Need quick response

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need quick response

I am going to the dealer tmr for my regular 12k check-up. I would like to take this opportunity to address my problems and wonder if the following problems could be fixed:

1) There is a squeaking sound coming from the passenger side seat when driving.

2) Say u want to park (on flat road or downhill), u shift to P and apply the e-brake, when u let ur foot off the brake, the car moves a bit forward or backwards. (do u guys know what i am saying?)

3) When u open the trunk, it has a creeking sound.
Old 03-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Type II Coupe

Problem # 2 is normal... I believe all cars do this... Correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 03-08-2004, 11:40 PM
Instructor

the car actually moves about half a wheel back, like the car is not at the same position when u first park it
Old 03-09-2004, 12:30 PM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For #2, after you set the brake and put it in Park and let it rest where it wants to, put it back in drive and leave the parking brake on. Try to drive away. Does it have any resistance in hold the car back? If not you'll either have to push on the parking brake brake pedal harder or get parking brake cable adjusted or replaced.

If the pedal is set hard enough AND the cable isn't defective, that car shouldn't move at all.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Put the car in neutral first, and then apply the ebrake and let the car settle on that. Then put it in park. Thats what I always do!
Old 03-09-2004, 05:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

#1.

are you sure it isn't the console armrest?..
Old 03-09-2004, 08:00 PM
Instructor

I just got my car back. The dealer said it's not the seat which is causing the noise, it's the sunroof. (???) They eliminated the noise by putting tape on that. I dont trust them, but I will test my ride to see if there is still that noise.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by rickman00
I just got my car back. The dealer said it's not the seat which is causing the noise, it's the sunroof. (???) They eliminated the noise by putting tape on that. I dont trust them, but I will test my ride to see if there is still that noise.
Mine actually has the squeak in the passenger seat also.

It is not the sunroof (at least on mine). I have actually narrowed it down to the area around the side airbag on the passenger side.

I have also confirmed it is not the seatbelt or seatbelt mechanism.

Let me know if this noise comes back. This is really annoying as it is the only squeak or rattle I have in the whole car.......
Old 03-09-2004, 08:49 PM
ULOOZ

The squeak could be comming from the sunroof seal. Theres a TSB on that ,or I have seen the seal lubed with "Shin-Etsu" grease to get rid of the noise. The trunk springs need grease at the contact points. Is someone sitting in the seat when it squeaks? The seat buckle may be rubbing against the frame.
Old 03-09-2004, 08:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by livinglegend
The squeak could be comming from the sunroof seal. Theres a TSB on that ,or I have seen the seal lubed with "Shin-Etsu" grease to get rid of the noise. The trunk springs need grease at the contact points. Is someone sitting in the seat when it squeaks? The seat buckle may be rubbing against the frame.
Mine already had the sunroof squeak taken care of. This squeak is in addition to that one. Now my sunroof is quiet. It occurs whether someone is in the seat or not.

If you lightly tap around the side airbag cover with your fist, bingo, squeak!

Or if move the seatback, back and forth with no one in it, again squeak. I have no doubt that it is coming from something around the airbag. I know the sunroof does not squeak with the car sitting off, not moving in the garage. It is definitely in the side of the seat.

Also, no accidents or other repairs have ever been done to the car.

Beats me, but I have not gotten agitated enought to take it to the dealer for that issue yet.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:26 PM
ULOOZ

I have heard of the frame itself squeaking...and on my fathers '00TL his seat cover clips were squeaking against the frame. These clips can be secured down to the support wire by removing the seat back cover(you break the clips for the cover getting the off) then slip a tie-wrap around the seat cover internal metal rod , where the metal clips hold, then to the wire frame. Sorry if it's confusing...its really an easy fix. Don't have a camera to send pics. This repair will work if it is from those metal retaining clips. Pull the rear cover off , then replicate the squeak so you can pinpoint where its from. Goodluck.............
Old 03-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I have heard of the frame itself squeaking...and on my fathers '00TL his seat cover clips were squeaking against the frame. These clips can be secured down to the support wire by removing the seat back cover(you break the clips for the cover getting the off) then slip a tie-wrap around the seat cover internal metal rod , where the metal clips hold, then to the wire frame. Sorry if it's confusing...its really an easy fix. Don't have a camera to send pics. This repair will work if it is from those metal retaining clips. Pull the rear cover off , then replicate the squeak so you can pinpoint where its from. Goodluck.............
agreed. there used to be pics around here and a diagram with the fix on this site
Old 03-10-2004, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone-I appreciate it. I will look into it this weekend.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Joseph_99TL
#1.

are you sure it isn't the console armrest?..

mine squeaks so much when its cold. but its a 99TL, its acient. lol