NAVI Option too much Big Brother

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NAVI Option too much Big Brother

At face value the NAVI feature seems sweet, but I'm concerned about someone being able to track my location or more specifically my speed. What would prevent, some day in the future, a cop sitting behind a computer in a office from mailing me a speeding ticket or sending a command to "stop" my engine if I have too many unpaid parking tickets? I've heard some rental car companies are already doing this.

I'm old school. I like technology that enhances the car's performance but not connectivity to the world.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:41 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

i really doubt it

@cUr@-TL
Old 02-10-2003, 12:19 AM
myv
Cruisin'

I'm pretty sure the GPS assisted navi system is just a radio frequency RECIEVER, not a TRANSMITTER, so triangulation such as seen on "Enemy of The State" would not be possible.

The only thing big brother about the Navi system is if someone physically looks at your addresses in the navi's memory (route lookup history. It keeps record of what addresses you have entered as destinations).

Now if you want to talk big brother...own a cell phone? A relative who knows tells me you can be tracked and triangulated (found) while using any cell phone that is turned on and transmitting. And once your digital signature is known your general whereabouts can be monitored and automatic flags can be raised when calling out. Illegal as hell, but technologically achievable.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:31 AM
myv
Cruisin'

Oh, and the rental and trucking companies use lowjack technology where the radio transmits signals to be detected by satellite (and others have the Northstar, Navstar system, whatever Cadillac calls it... it combines cell phone and lowjack technologies).

Bottom line is our navi. systems in the TL do not transmit, so no worries there. But if you have a dirty radar detector, that CAN be detected by police with detector detectors (used in states where detectors are illegal).

IMHO the best protection against tickets is to follow a rabbit at least a quarter mile back and purchase and learn how to read a good radar detector (I swear by the Valentine One after getting rid of the latest passport.)
Old 02-10-2003, 01:35 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are too paranoid. The GPS system on the car is only a reciever. If you do not outfit your car with any other electronics it can't be tracked...if you wife decides to by a tracer...she could install it on ur car and it will transmit your data.

If you start messing with the Military...they probably have top secret tech. to track recieveing signals..heheh
Old 02-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Instructor

if you are that paranoid about being pulled over, why not just NOT SPEED?!!?

and when you "hear" about something, like rental car companies doing this...check your facts before taking them as facts.

the guy who sped in a rental car and was fined by them won in court...the rental car company has no right to enforce traffic laws, even though it was written in the contract he signed that if he sped he could be fined by the rental car company.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Maybe the NAVI doesn't transmit, but if you have an '03 w/NAVI your On*Star sure does! And yes they can figure out where your car is with On*Star.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:09 PM
Banned

Yeah my 2003 has OnStar and they can send a signal to unlock the doors or send EMS if the airbags deploy... nice but if the government in SC could figure out a way to get more ticket money without spending for the troopers by using OnStar, I'm in trouble.

And for the folks who say don't speed, 5 mph over in multiple speed traps is speeding in this state... you can't go slow enough.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:15 AM
Instructor

Do you get first year OnStar for free? I don't see why you need to worry about being tracked if you are not a criminal.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:03 AM
Instructor

5mph over the speed limit in ANY state is speeding...that's why they call it a "speed limit".

if they intended for you to go 60mph in a 55mph zone, then they would have made the speed limit 60mph.

it's not likely that you'd get pulled over if you went 60mph in a 55mph zone, but if you are still that scared of being pulled over, GO 55MPH!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Firebird_EOU
Do you get first year OnStar for free? I don't see why you need to worry about being tracked if you are not a criminal.
The day will come when everyone will be tracked by the government, criminal or not...
Old 02-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by johnnyb_s

The day will come when everyone will be tracked by the government, criminal or not...
but of the two, which one will complain the loudest?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hee, hee! Good topic! Made me laugh. Ok folks, if he changes his topic from "Navi option too much Big Brother" to "OnStar option too much Big Brother," you'd agree that he has a point, right?

V.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by vperkins2
Hee, hee! Good topic! Made me laugh. Ok folks, if he changes his topic from "Navi option too much Big Brother" to "OnStar option too much Big Brother," you'd agree that he has a point, right?

V.
Yes.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dean078
5mph over the speed limit in ANY state is speeding...that's why they call it a "speed limit".

if they intended for you to go 60mph in a 55mph zone, then they would have made the speed limit 60mph.

it's not likely that you'd get pulled over if you went 60mph in a 55mph zone, but if you are still that scared of being pulled over, GO 55MPH!
How do you know you are going 5 mph over if there are 4 different speed zones within a 1 mile stretch THAT ARE NOT POSTED on US 29. The rednecks steal them every Friday night and the town doesn't have the funds to replace them. In this speed trap, you literally have to apply your breaks from the start of one zone to another... your transmission will not slow you down enough.

And if you don't believe they will pull you over, clock 5mph over on US 29 in the Upstate and get you $272 ticket
Old 02-12-2003, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Firebird_EOU
Because this is American and not the Soviet Union... "papers please." Do you mind if the goverment tracks your whereabouts? How about things you purchase and all banking activity? How about your doctor visits? How about your prayers in church? How about your personal thoughts with your spouse?

PLEASE... it's people like you who are so willing to give up the freedoms of our nation that makes me sad for our soldiers in the Middle East. In your world, Osama has won... he changed our values of this great nation.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 2ONPAR5

Because this is American and not the Soviet Union... "papers please." Do you mind if the goverment tracks your whereabouts? How about things you purchase and all banking activity? How about your doctor visits? How about your prayers in church? How about your personal thoughts with your spouse?

PLEASE... it's people like you who are so willing to give up the freedoms of our nation that makes me sad for our soldiers in the Middle East. In your world, Osama has won... he changed our values of this great nation.
Well put. Don't forget about random vehicle searches and airport delays, etc...