new to forums - considering a TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 12:35 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to forums - considering a TL

Hi. I'm in the market for a used inport and am looking at the TL/TL-S. I have never driven one, but just from seeing them, decided that's what I wanted.

I've only owned GM products as an adult, so I'm very unfamiliar with most imports, save for riding in a couple Accords back in college. (Leased a '95 EX-V6 for a week right after college but a week later they said financing didn't go through, so I gave it back rather than get a cosigner and have ignored Honda ever since!) My '99 Alero GL has been a great performer, but the quality thing just pushed me over the edge and I'm sick of five years and nothing to show for it $-wise. So I've decided to buy a nicer import used. I figure even if I take a five year loan, it's gonna still have value and probably still more reliable than if I bought another new domestic (Grand Prix my likely choice).

Because the Acura dealership around here isn't very close to me, I wound up going to the local Audi dealer first. I was there to drive an A4 b/c my coworkers were raving about the quattro. While the quattro was nice, the engine just had nothing behind it at low speeds. I've never owned a 4-cyl, so this may just be me adjusting. When the turbo kicked in, it was nice, but still didn't feel very solid to me. Just for kicks, I tried on an '01 A6 2.7T and fell in love. It's a bit more than I want to pay at $23,600 with audi certified, but they have 1.9% financing on it for 60 mos. I'll finish my MBA next year and could afford to pay it off early after that (assuming new job and all). Car has 44k miles. Warranty is to 100k, but I believe only 6 yrs from date of first sale (unsure when that was right now). Anyhow, a very nice car, if not way out of my league.

I put the decision on hold because I really want to drive a TL. I'm hoping to go tomorrow morning. The 1.9% deal ends Monday, so if I don't like the TL, I'll go back to Audi, but if I do, I won't jump into anything and take my time. I've been reading the forums for a while and I'm a little afraid of the tranny issue. I really started looking at the TL b/c all my coworkers rave about their Honda quality.

I've read the forums, done searches, etc. and found some TL vs. A6 threads. However, they assume I want to race or have money for mods, etc. For me, I'm looking for a car with good power and handling, but also a little comfort. I just want to feel a touch of luxury. Hell, I've never even had leather seats (aside from one particular week. . .). I've never raced and wouldn't know how to. Ditto with modding my car (though the body kits in the pics aren't as unappealing as I'd have thought - maybe my first mod someday?). So all stock for me. Reliability/warranty is very important. I can't be dropping $500 on a repair bill every few months. College is partially reimbursed, but not free!

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know. I'm hoping I can get a similar TL for a bit less money than the A6.

Questions I have:

-How does the Acura certified program compare to Audi's?
-Any major TL issues besides the tranny? What percentage have to have it replaced? I read in here something about a 100,000 mile warranty on it. Is this original owner only or transferable?
-Plus any other comments you may have. (not too familiar with Audi reliability, but what's with this recent report saying new US cars have fewer issues than new European cars? scary!) (any other similar car I should consider around 20 grand?)

Thanks in advance for any advice. Sorry for the length and that I'm not into racing/modding! Maybe I'll get the modding bug some day from hanging around here a little. . .

(Oh, and I live in Cleveland, so the quattro has extra-special appeal - I certainly wouldn't own a RWD as my sole means of transportation.)
Old 03-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
The TL is a great car, no real problems other than the tranny and Acura is really trying to help out as much as possible with the extended warranty. I think the car is great, I also like the Audi look. I am very happy with it, has everything, decent power, good looks, good reliablity, and a good price. I think the TL is a great bargain considering all you get. You will be happy with the TL
Old 03-27-2004, 01:10 AM
3rd Gear

Thank! I see you have a green one. Only colors I've seen around here are black, white, gold and silver. My last two cars were black and silver. Really hoping I'll find a nice "colorful" color. Saw a blue once and it's awesome.

Hell, even the A6 was a metalic "champagne". Guess I'm in the class where bright colors don't fly much.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

Okay, I made it to the area Acura dealership today. I think I want a TL over the A6. Just felt like the car I've been looking for. They had a nice blue '00 TL-P with 33k miles. Wanted almost $22,000 for it. Certified. Titled Feb '00. Huge chip in the windshield ain't gonna fly with me, though. They were willing to come down in price, but I was hoping for an '01. The salesman explained that the transmission was covered for 7 yrs/100k from original date of purchase. That means less than three years coverage. I have to take a 60-mo loan on something that high, so I'm looking at over two years of making a payment but having no assurance the tranny won't die (assuming I can't pay it off early). Seems like a risk, no?

Does this price seem high? There was a series of scratches on the back bumper (like someone backed too close to a concrete barrier in a parking garage) that show up as white on the blue and at least one scratch in the paint that he said they could minimize. Besides that, it appeared to be in great condition. Only other thing I didn't care too much for was extra wood trim around the gauges (not the extra all over the console and whatnot). Is that probably just glued on there?

Thanks again.