New guy here...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2002, 01:49 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission problems?

..Hello everyone..new here.
I don't know much about these TL Type S...but I like them a lot...looks, performance, comfort...etc. Looking to get one soon...
I've been reading your posts for a little bit, and everyone's concerned about the transmission failures...is that really a big problem to all Type S owners? Because if it is, I don't know if I'd be interested in it anymore...?
Thanks

By the way, this is what I drive now, but need a sweet sedan like the Type S for my wife and I.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb

I don't think that you need to worry about the transmission problems on the car. The TL has as many (actually few) problems as any other car on the market. I mean, Mustangs are historically known for the problems that they have.... but you bought one anyway, right? And how many problems have you had... probably not many b/c you seem happy with the car. Well, the same goes for the TL-S. Some people have had problems, but you're talking maybe 3% of the people on the board have had tranny issues. 3% of this board is about 1% of all TL sales, which is a pretty average number. You have to remember that on a board like this... you're going to hear a lot of good and bad things b/c you're dealing with enthusiasts, but if you look at the raw numbers.... they're not unusual. I think you should at least test drive one... I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Advanced

Thumbs up Welcome to the party

If you do decide to take a test-drive, save yourself a return trip and bring your checkbook! There is no better deal for the price in this country.

The only thing "bad" about the TL is the popularity of it. And that is why you have all the people on this site who are proud of their cars and look for ways to distingush them from the ones that everyone else has.

With all of that said, good luck with whatever you decide to get.
Old 03-25-2002, 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks guys!
Yes, Mustangs have had their problems...but I haven't had any...50,000miles and still running strong. Knocking on wood!

Gonna go for a test drive real soon!
By the way, what are some of the easiest and wallet-friendly mods a new TL-S owner would get first? I used to own an econobox...1989 Acura Integra LS...and gee, the parts for them back then were quite pricey!
Old 03-25-2002, 05:48 PM
Banned

wow sweet looking stang!!! :wow:

Best mods to do first... i would say, Cold Air Intake, thats around $200, and if you can get springs, and those run around $300 or so.
Old 03-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Good things about TL-S: Fantastic value for money. Great engine. Looks good. Handles well. Reliable. Enough mods to keep you busy. And most importantly: there are no Altezza lights available for it

Bad things: Creaks and rattles if you're unlucky. Dealer service may be spotty, depending on the dealer. Stock tires suck.

That's a great looking ride, by the way.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

man, sweet car! and hehe, you do have a very good way to hide your front plate man. serious though, why don't you just take it off?
Old 03-25-2002, 11:49 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by rominl
man, sweet car! and hehe, you do have a very good way to hide your front plate man. serious though, why don't you just take it off?
Thanks...The reason why I kept it there is because lots of my 'stang friends here in the Bay Area who don't have front license plates on their cars all got ticketed for "no front license plate". I don't want to go through that:p
Old 03-25-2002, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

umm.... but isn't that you hiding the plate behind the bumper also against the law? i thought the law states that you have to show your licence plate on the out of the front of the vehicle, not lower than 22 inches from the ground or something like that.

well, at least i don't have mine on too. probably coz' mine is more like a family car i never got pulled over for that
Old 03-26-2002, 12:11 AM
Cruisin'

umm.... but isn't that you hiding the plate behind the bumper also against the law? i thought the law states that you have to show your licence plate on the out of the front of the vehicle, not lower than 22 inches from the ground or something like that.

well, at least i don't have mine on too. probably coz' mine is more like a family car i never got pulled over for that
True..but at least I try to obey the law by having a front license plate I've had cops sitting at stoplights directly in front of me, passing by me, etc. and they never have said a thing...(knocking on wood)...some just follow me or stopped me to see if I was sober or not smokin' something...but I bet they just wanted to check my car out. I mean, c'mon..I am running an offroad H-pipe (no catalytic converters!:wow: )..you can hear me a mile away...and they never have asked me about my exhaust...oh well.. I hope you're not a cop! LOL...An yet, Saleen is a car just like any other car that rolls off a dealership, and if you look closely, the bumper doesn't have any holes for front license plate..wonder how they got away with that!
Hey, you're gonna have to let me know when is the next Bay Area meet so I can come and check out all your cars!
Old 03-26-2002, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by 1999GT

