New '01 TL Owner - WTF

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Stock TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New '01 TL Owner - WTF

Just recently purchased a used TL and now I wish i had found this forum earlier. I had a '99 Audi 1.8T Quattro before it was totaled out. I didn't encounter any of these problems with it. The benefits I felt from this TL are HP, nicer interior and comfort, and overal appearance. But damn.. what kind of freakin mileage is this.. pulling it around 20 mpg and need to refuel around 300 miles.. I now spend more time at the gas station than ever before. Then there's that rattling sound i started to hear. The CDr problem i have. I'm also worried about my tranny that's going around in this forum. I feel i have every issue listed on this forum now.

i thought going back to japanese imports was suppose to be for the better.. ARGH! :rocketwho
Old 05-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FreeIsGood
i thought going back to japanese imports was suppose to be for the better.. ARGH! :rocketwho
The TL's are built in Ohio. BTW...welcome.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

It depends how good the previous owner treated that car. All Japanese cars a reliable, but you still got to do the required services.

Did u check the service records? Was it properly maintained? Try changing to Synthetic oil. Make the sure coolant is changed too.

Just recently purchased a used TL and now I wish i had found this forum earlier. I had a '99 Audi 1.8T Quattro before it was totaled out. I didn't encounter any of these problems with it. The benefits I felt from this TL are HP, nicer interior and comfort, and overal appearance. But damn.. what kind of freakin mileage is this.. pulling it around 20 mpg and need to refuel around 300 miles.. I now spend more time at the gas station than ever before. Then there's that rattling sound i started to hear. The CDr problem i have. I'm also worried about my tranny that's going around in this forum. I feel i have every issue listed on this forum now.

Old 05-03-2004, 10:48 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I never get worse than 24 or 22 in the city with some highway driving and 27+ on all highway. Its all about how many times you get it into VTEC, I have actually got 18 before, when I was haulin ass everywhere. Just keep the RPM's down and youll be ok.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
where is your driving? all city all hwy or a 50/50 mix? mileage depends on the driving. 300 mixed isnt that bad. i typically get 28-30 on the hwy and 18-24 city (hard to calculate my city cause my car idles all day long)
Old 05-03-2004, 12:00 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Uh, hello, you also moved from a 4-cylinder to a v6! And a 4-door! Were you expecting an INCREASE in gas mileage?
The CD-R problem is definitely linked to the brand of media. I have good luck with Memorex (seems that anything with a light colored background doesn't work well;maybe too relfective?) Anything with a dark recording surface works well for me. As for the tranny, worry about it when you have a problem, Acura has extended the warranty on teh tranny to 100K miles.
And as has been said, any car that's not maintained, Japanese or not, will not hold together.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:06 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.8L - 3.2L and you were not expecting a gas cost increase?
Old 05-03-2004, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you always "pedal to the metal", you are lucky to get 300 miles a tank. Plus, you have to pay for the additional HP you get.

Cheers !!!
Old 05-03-2004, 12:12 PM
TL-S driver

Welcome aboard! From a 4cyl to a 6cyl your gonna see at least a 100 mile lost in gas milage...sorry! Good luck with you new car.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:35 PM
Stock TL

Thanks for the welcome.

I agree with the 1.8 to 3.2 upgrade causing a drop in mpg, but my gf has a v6 maxima at 3.0 and she pulls in great milleages.. I'm not comparing maxima vs TL (I've read the threads already :toothless ) . I actually don't drive fast, just normally like i would with my audi. about 60/40 city/high.

This vehicle is still under warranty and i have a schedule appointment 5/5/04, so i'll bring up if they can replace my HU. Like thread comments, how does a 30k luxury car not play cdrs...

What is recall from ALLDATA for "Fuel Pressure Regulator"??? what does that do?
Old 05-03-2004, 02:45 PM
Still sluggin' it out

It's not really all about driving fast...it has more to do with how high your RPMs get and if it's stop and go driving. 300 miles/tankful isn't bad for a V6 dude. Try having a F150 SuperCrew as an everyday car and then come and talk to me (LOL) I love the truck but the gas mileage sux ass
Old 05-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome.

I agree with the 1.8 to 3.2 upgrade causing a drop in mpg, but my gf has a v6 maxima at 3.0 and she pulls in great milleages..
Are you comparing milage or miles driven between fill-ups? The maximas have a bigger fuel tanks than TL's.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:08 PM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by vtec11
Are you comparing milage or miles driven between fill-ups? The maximas have a bigger fuel tanks than TL's.
I would say both. And that brings up another peeve i have. Specs say tank is 17 gallons. Light goes on around 13 gallons. On top of that the fuel gauge is actually close to the E line. I ain't taking no changes. I read that by design it turns on 2-3 gallons. And if that is the case, shouldn't the bar be 3-4 lines above the Empty marker. This gives me a sense of panic..

