Need help with 2003 Remote

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with 2003 Remote

First of all, I am proud to have joined the TL-S owners club a week ago . I've been planning the purchase for a while, and I am very happy with it. Granted, not everything's perfect, and I was seriously considering the G35, but at the end the TL-S was just a much better deal overall (36 months/12,000 miles lease, nothing down, tax rolled in, $29450 cap cost with mud guards, $438/month). Very, very happy with my purchase. After a week of driving I have found the handling to be better than I expected (and my standards are pretty high, my last car was an M3).

Here's a question. The remote on the 2003 TL-S works like this: the first time you press the unlock button, it opens up the driver door. The second time you press it, it opens all doors. You don't do anything for 30 seconds and it locks all doors. Drives me nuts. I'd prefer that when I push the unlock button, all four doors are unlocked, and that they stay unlocked. Is there any way to do that?

The second minor annoyance is that the first time you push the locki button, it locks the doors and activates the alarm (judging by the alarm light next to the lock knob on the driver door). I have to push the button again to hear it chime. I'd prefer that it chimes after the first button push. I am used to locking the doors as I am walking away from the car and the sound confirms the lock for me. Now I find myself pushing the button twice every time. Any way to change that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2002, 03:52 PM
JD7
Rizzie's the color!

i do agree with you on the chime thing, i always press it twice, i think has to with acura thinking more people dislike the chime than those who like it, so they made it that way

and with the unlock i think it might be a security thing so that if you are being followed to you car by someone only your door can be opened or if someone is waiting to get in your car

I have no idea on how to change any of that, just my opinion.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:28 PM
Advanced

Thanks...

Thanks JD.... But I can't believe I am the only one asking for this. Come on people, contribute...
Old 07-29-2002, 10:37 PM
Pro

Re: Need help with 2003 Remote

Originally posted by Deniska

Here's a question. The remote on the 2003 TL-S works like this: the first time you press the unlock button, it opens up the driver door. The second time you press it, it opens all doors. You don't do anything for 30 seconds and it locks all doors. Drives me nuts. I'd prefer that when I push the unlock button, all four doors are unlocked, and that they stay unlocked. Is there any way to do that?
This is purposely designed so that if you accidently unlock the car, it will relock itself. I find this a rather nifty feature. I guess you could unlock the car with the remote, open a door and then close the door. That way, the car will not autolock.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:30 PM
Pro

i think everyone presses lock twice...........i press mine like 100 times just in case hehe
Old 07-30-2002, 02:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Thanks...

Thanks JD.... But I can't believe I am the only one asking for this. Come on people, contribute...
Hey Deniska,
Sorry 'bout the late post... but a lot of us have aftermarket alarms installed and don't use the stock keyfobs anymore.

Good luck with your "enhancements!"

V.
Old 08-01-2002, 05:02 PM
Banned

Re: Need help with 2003 Remote

The reason it does this is because you (possibly unknowingly) put the car into autolock mode. When set, after the last door is closed (or if none are ever opened), the doors will autolock. They will not autolock if the key is in the ignition. To get the car to stop doing this, with the car LOCKED, use the key in the driver's door and unlock the doors (do NOT use the remote). This disables the autolock. To test, start the car and then stop it. Get out and don't lock the doors. They should NOT lock after 30 seconds.

The second minor annoyance is that the first time you push the locki button, it locks the doors and activates the alarm (judging by the alarm light next to the lock knob on the driver door). I have to push the button again to hear it chime. I'd prefer that it chimes after the first button push. I am used to locking the doors as I am walking away from the car and the sound confirms the lock for me. Now I find myself pushing the button twice every time. Any way to change that?

This is probably one of the most misunderstood features of our cars. The "chirp" that you hear when you press the lock button the second time is *not* to tell you the car is armed. It is putting the car into autolock mode. So what you don't want it to do in the paragraph above, it will keep doing if you press the lock button twice when locking the car. This is how you got the car into autolock mode in the first place. And as for the second part of the question, there is no easy way to make the chirp occur with the first press of the lock button on the remote. Otherwise there would be no way to distinguish the car going into autolock mode.