My Transmission Review Case with Acura

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:56 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Transmission Review Case with Acura

I've read extensively on this forum regarding my 03 tl-s (120,000km currently) that I purchased last year September 2008. Reading all the horror stories really frightened me.

Fast forward 8 months. Finally took the car in recently to an acura dealership here in Toronto, to give the car a big once over diagnostic, with specifics to the transmission because it was acting funny with strange shifts and odd rpms.

Woe is me, they replicated certain road conditions and deemed their recommendation to be a transmission replacement. $3500 Horrid news.

The service advisor gave me a number to call and open up a case. Acura agent asked for maintenance records and documentation of service done on the car. I asked to speak with their manager, but they said that to further the case I would have to submit the records.

Acura dealership provided me with records up to 2006. Where it stopped. And since I've only had the car for a small amount of time, the invoices I have are for tire changes, maintenance(spark plugs, filters etc) done at a local mechanic, and the diagnostics done at Acura dealership.

Got the call this morning, where the representative told me that I do not have enough documentation to show that the transmission has been properly maintained, so that they cannot provide any assistance with this matter. Also said they conferred with the Service Manager at the said dealership as well.

I'm lost here, this is my first car, and it has become a horrible experience. What are my options here? Small claims court? Any help from you guys with the same problem here would be very much appreciated.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure how to help you, but I hope it all works out!

Best of luck to you and your TL-S!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
why would you go to court? on what basis?
the canada trans warranty is 50k kms iirc, not covered by the usa court case to 7.9/109k miles

What they were asking for in documentaton was proof of following owner book schedule on trans fluid change- 3 liters every xxk kms- check your owner book

At any rate you are well past any warranty and have the same option as anyone, go to a private rebuilding shop and have it done for about 2500-2800, or pay acuras price for theirs with a 3 year warranty
$3500 is less than a usa price- your loonie must be increasing in value against us
Old 07-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Another member, I think StonedCL- got his rebuilt at private shop w/ a 3 yr. warranty too.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 PM
slow tl..

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just got mine replaced (have to pick it up in an hour) by Acura... The service rep that helped me there called Acura himself and got me 70% off... I only have to pay $850 out of my pocket.. Try another dealership that can help you out better.

Goodluck
Old 07-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi turtleh :

As a fellow Torontonian, I feel for you. My experience is that Downtown has been more flexible than Sherway. I have no experience with the Acura dealer in Mississauga. I personaly would not go with a third party repair. Remember Mr. Transmission ?

I must say that Honda Canada has not been very flexible with me.... I think I pissed them off once with a letter regarding poor brake performance. The unfortunate situation is that once you call in to Honda Canada, they open an "incident" and all future communications are based on this "file". So, if you get one NO, they tend not to want to change their position. This doesn't seem to be the case with our American cousins.

Anyway, best of luck and hope things work out.

smartypants
Old 07-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the canada trans warranty is 50k kms iirc, not covered by the usa court case to 7.9/109k miles

What they were asking for in documentaton was proof of following owner book schedule on trans fluid change- 3 liters every xxk kms- check your owner book

At any rate you are well past any warranty and have the same option as anyone, go to a private rebuilding shop and have it done for about 2500-2800, or pay acuras price for theirs with a 3 year warranty
$3500 is less than a usa price- your loonie must be increasing in value against us
I am from Toronto as well, and to clarify, the same extensions apply to Canada as well, I got letters from Honda Canada for trans as well as for odometer, mine is 2002 TLP purchased in mid august 2001 with original trans replaced at 60K KM.
But the trouble is, it does not apply for all cars, it depends on your VIN.
The bottom line is, try calling Honda Canada again i.e. be persistent. You might be able to get at least some discount. Also, as mentioned, try different stealership. If worse comes to worse, see what else is available here. I am not sure myself if there is anything else that might make sense when it comes to fixing it out of the stealership.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
Yes acura would not help me out either and they really Fed my tranny up in the last install, used my old clogged filter , kinked the metal tube that carries the trans fluid..

Go on ATRA (automatic transmission rebuilders association)website and find some rebuilders from that site and call them and ask them how many honda trans they replaced and if when they rebuild it if they do anything to make the trans more reliable.
I called about 10 in my area and they ranged from $2400 - $3500 BUT most gave 12/12 warrenties.. The guy I picked had a oddessey and MDX in his shop when i stoped by and showed me some of the trans opened up and explained what he would do.
He added a cooler, used Amsoil syntetic ATF and used a better torque converter and gaskets and it cost me $3240 after tax w 3/36 warrenty.. So far so good..
Make sure when u call asked what the cost is if they have to rebuild the WHOLE trans w the torque converter cuz some will tell u $2000 and then when they have the tranny out anouther $600 for torque converter also get it in writing the price b4 he starts and PLEASE do not use AAMCO a good friend of mine has a uncle that ownes 2 amco's and he is the one who told me to go on the ATRA website and find a rebuilder there...

