New To Detailing Cars Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 11:58 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK These are the supplys I will be buying based on your guys recommendations..

1 Waffle Weave Drying Towel
3 MicroFiber Mitt
5 Meguiars Applicator Pads
8 MicroFiber Towels

I have been quoted by JT International As Follows:

1 - 24x46 waffleweave = 12.00
8 - 16x16 microfiber soft, plush terry towel = 16.00
3 - Microfiber Mitts = 9.00
S&H Priority mail = 7.60

Total: = 44.60

Tell Me if Above is not enough stuff or too much stuff
so let me know..
Also is Microfiber soft, Plush Terry towel the right towel that you guys were recommending?
Old 11-01-2002, 04:26 PM
Race Director

Also How do you guys clean and wash the applicator pads to use next time. Also I can put the waffle weave and MF Mitt and MF Towels together when I wash right? What should I use, Bleach, Softener warm water etc? THANKS!
Old 11-02-2002, 04:56 PM
PAW
Instructor

Sheeting techique and other info

Here's the post for Autopia

The PERFECT Drying technique

I started this as a reply to the "MF vs. Chamois" thread but decided it was important enough to warrant its own thread. Guys - I believe I have come up with the absolute best drying method, which has evolved over time and I've tried a lot of stuff. I've only gotten this far recently, but I've tried it now 3 times and I am absolutely convinced it is "right".

Premise: I think we all agree that rubbing of any sort is the enemy, so the goal must be maximum drying with minimum rubbing. (And of course it goes without saying that you better have done a good job washing in the first place - we don't want to be rubbing dirt around on the paint!)

Observation: Nothing completely dries with minimal swipes and no scratching better than a MF towel. However MF towels load up with water pretty quick and don't work well once they're very wet. Which leads me to:

The Technique: First thing is to get MOST of the water off without touching the car. I've tried driving it, leaf blowers, air compressors, you name it - but frankly, low-pressure, high volume water is easiest and perfectly sufficient. Take the nozzle off the hose. Let it pour over the top. You will see the water sheet off. Move the hose down to "feed" the sheet as it flows down the car - this will keep the sheet wide and it will carry away more water that way. (i.e., feed the wet part, not the dry part.) This gets rid of about 90% of the water.

The remaining 10% is still enough to soak a MF towel - so - take a nice absorbent terry towel in one hand and your MF towel in the other. BLOT - do not rub - with the terry towel. This gets rid of all the remaining drops and leaves only a little moisture behind. One wipe with the MF in your other hand- voila! A perfectly dry car, wiped ONLY with MF, only one pass per area. A single terry and a single MF are more than sufficient.

PLEASE TRY THIS!!! If you can come up with anything better I want to know it.
Old 11-03-2002, 02:52 AM
Race Director

Whoa very smart guy.. So what i do is turn my water pressure to low and take the hose off and just let the water run very slowly on the roof and go around the car.. Thats a really simple thing not many people think about.. do I really need a Terry Cloth or is 2 MF's work?
Old 01-06-2003, 02:11 PM
Cruisin'

I don't want to be redundant but I did some searches and I read the FAQ and all these posts. I just washed my car for the first time. I used the techniques above but I don't have a microfiber towel so I used regular cotton ones.

I have two problems.

#1 I had some water spots. Is there any soap that doesn't leave water spots or is there any tip not to get them, my water sucks and I can do nothing about it.

#2 When I finished drying my eternal Blue car, it was beautiful outside of the towel fragments on it which I painstakingly picked off basically by hand. Where can I get one of these super towels that isn't abrasive and doesn't leave the threads and crap from my apparently cheap towels?
Old 01-06-2003, 06:09 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
About the towels... I am guessing this is the reason NSXNEXT recommended these, this came from his car washing FAQ.

A very highly recommended brand is Royal Velvet by FieldCrest. They also produce a thicker, more luxurious brand called Charisma. These towels should only be washed with a good liquid detergent, never use fabric softener, and if possible they should be line dried. If you are unable to line dry them, use a clothes dryer but don’t dry them entirely in the dryer, removing them early and let them dry indoors.

-Ryan
'99 SSM TL
Old 01-07-2003, 04:34 PM
Instructor

what do you all think about the California Water Blade for drying?

j