new recall for 1999 TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
new recall for 1999 TL

Interesting...I guess I can get the work done for free huh?

Description 1999 TL IGNITION LOCK
Date 1/31/2005
Type Safety Recall Campaign
Status Open

here is what it says...
February 2005
Preliminary Information on Recall Campaign
Dear Acura Owner:

Our records indicate that your vehicle is part of a voluntary safety recall to repair the ignition switch interlock in certain Acura models. In rare cases, it is possible to remove the key from the ignition when the shift lever is not in Park.

When sufficient replacement parts are available, you will be notified by mail to make an appointment at an authorized Acura dealership for a free inspection and any necessary repairs.

Prior to being repaired, your vehicle is safe to operate. Please remember to shift your transmission to Park and apply the parking brake before exiting the vehicle.

If you have additional questions, please contact Acura Client Services at (800) 382-2238.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Acura Automobile Division
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
umm.. i thoguht this recall was already in effect a long time ago??? i definitly already brought my 99TL in four months ago and got my ignition lock replaced.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:51 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, it's an old recall. I got mine done over a year ago.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by BlackShadow
Actually, it's an old recall. I got mine done over a year ago.
how about you go check your owners link before you say that...the old one is an Ignition Switch Recall from the summer of 2002. This is a new one that just came up on my owners link...if you look at the date you will see that.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
Who Dis Is?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea I got that letter in the mail about a year and a half ago.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Tunaboy
Yea I got that letter in the mail about a year and a half ago.
shit guys, Im saying this is a NEW ONE>>>not that old one, I already know about the old one, this is from this month!
Old 02-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
lol...
thanks for the heads up sig.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:34 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
whats the difference? i thought the one i did a while ago was because of the key being able to be pulled out while its in any position the shifter is in.. that's what the guy working at the desk told me..
Old 02-25-2005, 12:00 AM
Boomer SOONER

who knows...maybe they did that one for certain VIN's and they just now are going to do it for mine...cause I have 2 ignition recalls and this one just came out this month, while the other one was during 2002 and its been taking care of already.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 AM
Who Dis Is?

Originally Posted by aaronnn
whats the difference? i thought the one i did a while ago was because of the key being able to be pulled out while its in any position the shifter is in.. that's what the guy working at the desk told me..
Well shit, if that's the problem, my car definitly still does that. Sometimes, ususally early in the morning, Ill think that my battery's dead since the car won't start unless it's in park. Take that back sig.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 AM
O.G.

January 2004

Safety Recall: Ignition Switch Key Interlock

Dear Acura Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1998 2.3CLs, 1998-99 3.0CLs, and 1999 3.2TLs with automatic transmissions.

Limited batches of an ignition switch component do not have sufficient surface hardness. If the ignition switch in your vehicle contains this defective component, the switch may wear excessively and prevent proper interlock operation. The interlock ensures the transmission is in Park before the ignition key can be removed. Interlock failure may allow the ignition key to be removed when the gear selector lever is not in Park. If you do not set the parking brake when you park, the vehicle could roll and a crash could occur.

So what's the difference? How about you go back to your owner's link before you say something back. You think I was talking about the 2002 Acura Ignition Switch Recall but I am not. This one is from 2004 so.......

Like I said before, I had mine replaced over a year ago.

I don't know why you got yours a year after me.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

I had BOTH recalls done: the Ignition Switch Key Interlock AND the Safety Recall Campaign. The fact that you are getting this letter from Acura late just means what they've said: "When sufficient replacement parts are available, you will be notified by mail to make an appointment at an authorized Acura dealership for a free inspection and any necessary repairs." Don't sweat about it, just book an appointment to have the Ignition Safety Recall Campaign done.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Boomer SOONER

shadow you are a jackass - if you look at the dates on my first post, you will see that this recall just showed up in my owners link this month - if yours did last year then great but mine didnt - that is why I was asking about it.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

January 2004

Safety Recall: Ignition Switch Key Interlock

Dear Acura Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has determined that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1998 2.3CLs, 1998-99 3.0CLs, and 1999 3.2TLs with automatic transmissions.

