Nav sometimes doesn't boot :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 04:57 PM
Having Fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Nav sometimes doesn't boot :(

So this has happened twice now. I turn the car on after the car has been sitting for a few hours (like a day of work, or a night of sleep), and the nav screen never turns on. It stays blacked out, hitting any of the buttons doesn't make any of it's 'click' sounds. It's like it never booted, WTF!!

Called dealership and they said that they had seen that before and that a possibility was that the GPS 'lost' me and after awhile it would just turn on.

I actually laughed at the guy over the phone, I felt kinda bad, it just came out like a natural reaction.

I drove for about an hour and half last night and it never 'came on'.

To fix I have to pop the dvd out of the truck and re-insert. Than it boots up with the pretty picture of the globe and i'm on my way.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Could the excessive cold weather be a factor? I'm dreading the dealer having to replace it because I just know squeeks will come from them ripping the dash up

I just can't win for christ sake!

-copland007
Old 02-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Nav sometimes doesn't boot :(

Originally posted by copland007
So this has happened twice now. I turn the car on after the car has been sitting for a few hours (like a day of work, or a night of sleep), and the nav screen never turns on. It stays blacked out, hitting any of the buttons doesn't make any of it's 'click' sounds. It's like it never booted, WTF!!

Called dealership and they said that they had seen that before and that a possibility was that the GPS 'lost' me and after awhile it would just turn on.

I actually laughed at the guy over the phone, I felt kinda bad, it just came out like a natural reaction.

I drove for about an hour and half last night and it never 'came on'.

To fix I have to pop the dvd out of the truck and re-insert. Than it boots up with the pretty picture of the globe and i'm on my way.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Could the excessive cold weather be a factor? I'm dreading the dealer having to replace it because I just know squeeks will come from them ripping the dash up

I just can't win for christ sake!

-copland007
Don't know the specific cause, but I'm speaking to your concern about them ripping apart your dash. The guts of the Navi is in the trunk. I believe that the only thing in the dash is the actual screen. This explains why '99 users have upgraded their Navs by simply swapping the HD unit in the trunk with the DVD unit.

Since popping out the DVD seems to reboot the system, my guess is that the problem lies in the actual unit in the trunk.

I have an '01 and I've never had that happen to me.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2003, 05:35 PM
On the way!

Mine has refused to start up as well. It doesn't happen often, but when it does I just shut the car off completely for a few seconds and then restart it.

That always seems to get it going again.
Old 02-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Pro

happened to me once in a while too. I think it might be the freaking cold temperature
Old 02-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Banned

Matt,

I'll second what GoHawks63 said about ripping up the dash. All the brains are located in the DVD player in the trunk. Unless your screen craps out they just swap out the box in the trunk. I've only had it happen once where the unit wouldn't boot (coincidentally it was a cold day). I drove about 5 minutes, pulled the car over and shut it off. Waited about 30 seconds and started back up and it booted fine. If you get a third 'no boot' in about a week's time, I'd get it replaced.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:20 AM
Burning Brakes

happened to me too. not often. dealer saw it, couldnt figure it out but said if it became a problem, he would look into it. thats all i got.