Navigation question from newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navigation question from newbie

First I would like to say great board!!! I just purchased a 03 TL-S w/nav and I was wondering if I could get a more detailed DVD. This weekend I was out in a rural area which the nav didn't really cover the side roads, only the highways. Does anyone make a DVD that will work in our systems that would cover more out lying areas. The current DVD covers all of the US, but most of my travels would be the West coast so I would like a more detailed coverage in a smaller area.

jimj
Old 06-19-2002, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Re: Navigation question from newbie

Originally posted by jimj
First I would like to say great board!!! I just purchased a 03 TL-S w/nav and I was wondering if I could get a more detailed DVD. This weekend I was out in a rural area which the nav didn't really cover the side roads, only the highways. Does anyone make a DVD that will work in our systems that would cover more out lying areas. The current DVD covers all of the US, but most of my travels would be the West coast so I would like a more detailed coverage in a smaller area.

jimj
I think there is a new Navi DVD disk coming out the end of summer. My dealer claims that it should have all (probably not) of the U.S. mapped with this one and some of Canada.
Old 06-19-2002, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, I just wonder how improved the next DVD will be. With a GPS I can get all the side roads and even fire trails so I hope they make some improvements on the remote areas, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:37 AM
Banned

Originally posted by jimj
Thanks for the reply, I just wonder how improved the next DVD will be. With a GPS I can get all the side roads and even fire trails so I hope they make some improvements on the remote areas, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
The updates come out about once a year and cost around $150. The current version is 2.05. If you eject your disc in the trunk, look on the bottom of the disc label and you'll see the version number. If you visit this link from the Acura web site, click on the satellite icon on the right-hand side and it will bring up a window that will let you (a) order an updated DVD on-line or (b) check the areas near where you live to see how good the coverage is. Areas highlighted in red are new for the 2.05 disc.

The rule of thumb now is *most* major metropolitan cities are completely mapped and a twenty-mile radius from those cities is also mapped fully. I emphasize "most" because there are still some major cities (like Albany, NY--the frikken state capital) that still aren't fully mapped. Those areas not fully mapped have major roads mapped so you can get from one fully-mapped place to the next. The twenty-mile radius is a hard line too. I live just at the twenty mile range from a major city and my town is divided perfectly in half. The southern half is mapped fully, and the northern half is just major streets. You can clearly see the cut-off point. Hopefully the next upgrade will be 3.0 and will have more areas.

I doubt you'll ever see fire roads on the DVD. Usually just public ways and places the public normally travels (shopping malls, etc). The MDX navi has a "breadcrumb" mode where it will leave a trail on the screen of where you've been, so when you're offroading you can find your way back onto a mapped area. Although the breadcrumb software is on our DVDs (the reason for the 2.03 to 2.04 upgrade), our hardware will not make use of it.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Intermediate

Thanks pianoman, good info. I really like the nav system and I'm very glad I have it, comes in very handy at times. To bad I couldn't download the local GPS maps into the DVD.