No flames please - Just a question

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 07:37 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No flames please - Just a question

I was reading through the threads and it seems like many of you agree that CL-S handles better than TL-S. Why is this? I've never driven the CL or CL-S... or even Accord Coupe... so I'm just looking for some answers. When I chose TL-S over CL-S, I thought they were both exactly same cars in terms of performance (handling, acceleration etc.)... just TL with 4 doors and different lighting clusters. This should be true since both share same chassis, engine, suspension set-up... what am I missing?
Old 04-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Having Fun?

The CLs has wider tires for one
Old 04-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by copland007
The CLs has wider tires for one
Actually, the tires are the same size..

It's the wheels that are wider on the CL.. 7" vs the TL=6.5"

but the TL-S ownz the CL-S in the looks department
Old 04-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Pro

Re: No flames please - Just a question

Originally posted by SpoonPower78
I was reading through the threads and it seems like many of you agree that CL-S handles better than TL-S. Why is this? I've never driven the CL or CL-S... or even Accord Coupe... so I'm just looking for some answers. When I chose TL-S over CL-S, I thought they were both exactly same cars in terms of performance (handling, acceleration etc.)... just TL with 4 doors and different lighting clusters. This should be true since both share same chassis, engine, suspension set-up... what am I missing?
There is a larger disparity in handling between the two cars now since the 6-speed CL-s comes with a helical limited slip differential. It should make a huge difference.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:40 PM
O.G.

Generally, a two door coupe is suppose to handle better than a four door sedan.
Old 04-11-2002, 11:45 PM
Retired MOD

Re: No flames please - Just a question

This should be true since both share same chassis, engine, suspension set-up... what am I missing?
I believe Damping rate and spring rate are different at least for the 01-02 models. Also the CL you have the option of 6-speed manual transmission.

This is from acura website:

The CL Type S suspension was stiffened to be more responsive and to give the driver a more immediate sense of the road surface. In front and rear, the Type S uses stiffer springs, higher damper compression and rebound damping. In a CL Type S with 6-speed manual transmission, the weight savings allow for shorter front springs, which help to lower the front profile slightly. A larger-diameter rear stabilizer bar helps reduce body roll during cornering, and longer bumper stops give the CL Type S a sportier feel.

The TL Type S suspension was stiffened to be more responsive and to give the driver a more immediate sense of the road surface. In front and rear, the Type S uses stiffer springs along with higher compression and rebound damping. A larger-diameter rear stabilizer bar helps reduce body roll during cornering, and longer bumper stops give the TL Type S a sportier feel.

They only say this for the CL type S.
RIGID CHASSIS >
The CL Type S suspension is markedly stiffer than its counterpart, the 3.2CL, sharpening responsiveness and heightening the immediacy of road feel. Stiffer front and rear springs, increased damper compression, and enhanced rebound damping further contribute to the visceral sporting experience of the Type S. A larger-diameter rear stabilizer bar helps reduce body roll during cornering, and elongated bumper stops lend the handling a motorsport feel. This complement of handling components results in a 3.2CL Type S that faithfully executes the driver's will without breaking a sweat.

Enven if the website description is the same. I'm not sure about the 03 models. I know the ride of the 01 CL type S was a little bumpy and stiffer. The 03 models seem the same.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Buy the TL because it looks better, replace the sways, add an upper strut, and get better tires and/ or wheels and you will out handle the CL (stock of course).
Old 04-12-2002, 10:45 AM
Pro

Alot of good points. Especially the good looking part. Joking aside, one of the reason why the CL-S generally handles better than the TL-S is because it's a coupe. What comes with a coupe? Two doors. Since the TL-S has 4 doors, that translates to more body twisting during cornering. There are two more "holes" in the frame. Correct me if I'm wrong.

axleback
Old 04-12-2002, 12:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Maybe it's just me. But, I think they handle the exact same.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Closer
Maybe it's just me. But, I think they handle the exact same.
Are you just saying this or have you driven both?
Old 04-12-2002, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Cool I would have to side with the TL in this one.

I test drove one of the first CL-S when they came out and the dealer let me get on it (he wasn't with me on the test drive) . To me, the CL-S seemed a little light in the can, if you catch my meaning.

