new info about warranty and mods

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 09:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry new info about warranty and mods

Hey all,

I'm not trying to freak anyone out here, I'm sure you all know better than I when it comes to moding your vehicle. I posted a question about this a while back, but I just had to ask the dealership. I asked the head mechanic about how adding mods would affect my warranty. The mechanic straight-up told me that any mod will void my entire warranty! :wow: I remember someone telling me that the dealership needs to prove that the mod was the cause of the breakdown, so I asked him. He told me that this is not true, that "the addition of any aftermarket parts that alters the original and intended function of the vehicle will void the warranty". Is this true? Someone tell me it's not! I've been so looking forward to moding my baby!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:06 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
It is not true. I believe the relevant document is the Magnuson-Moss act (or is it the Moss-Magnuson?). The part has to be the proximate cause of the faiulre, and it is only for that part and damage downstream.

And a warranty, in part or whole, can only be voided by the mfr in writing - not the dealer, not the mechanic.

Still, as a practical matter, I tend to work with the dealer, throw him some $$ now and then, and only add parts I know are bona fide, not whacky chat room stuff.

With my Acura dealer, I have never had a problem.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Yeah he's messing with you. Stick to brands that are proven, i.e. Comptech and you should be ok.
Old 02-07-2002, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods will only void the part of the warranty that covers the modded part (or related components, like RR said). For example, if you install a CAI and the engine subsequently aspirates water and cracks the block, the dealer could (and probably would) argue that your mod caused the engine to aspirate water. Had the original design been left alone this wouldn't have happened. Any repairs *could* be denied (not saying it would happen, but certainly is a possiblity).

Now if you install the CAI and the front wheel bearings give out, there is no direct correlation between the two parts so they would be replaced under warranty, with (hopefully) no questions asked.

If your dealer wants to void your entire warranty for a mod before even seeing what mod you've done, I'd take my business to a different dealer. Not only is he ignorant, he does a disservice to Acura customer service.