navi screen

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2001, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
navi screen

on our touch screen navi systems i noticed sometimes that you have to touch the screen 2 or more times to get it to register that you touch that button. doesn't happen all the time but every once in a while. anyone else having this happen to them?
Old 10-27-2001, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

I've noticed that too. I think it has to do with the processing power behind the system. I don't think the processor is as sophisticated as those in the ATM's!! My opinion anyway!!
Old 10-27-2001, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Alpine's Navi has always had a user interface feedback problem. The problem is often not that the Navi did not register your touch, but rather that it doesn't "beep" back soon enough.

Here's the problem, instead of doing:
  • Register user touch
  • Beep
  • Process user request
they do:
  • Register user touch
  • Process user request
  • Beep
So if you're asking the Navi to do something time-consuming (like looking up business or street names), you don't get the beep until the request is complete.

It's a classic User Interface design mistake. I would never have done it that way, but there ya have it!
Old 10-27-2001, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Also of note is that on the Acura navi touch screen, the touch areas are actually laid out in a grid-like pattern. IOW--there are only certain points/areas on the screen that actually register when touched. You can see for yourself--just access the hidden config menu, then select the option that displays the touch test screen pattern (I forget the exact name but you should be able to find it). You'll see rows of small squares--these are the actual areas that when touched will send a signal.

Tony
Old 10-27-2001, 08:58 PM
Race Director

Processing power? Perhaps, try this and tell me what you think.

Pretend that you are trying to find a location by name. Use the keyboard and keep typing letters, the system will unhighlight invalid letters as you continue typing. Doesn't it hesitate a bit as it looks up all possible choices and eliminates some letters? Keep typing, when you get down to no more or very few letter options, do this: press and hold an invalid letter, then run your finger left and right and left and right, back and forth quickly while continuing to hold down. It's an infra-red touch screen so you don't need to press down, just touch "over". You get the reject beepbeep at first; now quickly. Look how fast it is now...
Old 10-28-2001, 04:20 AM
Racer

Originally posted by tdoh
Also of note is that on the Acura navi touch screen, the touch areas are actually laid out in a grid-like pattern. IOW--there are only certain points/areas on the screen that actually register when touched. You can see for yourself--just access the hidden config menu, then select the option that displays the touch test screen pattern (I forget the exact name but you should be able to find it). You'll see rows of small squares--these are the actual areas that when touched will send a signal.

Tony
yup... try to slide your finger a little over the buttons u wanna press. that usually works for me
Old 10-28-2001, 08:35 AM
7th Gear

Though I have yet to receive my TL-S with Navi (picking it up Monday! - can't wait!!!), when I was in college, I was a waiter in a restaurant where we had touch screens.

Tony is right; we learned to slide our fingers over the choices rather than "push" the screen. It's almost like flicking your finger at it. I'm sure that the Navi screen is very similar. After some practice, were able to put in dinner orders for tables of eight in seconds, while some of the new people would take minutes "pushing" away for a drink order.

J