Originally Posted by ResidualFreedom
1.8L - 3.2L and you were not expecting a gas cost increase?
Both were running 91 octane

Originally Posted by Love my 99
It's not really all about driving fast...it has more to do with how high your RPMs get and if it's stop and go driving. 300 miles/tankful isn't bad for a V6 dude.
RPM is below 3k 90% of the time
Old 05-03-2004, 05:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I would say both. And that brings up another peeve i have. Specs say tank is 17 gallons. Light goes on around 13 gallons. On top of that the fuel gauge is actually close to the E line. I ain't taking no changes. I read that by design it turns on 2-3 gallons. And if that is the case, shouldn't the bar be 3-4 lines above the Empty marker. This gives me a sense of panic..
as for the needle, dont go by the lines. when mine (low fuel light) i am about 1- 1 1/2 lines above the E mark or about 3-3.5 galons. they have that as a saftey so that you dont run out.
try switching different brands of fuel. i have found that some in our town give me horrible mileage and others make the car run smoother and get better mileage
Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 PM
On the way!

You probably have 100 highway miles left when that light turns on. If you're doing city driving let the needle go to E before you fill up.

You have PLENTY of reserve. Just make note of the number of gallons you put in when you fill up. We've had people put a full 17 in before (but that's pushing it WAY to far). If you're filling up to about 15 gallons you're going about as long as you could safely for normal city driving.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Stock TL

By the time i fill up it's like 5 miles from touching the E marker, latest fill is at 13.5 gallons.

Thanks all for all the info! This is a great community!
Old 05-03-2004, 05:57 PM
On the way!

Cool - let it go to 15. I know it's a bit scary when you look at the needle and light, but you'll get to learn when your car REALLY needs a fill up.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When your gas light goes on...you have about 3miles before you car "actually" runs outta gas.

Welcome to the boards!
Old 05-03-2004, 08:25 PM
Instructor

You never stated how many miles are on your TL. If you are at 60K miles with the original spark plugs, I would suggest replacing them along with the trans fluid and air & cabin filters. My 2001 TL with 76K miles gets 28 MPG with mostly highway driving. I was impressed with the milage rating because it was the same as my replacment (1988 Accord - 4 cylinder engine).
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 PM
On the way!

Originally Posted by Southern
You never stated how many miles are on your TL. If you are at 60K miles with the original spark plugs, I would suggest replacing them along with the trans fluid and air & cabin filters. My 2001 TL with 76K miles gets 28 MPG with mostly highway driving. I was impressed with the milage rating because it was the same as my replacment (1988 Accord - 4 cylinder engine).
Southern, the spark plugs in the TL are an NGK ultra long life platinum that is good for at least 100k miles. If you're not at that sort of mileage, or have other reasons to replace then forget about changing them. Changing the cabin air filter should be done about every 30k miles. I did mine initially in swampy FL at 20k and found quite a bit of mold on the output side of the filter. 60k is way too long (certainly for a southern/humid environment).

You have to be careful about changing trasmission fluid. If your car has no aparent transmission problems, then changing the fluid is no problem. I have it on quite high authority that changing transmission fluid on a car that is experienceing transmission problem symptoms is a sure knife in the back for your tranny.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fla-tls
Southern, the spark plugs in the TL are an NGK ultra long life platinum that is good for at least 100k miles. If you're not at that sort of mileage, or have other reasons to replace then forget about changing them. Changing the cabin air filter should be done about every 30k miles. I did mine initially in swampy FL at 20k and found quite a bit of mold on the output side of the filter. 60k is way too long (certainly for a southern/humid environment).

You have to be careful about changing trasmission fluid. If your car has no aparent transmission problems, then changing the fluid is no problem. I have it on quite high authority that changing transmission fluid on a car that is experienceing transmission problem symptoms is a sure knife in the back for your tranny.
My spark plug recommendation was to improve on the poor gas milage stated in the original post. Mine were replaced at 60K miles before I bought the car by an Acura dealer.

My 60K cabin and air filter recommendation was made do to the fact that it is an interval of the recommended 30K service. I change my cabin filters at 15K intervals mainly because I tend to over maintain my cars. I use a cleanable Comtech air filter.

My 60K transmission fluid change recommendation is based on my theory of frequent fluid and filter changes will prolong the life of the engine and transmission. My trans fluid was also replaced at 60K miles by the Acura dealer.