Perhaps because I prefer the feel of a larger car, but the CL-S immediately put me off, plus the interior was smaller. IMHO, I just like the "feel" of the TL better. Yes, you will have a little less tire squeal and drift with the smaller car, but if you drive effectively, that won't be a concern in everyday driving.

Just an opinion: I am not trying to start a war!
Old 04-12-2002, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Are you just saying this or have you driven both?
Ofcourse... why else would I say it?
I drove the CLS first, which is why I wanted to trade my Accord V-6
in. But, found out that the TLS was coming out. Drove one and
was just as impressed by it as my friends CLS. Maybe if I spent
more time in both cars I could tell the difference, but it wasn't
noticible during the time I spent in the car. The CLS has much
better seats though... maybe that helps bring that feeling?
Old 04-12-2002, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear

The CLS has a shorter wheelbase: 108.1 for the CLS, 106.9 for the TLS. The distance between the rear wheels is slightly larger on the CLS, 61.0, compared to 6o.4 on the TLS. However, these minute differences are unlikely to impact handling in a discernible manner.
Old 04-13-2002, 11:45 AM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by Lola
The CLS has a shorter wheelbase: 108.1 for the CLS, 106.9 for the TLS. The distance between the rear wheels is slightly larger on the CLS, 61.0, compared to 6o.4 on the TLS. However, these minute differences are unlikely to impact handling in a discernible manner.
heh... these are the differences that do make the most diff imo, that and the coupe is stiffer due to its construction... btw, i think u got the first numbers mixed up.
Old 04-13-2002, 12:58 PM

Honestly, in everyday driving there is no difference. Pushed to the limits, I could tell no difference either. Cars are just too identical.

And that is one of the problems I have with the CL. If it is a 2 door, it should be more sexy looking and sportier and well, it is not. Might as well get the 4 door to me.
Old 04-13-2002, 02:17 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Honestly, in everyday driving there is no difference. Pushed to the limits, I could tell no difference either. Cars are just too identical.

And that is one of the problems I have with the CL. If it is a 2 door, it should be more sexy looking and sportier and well, it is not. Might as well get the 4 door to me.
i think the seats in the CL-S are far superior to those in the TL-S... i actually looked into changing the seats to the CLS ones, but i was quoted some ridiculous price of like 10k
Old 04-13-2002, 02:55 PM
...and then there was One

Originally posted by ZodiakTL

i think the seats in the CL-S are far superior to those in the TL-S... i actually looked into changing the seats to the CLS ones, but i was quoted some ridiculous price of like 10k
10K?? Ten thousand pennies, I hope. If they said $10K, that is a third the cost of the car... so, that guy that "said" he got his TL stolen, and they tore up his seats, his car was already 33% gone. Wouldn't take much more to declare it totalled.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:24 PM
Racer

This is absurd...The TLS is exactly the same car as the CLS, yeah maybe the CLS is slightly stiffer, but none of us are Mario Andretti, so the difference wouldn't be noticeable to us. And the TLS is a MUCH better looking car, sorry thats just the hard truth, so buying a two door that isn't any better of a performer than its better looking 4 door brother was not the way to go for me. You guys can argue the numbers back and forth, but any differences that your arguing about will only be because these cars are mass produced and there will be SLIGHT differences between cars, thats the way it goes for any car that is produced in such high numbers.
Old 04-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Acura TL-S

Originally posted by SimTypeS

10K?? Ten thousand pennies, I hope. If they said $10K, that is a third the cost of the car... so, that guy that "said" he got his TL stolen, and they tore up his seats, his car was already 33% gone. Wouldn't take much more to declare it totalled.
ye, thats what i said... i think this was their way of telling me to **** off... and it was a her actually .. but regardless... i would have expected better from acura... but i guess a lot of people have expectations that are too high.. still love the car though... just put on the mugen air spoiler today, will post pics as soon as my friend is back from vacation and returns my digi-cam.

and FLAcuraTLS, i guess its probably true... but people always compare things... so why not these... talk is talk after all, i'm sure if it came down to auto-crossing with these cars, the driver with experience would win in either of the cars.. they are both good... but i too preferred the comfort and looks of the sedan, in fact i at first chose the TL over the CL-S in 2001. then half a year later when the TL-S came out, i got that. something about the CL that just doesnt look right... i think they'll get it in a couple of remodels... just look how far they came from the horror of the prev. gen CL