In need of some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 07:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In need of some help

I'm extremely close to purchasing a 2002 3.2TL type S, but I'm still "weighing my options". All of my close friends are Audi owners so they are pushing very hard for me to get a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T instead of the Acura. For some reason I feel like the Acura is the right choice, but the Audi has a lot of things going for it (All wheel drive, turbo engine which I can modify and put at about 330 hp, and 370 torque).

So what I need of you guys is to bring up reasons for me to get the Acura

(btw, I'm currently a 2002 RSX (base) owner)

Thanks in advance
Old 01-02-2005, 09:12 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What are the reliability ratings on the Audi? I'd bet the cost of ownership on the TL will be lots lower.
The Audi does have potential locked away in the turbo, but it depends on what you're after.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Cruisin'

The reliability issues are what gives me that "gut feeling" that the Acura is the better choice... Its just hard to go with your gut when your friends have such a strong and biased opinion about their beloved Audi
Old 01-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
owned an audi

i had an a4 and that thing sucked. yes its a cool car awd is awesome chipping it is awesome but i had so many problems with my car. i know the 2.7t have tons of problems most to do with the turbos that blow after like 50 k miles. if i were you find a good deal with an audi with warentee and sell it right after the warentee is up. i love the tl its a bigger car but its still potent

my 2 cents
Old 01-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

I would think about cost of maintenance and repairs. The Acura is hands down the winner. You should compare recommended maintenance schedules...then price the maintenance costs. That difference alone will be a nice chunk of change.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:41 AM
Instructor

lots of factors to think about....such as maintenance and repair costs, insurance premiums,
"luxury" sedan vs. sport sedan..(meaning the acura has more room)...reliability...depreciation...$35 for labor vs. $55, 65 on european cars

most important is the turbo failing on the audi...maybe a blow off valve might prolong the failure. drivetrain on AWD expensive to fix. just go with what you desire....

im not in the market to win any races...for me, I wanted the reliability of an accord but my wife wanted some power...she still hates the look of the tl. but now loves her MDX...
just my opinion...doesn't the X and TL look alike?? side/front...
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Safety Car

Gotta love peer pressure .... what do you want? Are you debating to please yourself or your friends?
Old 01-03-2005, 10:39 AM
Cruisin'

Peer pressures a bitch

I just wanted to make sure I wasnt making a mistake by going with the TL, and since this will be the first car that I own (the RSX is a lease) I don't ever want to have that feeling of regret. Which is why I decided to go with the TL. The Audi will eventually break.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:24 PM
2400 Watts in a TL...Why?

Originally Posted by audiusa.com
2001-2004 Audi A6 2.7 T

Audi began offering the handsome A6 with a powerful turbocharged engine in 2001, two years after the debut of the original car. With all-wheel-drive and a broad torque band, this car is quick in any language.

Base price : $40,850 Get a free price quote

Engine : V6, turbocharged, DOHC, front engine AWD
Displacement : 2,671 cc
Valve : 30 valves, 5 valves per cylinder
Transmission : 6-spd manual, 5-spd automanual
Fuel economy : city - 18 mpg
highway - 25 mpg

Suspension : F - Independent MacPherson strut
R - Independent MacPherson strut
Brakes : F - Vented discs
R - Solid discs

Horsepower : 250 hp @ 5800 rpm
Torque : 258 lb-ft @ 1850 rpm
Redline : unknown

Top speed : 130 mph(electronically limited)
0-60 mph : 6.0 sec.(manual), 6.6 sec.(automanual)
0-¼ mile : 14.2 sec @ 98.0 mph
60-0 braking distance : 125 ft
200 ft skidpad : 0.81 g

Curb Weight : 3759-3924 lbs
Overall length : 192.0 in.
Wheelbase : 108.7 in.
Overall Width : 76.1 in.
Height : 57.2 in.
Well if you're comparing the cars based on HP, Modding and Repair cost it seems like the TL-S is the better choice.

-Stock to stock the TL-S has more HP and it's not turbocharged.

-The typical mods to the TL-S (I/H/P/Ex) will get you a bit over 320hp (maybe more) and these mods "usually" cause no harm to the engine...

- You can start chipping the Audi like mintioned above, but if the turbo is the "Achilles' heel" of the Audi's engine.. you are going to run into some expensive repairs once you bump up the HP past 300, and I'm thinking the chips add alot more HP then 50.

- Plus, don't forget, those quattro systems are great, but I would check if they'll be able to handle 300-400 hp before buying one..

Because honestly I would love to have a "reliable" turbo system for our TLs (we don't in case you didn't know, we've got a S/C though) but HP comes at a cost, if you're adding 120+hp to your stock car, (through a turbo, chipping, S/C, etc..) there are many factors to take in to account. If getting the HP , indirectly meant "start saving for a new trannie (tl's "soft" spot) or turbo (audi)" the repair cost could easily out weigh the cost of the mod.

Just my

and the Audi is "electronically limited" at 130mph what's with that?....j/k
Old 01-03-2005, 01:58 PM
Advanced

don't get the tl if you think AWD is necessary to survive in a snowy winter.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRudy
The reliability issues are what gives me that "gut feeling" that the Acura is the better choice... Its just hard to go with your gut when your friends have such a strong and biased opinion about their beloved Audi
Yep, misery loves company!!

Get the TL!!
Old 01-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Audi's have long suffered from reliability problems, which is part of the reason where their resale values are so bad - the other reason they don't get the respect that other German (BMW and Mercedes) gets.

Borrow a Consumer Reports auto issue and see how they stack up. I'm sure you'd rather be enjoying an Acura, rather than waiting for your Audi to come back from the shop.

--Scott