Need some HELP!!! I think I got screwed

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Need some HELP!!! I think I got screwed

Two thursdays ago, I went to long island because I was going to drop three of my friends off at the airport at 5:00 AM Friday Morning. I parked my car in front of their house overnight. The people across the street had a party and they were pretty piss drunk. I know this because at 2AM we saw them. When we went to sleep, at around 330 AM, I heard my car alarm giong off so I got up and turned the alarm off. At this point, I saw a few people in cars from across the street and I was so out of it to think to go outside and ascertain why my alarm went off. Anyway, at 5AM when we were leaving to go to the airport, I saw that my car got hit twice. The first hit is shown here (Picture 1). The second is shown here (Picture 2). When I came back from the airport (pissed off), I woke up my roomate and he went outside to look at it. We then headed over to our neighbor's house in which my cousin's gf lives and her roomate said she heard two alarms going off. When she looked outside, she saw a maroon Grand cherokee side swipted a Black Yukon. The Yukon had maroon paint all over the side and there was plastic remains from a broken taillight of the person who hit the car. When we looked across the street at the house who threw the party, we saw a maroon GC with the side all messed up and it had a broken taillight. When we called the cops, they knocked on the door and two girls came out (one of which on owned the GC) and she had no clue what happened to her car. Turns out one of the guys at the house drove the car and hit our cars. So anyway, to make a long story short, it was entirely their fault. I was not in my car. I took my car to Rallye Body Shop and they gave me an estimate of $2600 bucks which included a new fender, bumper, and repairing the door and door handle plus all the paint and labor.

OK, now here's where I'm screwed. Her insurance, Nationwide told me to take my car to one of their bodyshop affiliates to get an estimate. Their guy gave me an estimate of $1200 bucks which includes repairing the bumper, fender, door, paint, and a new wheel ($80 for a new wheel!?!) I did not sign anything saying I was going to take the money or did I tell them I am settling. I just went home after the estimate and they sent me a check for $1200 bucks. Now I don't know what to do! The labor rate they are giving me is $18 bucks! Who the hell works for that much??? What do I do??? I should not have to pay out of my pocket for something I had no part of. I looked into it a little and NYS law says that you should not be forced to take it to a shop you don't want to. I want to take it to Rallye because they have a good reputation and I know I won't get screwed on the work. However, they aren't giving me enough to take it there. I haven't called them yet. I will wait for some people to reply and give me advice on what to say. Then I will call them, most likely tomorrow.

Anyone who has had an experience like this please reply.

Thanks a lot!
Rosh
Old 06-30-2003, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What insurance do you have? What I would do is get your insurance involved. See what their estimate is on the damage. Approve their quote if its higher. Pay the deductable and let them go after the other insurance company. They should get their full amount of the estimate if there is a police report to back up who's at fault. Then you can get back your deductable as a refund once everything is said and done.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have geico. I was told I did not need to report this to my insurance by the cop and their insurance. I'm an idiot for not listening. I should have reported it when it happened.
Old 06-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Pro

You should see what your insurance can do. After all you do pay them for insurance. Time to get some of that serve you have been paying for. Just give it a try, nothing to lose. That my attitude.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rallye does good work....they have ****ty customer service, but the body shop does good work...i had my rear bumper re-done there and it came out great.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Black TL, stop reading this, and call your ins co NOW. Report it, they will fix it and then go after the other guy. DO NOT cash the check the other ins co sent you!!!
Old 07-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Anytime you walk in off the street and get an estimate it is going to be much higher than if it is insurance work. Did they ask you the questions "Is this an insurance claim?" Body shops try to make more money off any dude that walks in not wanting to claim anything on insurance. Also, almost any bodyshop will do the work listed by the insurance company. If they need more money or find more wrong with the car the insurance company will pay.

Here is a real life example... Wife gets rear-ended, dude says I will pay out of pocket and the estimate is something like $580. Then he changes his mind and the insuracne company estimates it at $290. Body shop fixes it for that.
Old 07-01-2003, 03:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Insurance companies suck ass.
Since its not your insurance company they are trying to screw you.

You are not required to use their recommended shops.

You get it fixed where you want it fixed.
For something this small if you tell them you are going to get a lawyer and take them to court they will probably pay up because its not worth it for them to goto court.
Old 07-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Racer

Do not cash the check. I heard cashing the check is like accepting their terms.

I got into an accident a while back. I just had my insurance take care of everything. I paid the deductible and had the deductible refunded to me at the end of the ordeal. Only thing I had to pay was 20% of the rental car that I could have sued for, but I was sick of the whole situation that I just let it go.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally posted by scottt
Black TL, stop reading this, and call your ins co NOW. Report it, they will fix it and then go after the other guy. DO NOT cash the check the other ins co sent you!!!
Scottt, you are right, your own Insurance Company will help you more than someone elses. And, if it is not your fault and they are recovering the money,it will not be chargeable against you.

Also, you should never have to go anywhere you don't want to, to have your car repaired. BTW, I am an adjuster, and know of which I type.