Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 03:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Need some help

Today, I park my car in the lot and I come back after my final (appx. 2 hours later) and my battery was dead. The lights inside the car still worked and my keyless entry still worked but the car wouldn't start. It just clicked a few times per start like click click click click but fast.

So, I get a jump from Public safety and I start driving. I let it warm up for about ten minutes before I drove and now, whenever I come to a stop, the RPM's idle really low and the car shakes or stutters. I checked the battery light and it is bright green. Even before the jump. I don't know what could be wrong with it.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I replace my battery?

I have 56k on a 99 TL bought April 99 so it's not THAT old.

Should I take it to the dealer since my car is out of warranty?

Thanks
Rosh
Old 12-19-2002, 03:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uh oh. definetly take it to the dealer and have them check it out. similar problem in my old car---turned out my entire electrical system was shot. hope everything works out man...
Old 12-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Cruisin'

I had the same problem once with my ex-Jetta. All I hear was the click click sound. Got jump start, but engine rattled and rattled and finally died. Battery was fine too. It seemed that there was a electrical problem, I forgot what it was. Dealer had to take the dash board out and fix it.
It costed me a bundle. Since your battery seems to be ok, yeah, take it a dealer.

But just to make sure, check your battery output at Pepboys or Autozone. I had that also. Battery was not dried or anything, but there was a corrosion or something that hindered the output. They checked my for FREE.

Good luck
Old 12-20-2002, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Alternator??
Old 12-20-2002, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

First of all, since your car is a '99 and has 56k miles on it, and if you never replaced the battery, then you should. Stock batteries will probably last 5 years tops and if you crank it numerous times per day, it will drain a little faster. If you still have problems after you replace the battery and still get that clicking sound, then it's your starter. I had the same problem before with a fresh battery and I had to use a stick to hit the starter a few times for it to crank on my older car. If you don't know where the starter is, it's usually green and you can see it from under your car.
Old 12-23-2002, 12:52 AM
Burning Brakes

I had this prob...thought it was something with the system I had in my 97 Grand Prix. Turned out my ALTERNATOR went...it actually DIED while I was driving - my lights bugged out, bass faded, car just turned off...I had it jumped and all was fine...till....it DIED again on me and I almost hit a tree!! (Sooo at 2a.m. I called my bro, woke him up, and made him come save his big sis!)
Old 12-23-2002, 07:22 AM
Ex TL-S owner

Re: Need some help

Originally posted by Black TL
Today, I park my car in the lot and I come back after my final (appx. 2 hours later) and my battery was dead. The lights inside the car still worked and my keyless entry still worked but the car wouldn't start. It just clicked a few times per start like click click click click but fast.

So, I get a jump from Public safety and I start driving. I let it warm up for about ten minutes before I drove and now, whenever I come to a stop, the RPM's idle really low and the car shakes or stutters. I checked the battery light and it is bright green. Even before the jump. I don't know what could be wrong with it.

Anyone have any ideas? Should I replace my battery?

I have 56k on a 99 TL bought April 99 so it's not THAT old.

Should I take it to the dealer since my car is out of warranty?

Thanks
Rosh
Rosh,

same thing happened to me at school when I had the lexus. It ended up being a bad battery. The battery's green light looked good, but not good enough. Hope you get this fixed without spending a lot of $
Old 12-23-2002, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ben, it's been working fne for the last couple of days. The bass cuts out once in a while but that might just be a loose connection. BTW, how's the new BMW treating you?
Old 12-23-2002, 03:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the battery to me take it to have it checked.
If its the original battery its on its way out anyway they are only good for 3yrs. Some people get 4 or 5 years of life out of them but as a rule thump change the original battery after 3 yrs.
I have seen this in car magazines under auto tips. I was told the same by a SEARS auto tech while having the original battery on my sister DODGE minvan replaced. I was also told by the DODGE service maneger. The original battery in my previous car a 94 ACCORD went out a little over 3yrs. The AUTO TECH on PBS MOTOR WEEK weekly TV SHOW PAT GOSS said the same exact thing last week. If its 3yrs old its time to replace the original battery. Some replacements last longer than 3yrs. The Diehard Gold has a full 5year free replacement warranty now. I am going to get on e of them as my car will be 3yrs old this week. Also get your electrical chareing system check. Most places like SEARS check it when you get a new battery.