Need opinion on ecofuelsystems

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 01:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Need opinion on ecofuelsystems

Has anyone tried this product before? If you have, what is your opinion?

I was in another forum (Nissan Armada) and thery are having a group buy on this fuel system which supposely to have cleaner burning engine and increase in mpg.

The price is not cheap either. I would like to get your view before I actually dive into this thing.

Here is the link to the web site: www.ecofuelsystems.com

Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I=X - optomos

It might be usefull in the winter time when the RVP is higher, but I doubt it would save you that much in the summer time when the RVP is reduced anyway, especially in warm climates of the south & westcoast.

IDEM estimates the savings of low RVP would be around 0.01-0.03 per gallon and that was a while ago.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks.

What is the science behind this thing? Will anyone care to explain in plain english?
Old 03-11-2006, 03:09 PM
I=X - optomos

What is Reid Vapor Pressure?
Vapor pressure (Reid Vapor Pressure) is the pressure exerted by the vapors released from any material at a given controlled temperature when enclosed in a laboratory vapor tight vessel.

Normal Vapor Pressure for street grade gasolines range from 9.0 to 15.0 psi depending on the air temperature of the environment. The higher the average air temperature of a locale, the lower the Vapor Pressure needs to be. The lower the median temperature of an area, the higher the Vapor Pressure must be to properly atomize the fuel with air for proper engine combustion.

All major ACCUS-FIA member race sanctioning organizations in the U.S.A stipulate that racing gasoline conform the ASTM D-4814-92a Standards which limit Vapor Pressure to 6.5 psi on the low end to 15.0 psi on the high limits.

If a racing grade gasoline’s Vapor Pressure is unusually low (below 5.5 psi) it can cause faltering acceleration during sudden wide open throttle applications. Conversely, if a racing gasoline’s Vapor Pressure is excessively high (above 8.0 psi), it may well result in vapor lock or fuel percolation hindering fuel flow from the tank to the engines induction under-hood temperatures are encountered. The degree of fuel flow from the tank to the engines induction (fuel infection or carburetor) system when situations of high under-hood temperatures are encountered. The degree of fuel percolation or vapor blockage can cause engine performance problems ranging from poor to erratic power out put to engine overheating to full engine stall due to fuel starvation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This page provides information on the Reid Vapor Pressure Requirements for California's gasoline. California's Phase 2 Reformulated Gasoline (CaRFG2) and Phase 3 Reformulated Gasoline (CaRFG3) regulations require refiners to produce gasoline that meets eight specifications to reduce air pollution from the gasoline used in motor vehicles. One of the eight specifications is a standard for Reid Vapor Pressure (RVP) which is designed to reduce evaporative emissions during the summer months when ambient temperatures are their highest. RVP is measured in pounds per square inch (psi). The lower the psi in gasoline, the less evaporative emissions that generally will occur.
In California, the RVP standards were 9.0 psi until the CaRFG1 regulations were implemented in 1992, which lowered the RVP standard to 7.8 psi.
In 1996, with the implementation of the CaRFG2 regulations, the RVP standard was reduced to a flat limit of 7.0 psi.
In 2004, the CaRFG3 regulations are implemented with a RVP flat limit of 6.9 psi when the Predictive Model is used and a cap limit of 7.2 psi.
If you have questions regarding the RVP requirements in California, please contact the California Air Resources Board at (916) 322-6020.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/rvp/rvp.htm

What it’s supposed to do is reduce the RVP (through agitation or spinning of the fuel?) so that it is in the ranges that California has currently required. So in essence it's pretty much becoming useless for modern vehicles unless you use it in an older model or vintage vehicle.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wooww !!! This is deep. !!!

Thanks for the info. I have to read it twice to understand the RVP.

So, since I live in California and the RVP limit if 6.9 psi, will this device drop the psi level any lower? If it does, I believe it worth the investment.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I=X - optomos

You will have to ask the manufacture how low the unit can bring the psi. Im thinking the law of diminishing return would apply here, but im not to sure. How much is this unit anyway?

Lets do the math: 20gx4=80gx12m=960. Assuming you save 0.02 per gallon @ 960 gallons per year=a savings of $19.20 per year.

Also at the bottom of the web site it says: "*NOTE - Your actual savings may vary depending on the kind of driving you do, how you drive and condition of your car."