The fluid and filters recommendation was to help rule out reasons for poor gas milage. Keep in mind that the recommended maintenance intervals are base not only on milage but on years (which ever comes first). There are two recommended maintenance intervals - normal and severe depending on the type of driving (highway verses city driving).
Old 05-03-2004, 10:05 PM
Racer

Talk about a gas mileage change--I went from a black 00 Civic EX coupe that got 24 around town to my 00 TL that gets 19 around town. I can go right at 270 miles when the fuel light comes on and its another $27 fill up. Just put a K&N filter in today and ran some Lucas Liquid Tune Up fuel injection cleaner in it a week or so ago. But its nice to have another 4 door luxury sedan with a V6 and some hp!
Old 05-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Besides the fluids, replace the plugs (and possibly wires) as well as the O2 sensor. Like what fsstyms said, experiment with different brands of gas. Also, put in a bottle of fuel system cleaner on half a tank and run it to empty. A K&N air filter may also give you some mpg (works for some).

Despite what you read here, just take care of the car and with the extra tranny warranty, you have peace of mind. Enjoy driving it, but don't drive it to the ground.

The TL's mileage will suck in the city but will be great on the highway.
Old 05-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Stock TL

Originally Posted by Southern
current miles is 24,600ish.

Originally Posted by vicman17
The TL's mileage will suck in the city but will be great on the highway.
Ya, I just need to adjust myself from 1.8 to v6. Although, i do drive my GF maxima often to notice the difference with my TL and her Maxima :p

Still a great car.

Originally Posted by `ill*tl
When your gas light goes on...you have about 3miles before you car "actually" runs outta gas.
Was that a typo? 3 miles?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:09 PM
4th Gear

Angry DUDE WTF is wrong with MY NEW TL???

I have just recently purchased my '01 Acura 3.2 TL Black on Black... back on April 5, 2004 started driving it. MY TANK YEILDS ABOUT 260 MILES THEN GAS LIGHT COMES ON!!!!

I HAD THOUGH SOMETHING WAS WRONG I DRIVE PLENTY FREEWAY DAMN... ~!!!!!!! VERY UPSET. MAYBE A MAJOR TUNEUP SHOULD HELP??
Old 05-06-2004, 06:16 PM
Still sluggin' it out

Originally Posted by j_cho83
I have just recently purchased my '01 Acura 3.2 TL Black on Black... back on April 5, 2004 started driving it. MY TANK YEILDS ABOUT 260 MILES THEN GAS LIGHT COMES ON!!!!

I HAD THOUGH SOMETHING WAS WRONG I DRIVE PLENTY FREEWAY DAMN... ~!!!!!!! VERY UPSET. MAYBE A MAJOR TUNEUP SHOULD HELP??
How many miles? I thought our motors didn't need a tune-up until 100k?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:17 PM
El Presidente

you have about 3 gallons left when the light comes on. i can get a good 40-60 miles after the light comes on and not worry about running out.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Stock TL

Just drop off my TL wednesday 5/5 for a list of issues I have . Service Rep is really friendly. Thursday, Service rep called and said they'll replace the HU with one that works with CDr.. i'll report back once i get my car back

Still waiting on the other issues.
Tranny
Back seat rattle
MPG

'01 tl still under warranty.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro

you people are lucky.... i'd be lucky if i get 260miles on a tank... 70% city tho
my norms is 220-240 on a tank.. ive done as bad as 180... i think the best ive done was 330 100% highway. any ideas? could it be i have just an EXTREMELY heavy foot?
Old 05-08-2004, 09:35 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
250 around town, 350 on highway. not bad for a V6, i had a 1998 maxima which did pretty much the same, with a 3.0 V6. Had a prelude 1997, which did 20 miles to a gallon, thing was kick ass but mpg was way beyond shity.
-----------

2004 TL-P
Nighthawk Black
A-spec, full body kit, wheels ++
No mods ( not yet)

2000 TL with navi
Philips 6000K D2Rs
metalic grey
19" Volks, Pirelli Pzero Nero 225/35/ zr19
Xenarc X1010 aux low beam (5400K DH-C HIDs)
ALpine CDA-7998
Metra Kit,
Kenwood components upfront,
JBL components back doors,
2 Alpine SWR-1241
Alpine V12 for the speakers
Alpine V12 for the subs

In the works
Custom Exhaust
Magnaflow (sounds sweet) Dual AMG tips either side
Old 05-11-2004, 11:57 AM
4th Gear

Talking Stock Head Unit that WORKS?????

Just drop off my TL wednesday 5/5 for a list of issues I have . Service Rep is really friendly. Thursday, Service rep called and said they'll replace the HU with one that works with CDr.. i'll report back once i get my car back

Still waiting on the other issues.
Tranny
Back seat rattle
MPG

'01 tl still under warranty.

When you get it or if this is for real let me know. I have been trying and trying to get my unit to read these cd-rs only my Maxell cds work in my unit!...
Old 05-11-2004, 12:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by `ill*tl

Welcome to the boards!
huuhhh....did you mean 30 miles?