Navigation System in midsize town

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2001, 12:36 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by MizzouFan:
I've decided to buy an '02 TL Type-S over the BMW 325i. Now, I'm struggling with whether or not to get the navigation system. I live in Lexington, KY, and have been told that the navi isn't that great here. Apparently, it has the major streets but little else. I've read back in the post archieve, but little has been said about midsize cities.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. It's a great addition to the car, and would be great when traveling. In addition, if I moved to a major city I'd be kicking myself for not getting it.

2. Rumors are that a major upgrade will happen this fall. Does anyone know details about this?

My decision to go with the TL over the 325i has saved me some bucks. Should I put a spend some of this on the navi, or skip it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
There's one way to find out... do a test "sit" at your dealership. Turn on the Navi and use the joystick to pan around town, and decide for yourself if the coverage is sufficient.
Old 06-07-2001, 12:41 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No no no. GO to the dealer, ask to see one of the navigation manuals. The cities listed there with an asterisk are the ones that aren't detailed.

------------------
2002 3.2 TL Type S with Navigation
Exterior: Aegean Blue Pearl
At 3% over invoice, who can complain?
Old 06-07-2001, 12:41 PM
Racer

It's not worth the $2000.
In fact, it's not even worth $200...
BUT IT'S A DAMN COOL TOY!!!!
I love it
Old 06-07-2001, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

The annual DVD update due out this Fall is supposed to contain every mapped street in the U.S. The points-of-interest database is also supposed to be greatly expanded. This was posted on the MDX forum by someone in the business who spoke to the company that produces the DVD for Acura. TLC also supposedly confirmed this.
Old 06-07-2001, 06:45 PM
Advanced

My own guess, based on little to no hard information:

Built-in nav systems today are like carphones in the mid-80s. Back then, if you wanted a mobile phone, you had to mount it in your car. Soon, people realized it would be way more useful if you could take it with you when you get out of the car. You know what's happened to cell phones since then.

I'd guess that in 3-5 years, there will be excellent hand-held nav systems available. (Go check out www.vindigo.com if you have a Palm Pilot). Whatever they have then will be better, cheaper, and more useful that the TL nav system.

So, if you are going to lease it for a couple of years, consider the nav (even then, you have to decide if it's worth 2K). But if, like me, you plan to drive your TL-S for 200K miles and 15 years, then save your money.

That being said, it does look like fun to play with.

------------------
2002 Acura TL Type-S Dark Emerald Pearl
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE V6
1994 Ford Explorer 4x4
Old 06-07-2001, 08:53 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 497 Likes on 230 Posts
I'd guess that in 3-5 years, there will be excellent hand-held nav systems available

The built in, large screen, color NAV system in the TL is LIGHT YEARS better than any current or future hand held device could be. You are driving a car. Try "glancing" at the screen on a palm pilot while driving. FORGET IT. Try reaching over and scrolling the map while you are stopped at a light on a palm pilot. FORGET IT. Try recalculating your trip route from behind the wheel with a palm pilot. FORGET IT!

A in-dash unit will always be prefered over the hand held. If it was not, we would all be using walkmen in our cars for tunes!

:-jon

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Interior Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
StreetEffectz Audio Upgrade (Coming Soon)
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 06-07-2001, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by bbjones:
Built-in nav systems today are like carphones in the mid-80s. Back then, if you wanted a mobile phone, you had to mount it in your car. Soon, people realized it would be way more useful if you could take it with you when you get out of the car. You know what's happened to cell phones since then.

I'd guess that in 3-5 years, there will be excellent hand-held nav systems available. (Go check out www.vindigo.com if you have a Palm Pilot). Whatever they have then will be better, cheaper, and more useful that the TL nav system.
Handheld GPS's have been available for a long time now, but handhelds still have a hard time matching the level of integration of preinstalled navigators in cars.

The requirements for automotive and walking/hiking use are different and sometimes conflicting. Although a unit can be made to have "modes" when it's plugged into the car, it's difficult (and maybe expensive) to do.

Car GPS's need to have an extensive routing and street mapping capability, a big screen, and an undistracting user interface. GPS's for walking don't need huge databases. Instead, they need to be small and use little power.

Car-mounted GPS's can also use integrated sensors to provide much more precise heading and ground speed information, so they can guide you even when you can't receive GPS signals. Hand-held GPS's are useless indoors and in heavily wooded areas.

Anyway, although the two GPS worlds may one day meet, I think that day is still far in the future. Even when you <em>can</em> make GPS's that work both in the car and in your palm, would you want to buy it? I would still have preinstalled car radio even though I have a Sony Discman in my coat pocket. Integration with the car in itself adds value.
Old 06-07-2001, 11:59 PM

Post Navigation System in midsize town

I've decided to buy an '02 TL Type-S over the BMW 325i. Now, I'm struggling with whether or not to get the navigation system. I live in Lexington, KY, and have been told that the navi isn't that great here. Apparently, it has the major streets but little else. I've read back in the post archieve, but little has been said about midsize cities.

My thoughts are as follows:

1. It's a great addition to the car, and would be great when traveling. In addition, if I moved to a major city I'd be kicking myself for not getting it.

2. Rumors are that a major upgrade will happen this fall. Does anyone know details about this?

My decision to go with the TL over the 325i has saved me some bucks. Should I put a spend some of this on the navi, or skip it? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 06-08-2001, 07:40 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oblio98 is right on. The nav. system on the acura is so far out front of any competition. I live in waco and it is nice when I go to the DFW area, or Austin or Houston, to have this option. As mentioned, in other cities, it lists just the major streets. I would welcome a new upgrade that would list all the streets on all the cities in the U.S. The nav. system and the Hid lights were two of the main reasons for purchasing my new TL- type s. You sure can't add this option later and I will guarantee you it is options like this that will help you resell the car. I would guess you would get back at least $1500 more on resale. I just sold a ComaroZ-28 with 112K miles and I guarantee you it was the $3,000 sound system that brought me at least $2000 more than the car was worth. I only wish the Bose system didn't sound sooo bad.