Need warped rotor advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need warped rotor advice

OK, I guess I need to start coming here more and OT less, because I have been having a problem with what I suspected was warped rotors for several weeks now. I came here to see if anyone else had that problem, and lo and behold, it looks like an epidemic.

I am going to make an appt. with the dealer to get this fixed, and I wanted to get input. Should I let them resurface them, or should I push for replacement rotors? Someone mentioned there is a TSB out on this - what does it say? Anyone have a number for the TSB I can reference?

Also, I was reading the threads about what causes this. I am not a hard braker at all, in fact I am a very soft braker. I usually apply the breaks softly over a long distance when stopping, which I was actually worried might be the problem, but that doesn't sound like the case.

To me, the most likely explanation is improper torqueing of the lug nuts. Does anyone know how quickly this can cause the warpage? I had my car in for the 7500 mile service and they rotated the tires, and the shaking started within days of having this service done. Can they warp that quickly?
Old 02-05-2002, 11:21 PM
tea elle

mike,

get them to resurface the rotors and they should replace the pads with the new ones recommended by acura. thats what they did for me at 9,000 miles.

they wont replace them yet, just resurface. if it happens again they may try to resurface again or they will have to replace them.

its as simple as that, don't let them tell you any differently
Old 02-06-2002, 08:38 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had my rotors resurfaced at 14K and they replace the brake pads under warranty. I would just let the dealer handle the problem.
Old 02-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Racer

Originally posted by TypeSDragon
I had my rotors resurfaced at 14K and they replace the brake pads under warranty. I would just let the dealer handle the problem.
Did you have to pay for the resurfacing?
Old 02-06-2002, 11:19 PM
Racer

Yeah I just got my brakes done too. They did it under warrenty.
They should be nice about it. Hope it turns out fine

Mr.T
Old 02-07-2002, 08:09 AM
Intermediate

A lot is gonna depend on your dealer. Mine replaced my rotors and pads under warranty at 22,500 miles due to warpage. Other folks say their dealers resurfaced the rotors and replaced pads under warranty, and some said thay got no help at all. Might as well take it in and see what they say. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:35 AM
tea elle

Originally posted by volkracing

Did you have to pay for the resurfacing?

absolutely not!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you can push them to have them replace them, but it all depends on how bad they warped. If it isn't much, than you'll be fine with just resurfacing.

Mine were warped after only 3K miles. They hadn't warped much and the vibration wasn't bad. I asked about replacing them, but they ended up just resurfacing.

The TSB leaves it up to the discretion of the TECH.