My warranty item list...a long one!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2002, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My warranty item list...a long one!

For those of you who may be even remotely interested, here's what I had the dealer look at yesterday when I brought my car in for it's 30K service:

--paint peeling off of right muffler
--center console lid loose
--VSA light bleedthrough on gauge cluster
--piece of plastic fiber/strand visible in gauge face
--dash near defrost vents warping
--driver side inner door panel loose
--car does not beep 3x after opening door upon disarm (see earlier thread regarding this issue)
--door moulding tape bubbling

Are most of these issues ticky-tacky? Perhaps, I don't care since the dealer will take care of all of them except for the 3 beeps (he says he checked a few other cars and none of them beep 3x either) under warranty.

Anyone else had a laundry list as long as mine that you brought to the dealer's attention at the same time?
Old 12-24-2002, 03:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that a pretty long list. How long you have to wait?
What year is ur car?
mine doesnt beep 3x either.
Old 12-25-2002, 09:50 AM
Instructor

The beeping when you unlock and then open the door may be the feature that moves your seat to the memory position that matches the key fob you are using. This feature can be turned on and off. Read the back of the key fob for directions. Hope this it what you were missing. (mine beeps twice; but it is the beep from the memory inside the car and not the beep from outside the car like when you lock it twice).
Old 12-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: My warranty item list...a long one!

Originally posted by tdoh
For those of you who may be even remotely interested, here's what I had the dealer look at yesterday when I brought my car in for it's 30K service:

--paint peeling off of right muffler
--center console lid loose
--VSA light bleedthrough on gauge cluster
--piece of plastic fiber/strand visible in gauge face
--dash near defrost vents warping
--driver side inner door panel loose
--car does not beep 3x after opening door upon disarm (see earlier thread regarding this issue)
--door moulding tape bubbling

Are most of these issues ticky-tacky? Perhaps, I don't care since the dealer will take care of all of them except for the 3 beeps (he says he checked a few other cars and none of them beep 3x either) under warranty.

Anyone else had a laundry list as long as mine that you brought to the dealer's attention at the same time?
You think YOU have a laundry list.. well, here goes (since you ASKED):

1. faux-wood molding falling off, replaced w/ new piece
2. Creaking leather seats, buckle.. I fixed both on my own (dealer said there was nothing they could do
3. Acura emblem on front grill came off .. replaced
4. Mufflers not even, one drooped, fixed, but not completely, one is still lower
5. um, transmission replaced
6. rattles
7. front rotors warped, re-finished
8. window motor recall
9. sunroof rattle .. still there, don't care anymore
Old 12-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

PeterUbers--that is a long list, indeed; however, I must say that my list didn't include issues that were resolved on previous visits or were taken care of by myself:

--Brakes/rotors replaced/resurfaced
--Moonroof shade rattle
--Seatbelt latch squeek (fixed this myself)
--Driver's door not closing flush with rest of body/frame of vehicle
--Steering wheel airbag cover not centered
--Discoloration in gauge cluster face
--Tailpipes not level
--Rear skirt not flush with bumper surface
--Window motor recall (taken care of before I bought the vehicle)
--Slightly excessive than acceptible driver's side wind noise
--And of course...the tranny.

Not trying to get into a pi$$ing contest or anything, just pointing out that Acura needs to get their QC act together on a car like the TL-S.

PlanoTLS--the 3 beeps I'm talking about are the beeps that the car makes if it doesn't have to recall the seat memory upon disarm--it says so on page 82, IIRC. Dealer claims that the manual must be wrong since it doesn't do it on a few other cars he tested; I don't really believe him since a few others on this board have claimed to hear the beeps, but it is not that big a deal at this point.

this is me--mine is an '02; the dealer took care of the little stuff within a day; some of the other issues (gauge, dash) have to wait until the ordered parts arrive (who knows how long that will be).
Old 12-26-2002, 08:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Mine only emits the 3 beeps when the memory system moves the seats/mirrors for you -- letting you know everything's done moving, otherwise it's silent. Been that way since day 1.
Old 12-26-2002, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

The only time I get three beeps, is when switching from Key#1 to Key#2. One beep, then the seats/mirrors move, then 2 beeps (signifying #2 key) when move is complete.

The VSA and fiber are a serious nitpick. Those are the sorts of things that make car prices rise so high, IMO.
Old 12-27-2002, 04:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by T Ho
The VSA and fiber are a serious nitpick. Those are the sorts of things that make car prices rise so high, IMO.
And 1/2-inch scratches on paint or expensive rims where the scratch barely etched the surface and/or which you probably can't even see unless you look real closely aren't? The way some people complain about stuff like that, you'd think they got robbed or something... I mean hey--if you wanna call them nitpicks--that's your opinion, but you don't see me whining and *****ing about it.

Are nitpicks like what I described "the sort of things that make car prices rise so high"? Maybe next time I purchase a new vehicle I should ask the sales manager, "Hey, if I promise not to nitpick about every little defect on my car, will you sell it to me for a really great price, like $5K under invoice?" Sheesh, and I thought it was because of stuff like holdback, ad fees, market location and such that added to the price of a (new) car...
Old 12-27-2002, 05:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
While your claims are valid, it’s amazing how far cars have come that we can worry about VSA lights bleeding in the dash and fiber strands. It used to be that if the car started you were happy.

That's progress.

Time travel back to 1970 and tell the mechanic you got a rattle. He'll laugh you right out of the shop.
Old 12-27-2002, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Take the VSA light for instance- you would have them spend the time (time=money, especially at dealer service rates, which get charged back to the company, via the warranty underwriter) to disassemble a good portion of the dash, which will likely take a few hours, to repair bleedthrough of a light that is never on? By doing so, risking the creation of a legitimate problem, due to the disassembly (what I refer to as the "****finger" effect)?

Yea, nitpick.

Same with the "invisible" scratches.

Those who demand perfection will always find themselves sorely disappointed. That would be true for ANY vehicle. I'd bet you a million dollars I could find something wrong with any vehicle in existence.

Todd
Old 12-28-2002, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Todd/doopstr--I understand completely where you guys are coming from; in my defense, the VSA light should have been taken care of a long time ago when I told them about it at the same time I mentioned the discoloration in the gauge cluster--IMHO not a nitpick, as the black portion of the gauge housing had whitish discoloration, as if someone had spilled some kind of chemical that had reacted with the plastic. Therefore it shouldn't have been a waste of dealer time/resources to check out the VSA light while they were replacing the cluster; if they have to "waste" their time looking into it again because for whatever reason they didn't look into it the first time--how am I wasting their time for having them look at it again?

In all fairness, there are other things that could be considered nitpick items--stuff like seatbelt buckle squeeks (yes, some people have fixed this on their own), front/rear dash/deck rattles, seat squeeks when you sit down; heck, even the mufflers being unlevel should be a nitpick too. None of these bothersome issues affect drivability or affect the enjoyability of driving the car, yet more than a few people have asked the dealer to address these issues.

Let's say that the VSA light is "never on", as you (Todd) put it; if the VSA bulb somehow blew out, then by all rights one shouldn't bother replacing it since it's "never on", correct? (just having fun with your comment about the VSA light never being on--don't take it too seriously).
Old 12-28-2002, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

I can honestly say that, other than when the car starts, I can't remember the last time I've had the VSA come on. Seriously. I just don't beat on the car at all- mind you, I don't drive like a grandma, either, but the car is a long term investment in personal transportation. I intend for it to be still quite nice in 10 years, and as such, I tap the 260hp only when I need it.

Seat belt squeak, pipe level- also nitpicks, and nothing that can't be fixed in <5minutes at home.

Todd