Navi Hard Drive to Compact Flash.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Tom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi Hard Drive to Compact Flash.

Hi everybody,
I'm new to the member here...
I have a 99TL with Navi; once a while I have the Hard disk error message (more likely when the weather's hot)
So, I'm processing to duplicate my existing Navi Hard Drive to the 1GB Compact Flash memory using the PC laptop and PCMCIA Adapter. I also did format the Compact Flash with FAT16 (like the Navi HD format) prior to copy all the files into it.
After plugged the Compact Flash into the Acura driver box and turned the ignition on, the Acura logo appeared and then it stays like that forever until ... I turn the key off.
What did I do wrong or missing? It seems to me that the CF didn't boot up (the activate LED light didn't flash either)
The Acura dealer had the same problem and gave up; suggested me to buy another driver box (which is $1400 !!!!!). It can't be bad; It's still working with the existing Hard Drive.
I need help...
Thanks,
Tommy.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Tommy99TL
I need help...
Not really, you just need to do a Search. Click ---> Here
Old 06-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tommy99TL
Hi everybody,
I'm new to the member here...
I have a 99TL with Navi; once a while I have the Hard disk error message (more likely when the weather's hot)
So, I'm processing to duplicate my existing Navi Hard Drive to the 1GB Compact Flash memory using the PC laptop and PCMCIA Adapter. I also did format the Compact Flash with FAT16 (like the Navi HD format) prior to copy all the files into it.
After plugged the Compact Flash into the Acura driver box and turned the ignition on, the Acura logo appeared and then it stays like that forever until ... I turn the key off.
What did I do wrong or missing? It seems to me that the CF didn't boot up (the activate LED light didn't flash either)
The Acura dealer had the same problem and gave up; suggested me to buy another driver box (which is $1400 !!!!!). It can't be bad; It's still working with the existing Hard Drive.
I need help...
Thanks,
Tommy.
I wonder if it has something to do with the 1GB size. I also have a PCMCIA CF adapter but mine is only 512MB CF. I don't think you need to format the CF. All you need to do is copy the files from the HDD to the CF. Another possible reason is the HDD drive is damaged and the files are corrupted. Try your nearest Acura Dealer to get the software installed to your CF. I got mine for free (Acura of Glendale).
Old 06-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Tom

progz,
Thanks for your advice. I did give my 1GB CF to the Acura dealer to download Navi files (yes it's free), They did that 3 times at dealer plus 1 time with his PC at home but it turned out same result. He's a nice guy but couldn't do much after all.
For the time being, I'll go and get the CF 512MB and will give a try. Wish me a luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
you will do alot better with the CF drive...when I had the HD system in, I used a CF drive for a while with 0 problems...while the stock hard disk messed up all the time.

I would recommend getting the Acura DVD system because it is a direct plug and play upgrade with the original hard drive system and works much better, is updated and covers the whole US.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Safety Car

how much did you get your dvd drive for? if you dont mind me asking..
Old 06-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Tom

I also thinking about DVD Navi... Did anybody know a good webside with a reasonable price to buy it?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by wilp99
how much did you get your dvd drive for? if you dont mind me asking..
I paid like $275 or something off ebay - that is by far the best place to check because they are some rediculous price at the dealership
Old 06-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

My friend had the same problem, busted hard drive based card...He went on ebay to get those newer flash memory based on for ~$70-80. Not too bad...it would've been cheaper to do it your way if it worked.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Boomer SOONER

ya the CF cards work very well - but the DVD system is much better overall because it has the whole US, much more detail (even has farm roads), and is still being updated while the HD system isnot.
Old 06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
8th Gear

lucked out and got a DVD box and new (used) screen off of Ebay. A week after kids got into my car and smashed the navi screen.

Together, I paid $480..no disc though
Old 06-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nstutsman
lucked out and got a DVD box and new (used) screen off of Ebay. A week after kids got into my car and smashed the navi screen.

Together, I paid $480..no disc though
wow..how did it get smashed?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:07 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by progz
wow..how did it get smashed?

My girlfriend, her son and I got back from the grocery store. Hands full of groceries, I thought I hit the fob, must not have, or one of the doors wasn't closed all the way.

Wake up the next morning go out to my car, first thing I notice is the center console was left open, I look, all the doors unlocked, Take a look around, my cell charger is gone, a pack of cigarettes, some spree candy, work goggles, and the Acura Owner's Binder from the glove box are all gone. Wasn't until I started the car I noticed the LCD screen underneath the touch screen was shattered. They must of got pissed there wasn't more to take, or just jealous that I work my ass off to drive a nice car, or maybe they thought they touched it so they wanted to get rid of fingerprints.

Whatever way, I got the new screen in, works weel, not in as good condition as the original, but better than having to go through insurance and have to pay higher insurance rates.

After I get the disc and make sure everything works with the DVD navi, I'm sure I'll be getting rid of the hard drive boc and hard drive.