ACURA is wipeing there hands clean of these cars no help and will do anything they can to deny help!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 PM
B A N N E D

Location: The grande.. Riverdale NJ.. Hopefully moving to skyline village in Lincoln park NJ..yes dirty jersey
You also dont wanna buy a junkyard trans cuz it will go in less then a year , Like i said you people that bought these cars used have no clue how many trans your car had b4 u and there is no way to find out cuz there is no database that links all the shops.
I had the first one done at Park ave acura and second at wayne acure and wayne acura and acura corperate was arguing w/me that is was my 2nd tranny untill they called Park ave acura, even corperate did not have that info!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:34 PM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm in the same vote. Is there anyway to fight back with Acura? I mean my first tranny went out at 86K and said that my VIN doesnt fall under the warranty extension what so ever. My TL is an 03 and just got it recently replaced under AAMCO for 3600$! with a 7year/unlimited Mile warranty...
Old 07-24-2009, 07:31 PM
B A N N E D

AAMCO!?!? My good friends uncle owns 2 AAMCO's and he told me to go somewhere else, then I went on RIPOFF report and some complaint websites and read hundreds of horror stories.. I hope you tranny holds up cuz from what I read about AAMCO's they will do anything they can to not fix the tranny under there warrenty!
Old 07-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Team Owner

jjar- is it to 7.9/109k miles for canada now? and they are still using a mid 03 vin cutoff same as usa court case?

That wasnt a we fixed it date!!!- (regardless of what service writers say)
just a court issue for a settlement- acura knows this very well

aznm3- usa cars `out of vin range`- you should have read the tranny failure thread here to get goodwill coverage on full or partial payment by acura
they know all the 03s and 04 and 05 have the same issue

After the fact is more difficult, but worth a few letters to try and get some refund of what you spent- see other post regarding attitude of loyal customer-love your acura, belong to acurazine, family owns acuras-

Most important- and iirc cananda last year they were requiring proof of 1 trans fluid change of 3 liters/qts for any kind of help
USA cars proof of 1 oil maitenance done to trans- in the cars history will help you get goodwill assitance- without any fluid changes- oh well - dorry dude

By going somewhere else for a rebuild, you really limit their options

This isnt 2003 and the sudden mystery trans death is still an unknown-
or you were 300 miles from an acura dealer somewhere in the desert--
today its pretty common knowledge for anyone with the internet and ablity to type TL+problems to know about trans and warranty
Old 07-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
No Sir , our canadian trans warranty is covered by the USA court case to 7 years and 9 months / 174k kms.
My car TL-P 02 was covered by Acura last Mars/09.
OP need to check if his VIN is cover since his car is a 03 .
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 PM
Team Owner

even if `not covered vin`- you play the truth card! acura knows it wasnt fixed- goodwill assistance please!
Great to hear canada is covering you guys now-
everyone better go to the dealer for a 3 liter fluid change- to cover yourself for warranty
Old 07-24-2009, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AZN.M3NACE
..... My TL is an 03 and just got it recently replaced under AAMCO for 3600$! with a 7year/unlimited Mile warranty...
Are you sure it's that long? That doesn't sound right.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:06 AM
10th Gear

The dealership showed me that my VIN is not covered, I also checked on the website of the California class action website and my vin is not in the range.

Someone near me selling a junkyard trans for $1200 is this a viable option?

I guess I'm going to try at Acura Ca. a few more times and if not I will purchase the damn thing, 3+ years warranty on a reman doesnt sound TOO bad, but it is still ridiculous, a transmission is not supposed to fail in such a time period.

Thanks to all the Canadians for the info. I will call again and tell them that it should be 7 years 179000 kms.

If any more Canadian owners have personal experiences please continue to post. Grateful for the American help, but it does sound like that Acura Canada has different practices.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by turtleh
The dealership showed me that my VIN is not covered, I also checked on the website of the California class action website and my vin is not in the range.

Someone near me selling a junkyard trans for $1200 is this a viable option?

I guess I'm going to try at Acura Ca. a few more times and if not I will purchase the damn thing, 3+ years warranty on a reman doesnt sound TOO bad, but it is still ridiculous, a transmission is not supposed to fail in such a time period.

Thanks to all the Canadians for the info. I will call again and tell them that it should be 7 years 179000 kms.

If any more Canadian owners have personal experiences please continue to post. Grateful for the American help, but it does sound like that Acura Canada has different practices.
You wanna stay away from a junkyard trans cuz most likely it will go bad in a few months.. DO NOT buy any trans w/o a warrenty!