Limited batches of an ignition switch component do not have sufficient surface hardness. If the ignition switch in your vehicle contains this defective component, the switch may wear excessively and prevent proper interlock operation. The interlock ensures the transmission is in Park before the ignition key can be removed. Interlock failure may allow the ignition key to be removed when the gear selector lever is not in Park. If you do not set the parking brake when you park, the vehicle could roll and a crash could occur.

So what's the difference? How about you go back to your owner's link before you say something back. You think I was talking about the 2002 Acura Ignition Switch Recall but I am not. This one is from 2004 so.......

Like I said before, I had mine replaced over a year ago.

I don't know why you got yours a year after me.
There is a difference: all I know is that the ignition switch interlock requires the physical removal and replacement of the ignition (system)?. Since my aftermarket alarm system was hardwired to the ignition (for ignition kill purposes), my Acura service dealer told me they could not/would not touch the alarm wire to have the iginition replaced under warranty. I had to go back to my alarm installer and get them to disconnect the iginition kill wire, then go back to Acura for the ignition switch interlock warranty, then after that was done, go back to my alarm installer to have the ignition kill reconnected. Talk about pain in the butt!

When I got the 2nd notice for the safety recall campaign, I specifically asked the service advisor if I needed to disconnect my ignition kill wire first (as I didn't want to repeat the hassle I experienced the first time). After consulting the head mechanic, the service advisor said there is no need, they won't be going anywhere near where the ignition kill wire is attached to. So, that means the ignition interlock recall and the safety recall campaign are both different in what they fix.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Boomer SOONER

thanks patrick! I knew I wasnt blowing smoke
Old 02-25-2005, 11:31 AM
O.G.

Originally Posted by ou sig
shadow you are a jackass - if you look at the dates on my first post, you will see that this recall just showed up in my owners link this month - if yours did last year then great but mine didnt - that is why I was asking about it.
Yea, you're a tough guy on the internet. Grow up!

All I said on my original response was that I got it done over a year ago. But then you go and got all defensive about it.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Boomer SOONER

Yea, you're a tough guy on the internet. Grow up!

All I said on my original response was that I got it done over a year ago. But then you go and got all defensive about it.
you obviously havent read all of the responces like the last one patrick said, there have been 2 ignition recalls, both sound the same but arent - and if you think calling you a jackass is being tough...I would say its not, but who cares, you obviously dont so dont worry about this thread, I was just bringing up to everyone the fact that I now have a new recall on my car - trying to be a good forum member
Old 02-25-2005, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ou sig, not that you need support, but here are the 3 items in my recall list at Owner's Link.

Description ACURA IGNITION SWITCH RECALL
Date 5/17/2002
Status Fixed

Description 1999 TL IGNITION LOCK
Date 1/31/2005
Status Open

Description 2001 TRANS WARRANTY EXT
Date 9/27/2002
Type Warranty Extension Campaign
Status Open
Old 02-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Boomer SOONER

Mike, ya that is exactly what mine says now...oh well Ill just take it in when they mail me - not a big deal. I wish there were a recall on the whole engine so I could get a fresh new one! haha
Old 02-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Cruisin'

Service told me this was not fixed on his car...and actually, I need to get another key/fob set for my son's TL. I should probably do both at the same time. Now here's a question -->

When I bought the car it only came with one set (seller said the other is lost). I heard about scams that after you buy a car, they know your address and come and drive the car away (easy steal). Is there a way I can have dealer program the key I got with the car and also get a new one so the one that is "lost" won't work? I'd feel safer then.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The updated bulletin came out 1-28-04, long time ago. The bulletin # is 03-034.
There is no new one, I looked on Acura's site.
Sig...I'm an Acura tech and can send you the actual bulletin from Acura if you PM me with an email.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:52 PM
O.G.

you obviously havent read all of the responces like the last one patrick said, there have been 2 ignition recalls, both sound the same but arent - and if you think calling you a jackass is being tough...I would say its not, but who cares, you obviously dont so dont worry about this thread, I was just bringing up to everyone the fact that I now have a new recall on my car - trying to be a good forum member
First of all, I know those 2 recalls are not the same.

