Need a *good* bodyshop in MD (Mont. County)? Found one!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 12:08 PM
WhizzBomb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Need a *good* bodyshop in MD (Mont. County)? Found one!

*** Mods: This may not be the best place for this post. I humbly ask that you move it to the most appropriate place. Thanks!***

Without getting into numbers (for my sake at least, let me say that I had work done at WAY too many body shops. I _think_ I've finally found one that I'm comfortable reccomending.

First - one caveat. This was work done as part of an insurance claim and I honestly don'y know if that impacted the quality of their work.

As much as it physically pains me to say it, it's the Ourisman's Rockmont Cevrolet body shop. It's one of State Farms approved shops (meaning that I can take they car there and the bodyshop can't start work before an adjuster comes out and takes a look.

I'll tell you that I know jack shit about body work... but here's the thing. State Farm sent out a "Claim Service Auditor" to verify that a) they performed the work they billed State Farm for and b) the quality of the work that was done.
A key point to know is that in the multitude of times my car has been in body shops (that Sate Farm was paying for) this is the first time I had an auditor come out. He said they pick them at random... some thing like 1%.

The work that's been done previously by other shops has always been acceptable to the casual viewer, but there were things that I, as the anal retentive owner, notice. Since none of them were bad enough to have to be redone, it irks me.

The total bill came out to about $3k. It was 100% body work (no mechanical problems). They had it for 6 days, and one of those was only because they were waiting for delivery of the chrome Acura emblem on the grill.

Final Verdict from the Auditor: He was actively impressed. The hood and front bumper had to be replaced. He said that the SSM are hard to color match (not nearly as hard as the WDP) but they repainted both from side skirts and about 2/3s of both front doors. Under the hood they actually added a piece that apparent didn't come with the car(?). It's plastic a cover (shield?) that goes across the width of the front of the engine bay, held down by those pain in ass clips. The auditor said there paint matching was some of the best he'd seen, they'd done everything they said they did and did it well.

Unfortunately I can't speak to price. I assume they have lower labor and part rate for the insurance companies. The best I can tell you is that labor was $937 (with almost an even split between the people who worked on the paint and the guys who did the actual body repair), $1605 in parts, $270 for "G.O.G" (gas, oil and grease?) with the rest being tax.

I hope this helps someone out there. I'm sure as shit happy to have finally found a place that does good work!

Thanks,

Joe