New to the TL scene. . .kinda

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the TL scene. . .kinda

in about 3 weeks I am selling my Legend and looking for a 99-00 TL. My father bought a 99 TL about 2 years ago and finally convinced me to look at getting one myself, but i am curious about a few things:

1. Did the 99-00 have the option for Navi? and if so, is it possible to do the Navi to Video conversion?

2. I remember hearing that some TL's had had issues with transmissions and I was curious if there was anything i could know to look for when looking at them to tell.

3. Any other general things I need to know to ask about when shopping TL's?

I am a huge acura fan and I have nothing but good things about the site here from the Legend Forums I used to post on (note that I didn't ask for opinions on the TL, I know what those answers would be )

Thanks for any help in advance.

Scott
Old 11-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

I too am a great fan of acura ....having owned three in the last few years and a honda accord b4 that.....but as production and design shifted to the usa it seems that quality has suffered in some way.
Old 11-16-2002, 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get an '00 as you get a 5 speed auto for better hwy gas mileage and more horsepower from the improved intake manifold. For 25 more horses alot of us have gotten headers (OBX brand) cold air intakes (CAI) and mufflers; all can be had for about $1000 or less if you install then yourself. The Type-S cars that came out later benefit even more. My tranny is still fine but some do go up but Acura just gave us 100K mile warrantees. Fluid changes are easier than even changing the oil and if you do it often you should be OK. The factory bugs will probably have been fixed on any 99 or 00 you purchase.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome & to answer some of your questions the 1999 & the 2000 models each have Navigation System. The 2000 & up models Navigation Systems stores route data for the continental U.S. on one single DVD. The 1999 System needs multiple disc for each area/region. For example you need a seperate disc for say mid-atlantic region Washington/Baltimore area & another one for NEW York area & California & other states. The 2000 & up models have the DVD that covers areas on a single DVD. As for the Video conversion you need to do a search on here for that issue. It is a few minor changes from the 1999 & 2000 model & the 2001 is the same as the 2000. The 1999 model has the 4 speed auto sport-shift tranny. The 2000 & up models have 5 speed auto sport-shift tranny. With the 4 speed in the 1999 when in sport-shift mode you can shift from 1st gear to 4th gear. With the 2000 model & up when in sport-shift mode 1st to 2nd gear shifts are automatic. Then you shift from 2nd gear to 5th. I think ACURA made that change to prevent over revs in 1st gear. The 2000 model stock is about a half a second quicker. It also got a 2 mile per gallon increase in fuel economy on the highway over the 1999. The 1999 is 19 city 27 highway the 2000 19 city 29 highway. The 2000 has front side airbags in addition to dual front airbags. Side airbags are in each front seat for better protection from side impacts. The passenger side has sensors in the seat to prevent the airbag from going off if a child or small adult leans into the path of the a deploying side airbag. The 1999 model does not have side airbags in the seats. With this said the 1999 model passenger seat heater when turned on will heat the top & bottom portion of the seat. The 2000 & up models will only heat the bottom portion of the passenger seat only. This is do to the airbag sensors in the passenger seat. The drivers seat will heat top & bottom of the seat when turned on. Other changes from the1999 to 2000 model. The stock 2000 got a newly redesign intake manifold which optimiizes the charge being fed to the combustion chamber. This further boosted performance, efficency & around town response. Some other small changes between the 1999 & 2000. When you open the hood of the car the engine top of a 1999 looks like nice sculptured art work as you can see on your fathers the 2000 model is just plain Jane tool box look. The 2000 lighted window switches will turn off if you lock the windows.
The Trans problem is more on the 2002 Type-S models of the TL .
But the 2000 model is coverd for this on the extended warranty also. Try to get one that still might be covered under this warranty.
Old 11-16-2002, 03:32 PM
Instructor

Get an '00 as you get a 5 speed auto for better hwy gas mileage and more horsepower from the improved intake manifold
Although you may get better fuel economy with the 5 speed transmission on the '00, the horsepower remains the same (225) for all TL's from '99 on, with the exception of the Type-S, or course.