Newbie question: how to use SportShift?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 07:28 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie question: how to use SportShift?

I begin to try the SportShift on my 2003 TL. I have never driven any manual shift car before. After read the manual, I know in what speed I should upshift. But when to downshift?

Here is the simple question: suppose I drive in local and have upshift to 4th gear. Then I see red light. So I need to stop. At this time, what should I do? Just pushing the brake without touching SS or while braking I need to downshift the Sportshift to the first gear?

In what condition I need to use downshift?

I know this is a stupid question.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:35 PM
yeah i'm bored.

no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

technically, you don't have to downshift. the car will automatically downshift to first when you come to a stop. you can, however, downshift manually as you are slowing. this will provide you with extra engine braking,and will help you brake quicker.

next time you're at about 50 on the highway, kick it down to 2nd, and enjoy the ride! just watch out for the rev limited, it comes on pretty quick
Old 09-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by agean

next time you're at about 50 on the highway, kick it down to 2nd, and enjoy the ride! just watch out for the rev limited, it comes on pretty quick
Thanks for the answer. What will I feel if I do so? Will the car slow down immidiately? is it safe?
Old 09-27-2002, 09:18 PM
10th Gear

your v tec kicks in at higher rpm shift close to your red line
Old 09-28-2002, 04:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

well since it isnt a true manual shifter you wont have to worry about downshiftin and going past the redline. It limits you so you dont do something stupid to the car. As for shifting points, if youre cruising along and you want to punch the throttle , throw it into the SS mode and keep your RPMS high. As you get closer to the redline, shift up again. Downshifting you might as well just brake and let the onboard computer deal with the shifting. If you want to manually do it, itll put more strain on your engine and not really that much more advantagous since its not a true manual car IMO
Old 09-29-2002, 05:14 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Actually hard downshifts are more worse on your T/C rather than the engine.
Old 09-29-2002, 07:18 PM
Advanced

when you slow down...u can keep it in Sports shift mode...the gears will go down as the speed decrease. However, while your slowing down, say the green light came on when ur were goin 70mph but slowed down to 35...then you are probabaly in 4th gear which will drag your butt so in that case, you want to downshift one time in 3rd gear to maintain the power. if your going higher speeds and downshifting...thats gonna hurt your car...so dont do it...unless you like to race...

when you race...and if you would like to use SS mode:
all you have to do it just shift up one time everytime you want to change gear. If you do it a lot, u'll know when you should shift up , but most cases...i just do one shift at every 6000rpm (give or take)...

hoep this helped...i hurd SS takes up a little more gasoline than just going automatic too...hehe...get a cold air intake system...u'll want to down shift everytime you drive...
Old 09-30-2002, 06:52 AM
Cruisin'

RE: Cold air intake...
Will this significantly increase power and/or horses? Is it a fairly simple bolt-on or would I need to bring it to a mechanic? I've done my share of home mods and rebuilds, but usually to older, simpler cars.

Used the SS mode this past Saturday for the first time (TL is my wife's daily driver), and had a blast! Too bad there are so many other cars on the road tho'! Always had to slow down!

BTW: There's another thread on speeding tix. Not surprised if a lot of TL drivers get 'em! Fun car to go fast in!!!
Old 09-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

personally im still not a fan of the sportshift... i dont like having to look down to see which gear im at. with a manual car u can hold ur hand on the shifter and just know which gear ure at. just my two cents
Old 09-30-2002, 10:14 PM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3
personally im still not a fan of the sportshift... i dont like having to look down to see which gear im at. with a manual car u can hold ur hand on the shifter and just know which gear ure at. just my two cents
Sportshift is better than fully automatic but I agree with you in nothing can replace a fully manual gearbox with a clutch and a 5-speed. Except of course a 6-speed.
Old 09-30-2002, 10:16 PM
Racer

Yeah that's very true...it gets kind of annoying having to look all the time to make sure you are in the gear you wanted.
Old 10-01-2002, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Some of you must be misusing the term SportShift.

I always know the gear I am in when using SS. Also, if you have to look "down" you must mean look at the dash, 'cause looking down will not yield a clue when in SS mode, right?

For someone that is in PA (lucky you ), you should be able to fully enjoy SS mode: It allows you to drive your car while maintaining optimum powerband range under a wide range of driving terrain. Here in FL, things are rather flat and straight, sooooo... SS mode becomes more of a toy than anything else.

BTW: <blink>Never</blink> use Sequential SportShift when racing. Always use GateShifting, and remember to have your VSA/TCS OFF.
Old 10-01-2002, 09:14 PM
Racer

What exactly is gateshifting?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:55 AM
Racer

I think he means, shifting it from 1st gear to 2nd gear manually at the gearbox. From down 1-2 all the way up to D-5. Not using the SS.
Old 10-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

stiletto, u must not have ever driven a stick shift car before... you may say that you might not have a hard time figuring out what gear you are in , cuz u must be trying to actually remember which gear u put it into last. Sportshifting shifts the gears even if u dont want it to, take it to redline and itll shift... simple as that. Brake and itll drop u all the way to 1st....

with a stick shift car there is no number to tell u what gear ure in... just keeping your hand on the shifter tells u what gear you're in. and when i say in SS u need to look down, of course im talking about the dash.. either way it distracts and the lag is always there between shifting.

and if peeople are really racing, then why are all the professional drivers using the sportsshift/triptronic/steptronic to shift when doing 1/4mile and 0-60times? noone is using gating but perhaps you. Thats like saying i can jump into any old accord and then use the d1,d2,d3,d4 and shift to go faster
Old 10-04-2002, 01:16 AM
Comptech Freak

i suggest not to downshift or upshift at high rpm constistanly....

look at the tranny failure issues...

i leave it at auto most of the time unless i go on hwy...which i need to kick down to 3rd for accel