New to Me (Agean 03 TL-S)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 03:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Me (Agean 03 TL-S)

Just purchased a 03 TL-S with Navigation in Agean Blue and love the car! However I have two small issues that I am curious about. I did a search and I believe I know the answers to both of them but wanted to get some live opinions.

1. The car howls / moans from the intake when idling. I opened the air box and saw that it does not have any baffles. Is the only way to eliminate the very, very loud howl is to purchase the baffles from Acura?

2. I know TL’s have transmission issues so before I bought the car I called Acura and gave them my VIN #. They told me my car, late 03, is not covered in the 100k mile warranty. Is this because the late 03’s have upgraded trannys or am I just screwed?

3. If I am screwed can I purchase an extended warranty from Acura? If not has anyone bought one from warranty direct just for the tranny issue?

Thanks in advance,
Old 11-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueGTS
Just purchased a 03 TL-S with Navigation in Agean Blue and love the car! However I have two small issues that I am curious about. I did a search and I believe I know the answers to both of them but wanted to get some live opinions.

1. The car howls / moans from the intake when idling. I opened the air box and saw that it does not have any baffles. Is the only way to eliminate the very, very loud howl is to purchase the baffles from Acura?

2. I know TL’s have transmission issues so before I bought the car I called Acura and gave them my VIN #. They told me my car, late 03, is not covered in the 100k mile warranty. Is this because the late 03’s have upgraded trannys or am I just screwed?

3. If I am screwed can I purchase an extended warranty from Acura? If not has anyone bought one from warranty direct just for the tranny issue?

Thanks in advance,
Not sure what your talking about by baffles. There arent baffles in the airbox. what do you mean by howels/moans? shouldnt be making any noise. Maybe if the lower resonator was removed you would get a hum.

Your screwed. They didnt fix anything (despite what they told you for some 03s)
Old 11-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

damn yea u lucked out on the tranny....
Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Instructor

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Acura supposedly won't cover my transmission, since it was also a later production 03 TL. When I was buying the car, I was offered an Acura warranty, but I declined it, since the tranny was replaced not to long ago and I thought I was in the clear (far from it). Have you checked to see if yours was rebuilt or replaced yet? Or is it still on the original tranny? If you just purchased the car, call the dealership back (if you bought it from one) and talk to the finance manager, he might be able to squeeze it in before the loan application is approved by the bank (if you financed).
Old 11-03-2006, 06:05 PM
7th Gear

This is my first post since I bought my 03 TL-S in Windsor Ontario 30 days ago. I had no knowledge of this car before. I bought it in a hurry. I made the decision simply basing on the following factor: it looks great, the test drive was smooth, it has about 27k and the leather was nice.
I was a bit concerned about a low humming sound each time after starting the car, then it disappear when the car warm up. The car is like my child and I was worried. At first, I thought it might be the early sings of a bad transmission. Later on I was told that it might be related to the feul pump when it starts up. Please correct me on this one. In any event I am not worried about it any more.
Just to add a little more note, I was also unsure what to do with oil change initially because the time is up for maintenance. After some homework, I decided to use Mobil 1 and Fram Tough Guard. So far it seems good. For the first time I ran the car up to 150km/h on my way home. It is smooth and the music is good.
As far as the warranty is concerned, I was offfered 2 years for $1500. It is a lot of money. I have paid for the car so I declined the offer. I focus on enjoying the car than thinking about the future problem. I might be a millionaire by then.
Stephen
Old 11-03-2006, 06:19 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Not sure what your talking about by baffles. There arent baffles in the airbox. what do you mean by howels/moans? shouldnt be making any noise. Maybe if the lower resonator was removed you would get a hum.

Your screwed. They didnt fix anything (despite what they told you for some 03s)
The car makes a very loud resonance from the intake. The sound gets louder when I pop the intake up and put my hand in toward the throttle body (increasing restriction). The sound is like air being sucked into the intake tube but it is passing over something and making a very loud noise.

As for the tranny, how much does a new/rebuilt tranny cost with labor if paid out of pocket?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

I also found out that my 03 tranny is not covered. However, if you read through the long thread in the problems area of this forum, you will find that several have gotten Acura to pay for it even though they weren't included in the extended warranty.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Glacier Frost Mica CL-S

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
enough with the chit chat, post some pix of the car
Old 11-04-2006, 09:58 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

Originally Posted by imagerockone
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. Acura supposedly won't cover my transmission, since it was also a later production 03 TL. When I was buying the car, I was offered an Acura warranty, but I declined it, since the tranny was replaced not to long ago and I thought I was in the clear (far from it). Have you checked to see if yours was rebuilt or replaced yet? Or is it still on the original tranny? If you just purchased the car, call the dealership back (if you bought it from one) and talk to the finance manager, he might be able to squeeze it in before the loan application is approved by the bank (if you financed).

What was the prod date cutoff for the 03's??