True..but at least I try to obey the law by having a front license plate I've had cops sitting at stoplights directly in front of me, passing by me, etc. and they never have said a thing...(knocking on wood)...some just follow me or stopped me to see if I was sober or not smokin' something...but I bet they just wanted to check my car out. I mean, c'mon..I am running an offroad H-pipe (no catalytic converters!:wow: )..you can hear me a mile away...and they never have asked me about my exhaust...oh well.. I hope you're not a cop! LOL...An yet, Saleen is a car just like any other car that rolls off a dealership, and if you look closely, the bumper doesn't have any holes for front license plate..wonder how they got away with that!
Hey, you're gonna have to let me know when is the next Bay Area meet so I can come and check out all your cars!
oh yeah, of course man. you should come and see what we got under the hood usually we have a meet every month though i wasn't able to go to the one last time the next one i think is 4/20, where all cars will meet in south cali for the whole cali meet
Old 03-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Cruisin'

oh yeah, of course man. you should come and see what we got under the hood usually we have a meet every month though i wasn't able to go to the one last time the next one i think is 4/20, where all cars will meet in south cali for the whole cali meet
Kewl! Maybe not this one though...South Cali is a bit far for me right now..he he...I'll wait for the next local one.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:13 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car

That is an awesome looking Stang. I just recently started noticing and liking the latest generation of Mustangs and yours is pretty sweet. I hope you are not getting rid of it, are you? It would be nice coming home and having to choose which car to take for a spin (TLS or GT)!
Old 03-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
...i got bad news for you...if you put the kinda mods on your wifes car.. that you've put on yours....she'll whoop up on ya!!!...start with tires toyo T1-S 235/45 on stock wheels will do great...then if you go H/E/I (you could leave out the exhaust((not much gains))) add RES and MMII and she'll see you when you get home...
w/o RES and MMII ive run a 9.433@76.77 1/8th add the above 2 mods and im hunting for a 13.9 1/4
Old 03-26-2002, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Re: Nice car

Originally posted by ferizzo
That is an awesome looking Stang. I just recently started noticing and liking the latest generation of Mustangs and yours is pretty sweet. I hope you are not getting rid of it, are you? It would be nice coming home and having to choose which car to take for a spin (TLS or GT)!
Thanks. Of course I am not getting rid of it! I just sent in my last payment and received my title of ownership!!! After 3 long years of paying dearly for it, it's finally mine..no more payments on it. It's a weekend car (I take public transportation to work)...the reason I am looking into a TL is because my wife really needs to get rid of her little Corolla and get something nicer..and also for those days when we take friends/parents out to dinner and stuff...surely cannot ask my parents to squeeze into the backseat of my 'stang! LOL So, the TL seems like it would suit both our needs...class with sportyness.

Hey Type R, you will need to explain all this H/E/I, MMII, and RES stuff more clearly for me...he he...I have not been exposed to import mods that much so don't know much about it...thanks!

Funny...I am asian (Taiwanese)..drive a 'stang...and know nada about imports...he he...
Old 03-26-2002, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Re: Nice car

Originally posted by 1999GT

Hey Type R, you will need to explain all this H/E/I, MMII, and RES stuff more clearly for me...he he...I have not been exposed to import mods that much so don't know much about it...thanks!

Funny...I am asian (Taiwanese)..drive a 'stang...and know nada about imports...he he...
...hey no prob...
H= headers believe it or not 30 whp.. but 1K$$
I = intale cold air intake AEM 300$ about 5-7 whp 5 lb.ft.
E= exhaust several choices not much more that looks
RES= upper intake manifold replacement 10whp/15lb.ft 350$ when available
MMII= some electronic device that advances spark still not availbale 15whp 10 lb.ft 125$...
welcome....have fun...