Navi asked me for code?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 02:04 PM
bluLEGEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navi asked me for code?

I'm the one who had navi problems before where it kept restarting randomly. The dealer replaced the trunk unit and all was well...

I don't think this is related but last night when I started my car the navigation asked for the code. I was like WTH? So I entered the code and noticed it forgot all my previous destinations, so I was like sh!t. But then I looked at my personal addresses and they were still there, so all was not lost.

Anyone experience similar problems? If this happens again, I might be inclined to ask Acura to check it out.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:22 PM
On the way!

This sounds like what happens when you disconnect the battery for a while. Were you doing work on your car where you had to disconnect the battery. Did you let the battery go dead (i.e. by leaving some lights on)?
Old 01-12-2002, 04:09 PM
bluLEGEND

Nope, I did nothing to the car. I just stopped it on my friend's driveway for a couple hours. It was about 55 F outside, but I'm sure it was nothing to do with it. The radio did not ask me for the code either.

There were some weird circumstances though. When I was walking up to my friend's front door, I heard the garage door open, but he said no one opened it. I thought he did it but he said he didn't. Maybe some kind of EM interference can through that opened his garage and made my navi ask for the code (longshot, kind of X-File-ish, I know). But only one of his 2 garage doors opened, the one I parked in front.

Weird...
Old 01-12-2002, 07:39 PM
On the way!

That's very strange about the garage door. Did you have that door's opener programmed into your universal remote? If not, I don't see how it could have opened (even taking the x-files thing into account).

Good point about the radio. I realized that as well after I posted. The radio seems to need a code even with minor "power outages", while the navi needs quite a bit more time without power before it asks for a code.

I just refered back to your original post... Maybe you should check to see that they plugged everything in tightly after they replaced the trunk unit. It still sounds like a power outage to that unit to me.
Old 01-12-2002, 07:54 PM
On the way!

Hmmm... The frequent restarting of your original system and your recent problem might point to the same thing... Maybe a problem with a wiring harness.

Not to alarm you, but I had a former co-worker who bought a late model Convertible Camaro Z28. She experienced intermittant electrical problems. In the end they had to send her car back to the factory (I'm not exaggerating) to replace one of the main wiring harnesses. Apparently the dealer was not equipped to do this work.

Hopefully your problem is not so big...
Old 01-14-2002, 04:22 AM
bluLEGEND

Well, so far, it hasn't done it again. They had tried to fiddle with the harnesses before they replaced the trunk unit the first time. So I don't know how it could be the harnesses. The restarting problem when I first got the car happened with some sort of pattern, though not completely predictable. It would usually restart when a route was almost completely calculated.

I think this recent problem of asking for the code is unrelated (crossing fingers).
Old 01-14-2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Navi asked me for code?

Originally posted by blulegend
I'm the one who had navi problems before where it kept restarting randomly. The dealer replaced the trunk unit and all was well...

I don't think this is related but last night when I started my car the navigation asked for the code. I was like WTH? So I entered the code and noticed it forgot all my previous destinations, so I was like sh!t. But then I looked at my personal addresses and they were still there, so all was not lost.

Anyone experience similar problems? If this happens again, I might be inclined to ask Acura to check it out.
It happened to me only once about six or seven months ago. I got in my car and it asked me for the code, everything else was fine.

The day before my wife and I drove into work together so I left my car at home. Our cleaning people came that day and they come in through the garage. My first thought was that they took the Valet key that's hanging in my house and played with it (i.e. tried getting into my personal addresses), but I don't think that would have caused it to ask for the NAVI code.

Anyway, once I put the code in, all was fine and it never happened again.