Like I've said all along, it is NOT a new recall. It probably seems new to you cause you haven't gotten it fix yet (status is open), just like MikePA is too. But to the rest of us that got it fixed already, it is not new at all but over a year old.

So I am trying to let other people know that it is NOT a new recall but simply the same one as before - trying to be a good forum member. I've been here too long so I think I know what I am talking about.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:54 PM
O.G.

Originally Posted by lbbrando
Sig...I'm an Acura tech and can send you the actual bulletin from Acura if you PM me with an email.

Thank you lbbrando!

There is no new one.
Old 02-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Instructor

i had the same recall for my 99' accord when i owned it, about year and a half ago
Old 02-27-2005, 07:28 PM
O.G.

I hope everybody is cleared on this topic.

Hey sig, where are you? So do you get what I am trying to say now?
Old 02-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Boomer SOONER

I hope everybody is cleared on this topic.

Hey sig, where are you? So do you get what I am trying to say now?
hey Im back now - I was gone all weekend...I dont think either of us are understanding eachother, so Ill leave this alone. all I am saying is I have 2 recalls for my "ignition" area. the one from a few years ago that everyone has had and a new one just was added to my owners link that is specific for the '99 TL - the recall info. is dated Feb. '05 so I find it hard to believe it is an "old" one like you seem to think - if you still think that, then great its not that big of a deal either way.

here is a link to the CL site - they are also talking about it.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167441
Old 02-27-2005, 09:57 PM
O.G.

hey Im back now - I was gone all weekend...I dont think either of us are understanding eachother, so Ill leave this alone. all I am saying is I have 2 recalls for my "ignition" area. the one from a few years ago that everyone has had and a new one just was added to my owners link that is specific for the '99 TL - the recall info. is dated Feb. '05 so I find it hard to believe it is an "old" one like you seem to think - if you still think that, then great its not that big of a deal either way.

here is a link to the CL site - they are also talking about it.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167441
You still won't admit it. Even the acura tech said it is not a new recall but simply an old one that wasn't fixed yet for your vehicle. Enough of beating a dead horse. I just hope other people know the difference and not get paranoid thinking that it is a new recall when it is not.

Peace.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Boomer SOONER

You still won't admit it. Even the acura tech said it is not a new recall but simply an old one that wasn't fixed yet for your vehicle. Enough of beating a dead horse. I just hope other people know the difference and not get paranoid thinking that it is a new recall when it is not.

Peace.
shit man - listen - the original ignition recall WAS FIXED for my car already 2 years ago - just like you and everyone else...are you confused? this is a different one - why I got it?? hell if I know...by reading the words, it looks like a very similar recall - I dont know why another one would show up. Do you honestly think I am reading into this more than what shows up on my owners link??? obvisouly I have no idea about this, other than what is says on the site - get that through your head, I am not saying anything other than what I see.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:31 PM
O.G.

shit man - listen - the original ignition recall WAS FIXED for my car already 2 years ago - just like you and everyone else...are you confused? this is a different one - why I got it?? hell if I know...by reading the words, it looks like a very similar recall - I dont know why another one would show up. Do you honestly think I am reading into this more than what shows up on my owners link??? obvisouly I have no idea about this, other than what is says on the site - get that through your head, I am not saying anything other than what I see.
Sorry, but you're the confused one. Damn you are easy to piss off. Calm the fock down and relax.

I am done talking to immature people that can't hold a normal conversation without losing their cool.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Sorry, but you're the confused one. Damn you are easy to piss off. Calm the fock down and relax.

I am done talking to immature people that can't hold a normal conversation without losing their cool.
You're a dum dum. Two different recalls. Two different dates. How do you interpret them differently? The ignition interlock and the ignition switch. I know they may SOUND the same to retards... But they're still two different things. When you're done thinking that you're a BAD-ASS, head down to your Acura dealership and have them spell it out for you.

