Need Help with my TL

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with my TL

Im 19 and my mom bought me a 2000 Acura TL when i turned 16. I never had problems with the car at all and just about a month or two ago the car died on me and i needed it towed and I already knew about the transmission recall with the car. My mechanic confirmed it was the transmission and that it would be 2500 for a new one.
I alreadly looked into the warrenty however my car isnt covered for the warrenty and that they just put one in shortly before i bought the car. Its all stock besides a cold air intake and the engine has 160,000 miles on it.
I still owe quite a bit of money for it since its financed so i cant just get a new car since I really dont have the money for it and im wondering what I should do about the transmission. Should I have it rebuilt? buy a new one, just wondering some of my options. I believe I still owe around 6,000 on it just wondering what are some options for getting my car running again.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
what do you mean you know about the recall??- that was to install an external oil jet kit on the top of the trans- not any type of extended warranty
Did your replacement trans not have the recall done on it? your acura account shows that as open?

You cant get fully NEW trans- yours can be rebuilt, or a different one from acura made of used parts and new parts can be purchased-

trans was replaced under warranty 3 years ago?
Acura should be willing to work with you on a partial pay- maybe 2500 to match a rebuilder shop and hook you up again, or maybe 500-1000 your part.

The replacement one you pay for thru acura also gets 3/36 warranty
Read the last few pages of the Tranny Failure thread for `Goodwill Warranty` examples and how to get it, honesty- being nice-starving student with family history of acura ownbership...
speaking in person with the service MANAGER can get you a lot of help from Corp headquarters
Especially on a prior trans replacement that failed--maybe before mid 2005?
thats when a change was made and better trans after that- so they may be extra helpful despite the cars total miles-It never hurts to ask thats for sure- they dont offer it for nothing- you have to ask for help when a situation arises

There are no band-aids to keep it shifting- only trans replacement and dont trust just anybody to be able to rebuild it right the first time

Talk to friends- family- the bank- about a loan and thats the price of owning any car
Good luck!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
never heard of a car dieing on someone bc of the trans? u still driving it? how did it shift before it died? might be a bad battery or alt. or starter?