"

When I told him it was factory original, and he looked at me like I was Goofy.
Considering that he does auto detailing part-time, I took it as a compliment that he thought the paint job was still that great (and my car has been baking in the FL sun for 7 years, but the color was Arctic White Pearl Metallic...NOT black so I cannot claim it works for all colors.)

In that time, I have never had to use soap or wax my car.
Road tar and bugs wiped right off with a damp cloth.
(And no, I do not work for 5starshine)
Old 11-18-2002, 10:52 AM
Pro

Originally posted by AndySara
Before I get "flamed" again, you guys realy need to check out the site. It is not really Teflon but PTFE

I was real skeptical at first also, but after reading govt reports (GSA) on how well it performed, decided to give it a go.
When I sold my car 3 weeks ago, the new owner took a look and said "when did you repaint the car ?"

When I told him it was factory original, and he looked at me like I was Goofy.
Considering that he does auto detailing part-time, I took it as a compliment that he thought the paint job was still that great (and my car has been baking in the FL sun for 7 years, but the color was Arctic White Pearl Metallic...NOT black so I cannot claim it works for all colors.)

In that time, I have never had to use soap or wax my car.
Road tar and bugs wiped right off with a damp cloth.
(And no, I do not work for 5starshine)
No flaming, but I'm just a little skeptical on the results and the use of PTFE in this kind of application. I work in an industry where I deal with plastics on a daily basis and PTFE is one of the resins I dealt with in the past. I agree that this material is very slippery (works great on plastics that required surface to surface frictional contact), but similar to the teflon material, PTFE needs to be engrained into the material at very high temperature. The website you refer to talked about PTFE bonding to the surface through way of ionic charges. I don't know if I'd buy that. If that's the case, what if I go in and wipe the car with a negatively charged substance? Would that result in the PTFE repelling the car surface?
But I'm sure you have your point of view and since you did use the product with great result, there might be some truth to it. I just wouldn't use it on my car. Good old Zaino baby!

axleback
Old 11-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
PTFE is the same sh!t they put in Duralube or Slick50......

and we all know what happened to them.

Zonyl is another fluoroadditive similar to Teflon. It has a few differences including a lower molecular weight, and small partical size, so it can be suspended (or blended) into a formula much easier. You can also bet it is more expensive.

I found this online.................
----------------------------------------------------
Tests have shown that the chemical and abrasion resistant protective properties of wax formulations can be improved by the addition of Zonyl® fluoroadditives. In addition to enhancing anti-stick and low-friction behavior of coatings, Zonyl® fluoroadditives may be able to satisfy a variety of other needs, such as better water repellency, compatibility with solvent or melt coating processes, and FDA and EEC regulations
-----------------------------------------------------

While zonyl might aid a formulation in properties such as anti-static, slickness, and water repellency, it still is not bonded in any way to the cars surface, so will have a minimum impact on increased durability. It might help the formulation in some ways, but only as long as the product stays on the car. Remember, a product is only as good as its weakest link. Oh, and about those paint sealants.....NO PRODUCT can last one year never mind 5!!
Old 11-18-2002, 12:01 PM
Racer

I'll have to backup NSXNEXT on this one, I did some research on this crap about 12 years ago when it was the big thing in the car world. Basically teflon was crap then and it's crap now, don't waste your money.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro

Basically, to sum things up in a nutshell. Other that the clearcoat we have on our paint surface, nothing will really "bond" onto the car surface for a prolong period of time. It's all marketing.

axleback
Old 11-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Racer

I agree with CL-Driver. There is nothing like Zaino. I was VERY skeptical at first, but once I tried it, I was hooked. I have a '98 WDP 3.2 TL and it still looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
Old 11-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Mr. Self Destruct

HAHA, my fiance used to work for SW Dealer Services.

Don't be fooled by the claims they make. She was the AP/Claims person and many of their clients claims are DENIED. Read over the material very very carefully. There are tons of things not covered, like WATER stains and or spots, INK, or BLOOD. (Not that many people bleed on or in their cars, but it happens.)

If anything happens to your ride, they'll basically call out a detailer to attempt to clean your car. If he can't do it, then you are S.O.L. with nothing to back you up.

Say buh bye to your $700.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

and I've got some great deals on ocean front property in Idaho...

Zaino man....

Good to see your still around NSXNext, I'm awaiting your input on the other Zaino post.....
Old 11-20-2002, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Found the same teflon stuff at MV Acura for 250.00
Old 11-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Comptech Freak

i don't htink this is the real thing...

i guess it's those paint shield that i did from diamond kote...
Old 11-21-2002, 02:58 AM
Instructor

As Perot once said, "where do I sign up for it?" The teflon coating deal sounds pretty cool...Do they have a package where I can get that with undercoating, and spray on rustproofing?
A bottle of Z-max or Duralube would seal the deal baby!