In the meantime we'd appreciate it if you would keep your know-it-all tactics to yourself. Ou sig is a respected member of this board. He is very knowledgable and has acurate information. You do not.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:38 PM
O.G.

Originally Posted by uncald4
You're a dum dum. Two different recalls. Two different dates. How do you interpret them differently? The ignition interlock and the ignition switch. I know they may SOUND the same to retards... But they're still two different things. When you're done thinking that you're a BAD-ASS, head down to your Acura dealership and have them spell it out for you.

In the meantime we'd appreciate it if you would keep your know-it-all tactics to yourself. Ou sig is a respected member of this board. He is very knowledgable and has acurate information. You do not.
Who the fock are you mr. 163 posts? I've been around since the board was created and longer than the both of you combined noob. So let's not talk about respect.

I know they are 2 different things that's why I've got both of them done to my car smartass. So before you go and talk smack, back it up with some facts.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts
Who the fock are you mr. 163 posts? I've been around since the board was created and longer than the both of you combined noob. So let's not talk about respect.

I know they are 2 different things that's why I've got both of them done to my car smartass. So before you go and talk smack, back it up with some facts.
Fact: New to the TL board. Had a CL before.

Fact: ou sig has ACCURATE info. You don't.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:37 AM
Boomer SOONER

IF you got both of yours done...then why did I just get this recall this month? That was my whole point...maybe you and others already have done both, thats great and Im not saying you havent, I was just talking and wondering why that recall just showed up in my owners link if it in fact wasnt a new recall at all...you seem to think that I dont believe you have already done it, thats fine if you have, I was just wondering why I couldnt have done both back when you did...not a big deal just a simple conversation that you want to make bigger than it was - "immature"??? you have no idea

uncald4 thanks for the back you actually understood what I was saying
Old 02-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

OK you two, knock it off! To clarify for everyone reading this thread:

Ou Sig and Blackshadow are both correct, there are two different recalls on the ingnition switch for the '99 TL.

Blackshadow is correct, this latest recall that Ou Sig received is not a new recall. I had this 2nd recall done quite some time ago, if memory serves me right, over a year ago.

It's a new recall to Ou Sig because it's the first time he's heard of it. The fact that Ou Sig did not get a notice until now is probably due to Acura's statement: "When sufficient replacement parts are available, you will be notified by mail to make an appointment at an authorized Acura dealership for a free inspection and any necessary repairs." It takes some time for Honda to get replacement parts out to the dealerships, and go through their list of 99 TL owners. It just so happens that Ou Sig is near the bottom of the list. No big deal, no problem.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Boomer SOONER

thanks patrick for also not reading more into what I wrote. That was my general comment the whole time once I understood that this other recall has been on going. ok we can now all be friends again
Old 02-28-2005, 08:23 PM
O.G.

thanks patrick for also not reading more into what I wrote. That was my general comment the whole time once I understood that this other recall has been on going. ok we can now all be friends again
That is what I have been trying to say all along. Sig just misunderstood me. I was just trying to let other members know that it is NOT a new recall so they don't get all paranoid about it. Even the acura tech guy backed me up. But I knew it was new to him because it was the first time he got it. But I just wanted to clarify things.

Sig, I knew what you were talking about but you are just hard-headed and don't want to listen to me.

See what happens when 2 stubborn people get together. I'm cool now.

BTW, mr 163 posts, read what patrick wrote. We were both correct. I knew where sig was coming from too but you had to stick your in a thread you think you know.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:47 PM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lbbrando
Damn, I thought some fact, knowledge, and number's would of solved this.
If you just got a letter....don't know what to tell you.
At work we run vin's for any recall and things that have to be done without customer approval. Anyones oil jet kit, interlock, ignition, timing belt tensioner, window control unit..etc could of been done when you brought your car in for something else, but the dealer will tell you when it's done. You may still recieve a letter in the mail for recall items that may have been done already.