My TL's shake...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TL's shake...

Hey all all. Long time lurker 1st post...
I noticed my 02 TL-S shaking like crazy past 40mph and more so when I am heavy on the gas. So I bring it in to the Acura dealer for that an the tranny recall check(just in case). Tranny ends up fine but he does say my front mount is busted and says that's the cause.

I've seen it posted here before about broken mounts causing that shake. So I get a new one put it. Driving home I try to make it happen...sure enough its still doing it. Only difference is its takes more effort.

So I think part of it was the front one...but its still there and I am frustrated. Bringing it back later this week for another look.
Any other reason this is still happening? It maybe the side mount...but why didn't he see that one while fixing the front one...*sigh*
Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Id bring it back. MY guess would be either more mounts are shot, a bent axle or trans
Old 09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Yea, its going back Wed. just spoke with him. "we will run a full diagnoses" he said.

Didn't even think about it being a bent axel. Thanks.
Not the best of roads here in MA.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:05 PM
hates the winter

Most likely it's a bad axle(s) Have them check the side mount as well.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Back from the garage...
They were unable to pin-point the actual cause. He did however say the side mount was torn. But did not think that was the reason for the shaking. Thinks one of the axels are bad. He couldn't tell which one I guess because they both look fine from the outside.

At this point I'm ready to yell...
He suggested doing the driver axel 1st to see if that takes care of it. Then the passenger...etc. As for the repairs, I would only pay labor if I get a part put on only to have the problem still there.
That didn't sound too bad I guess....
Just sucks this is the 3rd place I have gone too. Even after Acura telling me it was only the front mount in the first place.
Well for now because of money spent I gotta wait anyway.
I'm just hoping this isn't doing any damage to the car.....?
Old 09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
bent rim? unbalanced tires.
improper inflation
knocking?
cheap gas?
can you describe the vibration?
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced

Hey phee, sorry I should have mentioned all that before.
Rims are in perfect shape as well as the new tires.
Had all that done along with an alignment 2 months ago hoping that would take care of it.
No knocking that I can tell, and I use Mobil premium gas 90% of the time. Spark plugs do have some mileage on them though...hmmm.
Its more like a shake then vibration, I say this because its pretty violent. Even the tech that drove said wow...I felt that. It happens most at over 40mph. If I sit between 40-50 an feather the gas it shakes an jerks real bad. Even notice it around turns when not applying gas. The steering wheel dosent seem effected by this. The suspension is totally stock. Hope that helps a little.

BTW that dog in your avatar is cracking me up,hehe.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
my car had the same problem too under acceleration. new axles took care of it. just dont buy them acura, they were going to charge me almost 500 for one!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crazyasiantl
my car had the same problem too under acceleration. new axles took care of it. just dont buy them acura, they were going to charge me almost 500 for one!
I wish you found out the problem and fix it soon before putting more money into it. from previous experience with cars, I feel your pain when you have a problem that nobody has a real answer for. good luck man
Old 09-12-2008, 11:16 AM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by gambitnuke
Hey phee, sorry I should have mentioned all that before.
Rims are in perfect shape as well as the new tires.
Had all that done along with an alignment 2 months ago hoping that would take care of it.
No knocking that I can tell, and I use Mobil premium gas 90% of the time. Spark plugs do have some mileage on them though...hmmm.
Its more like a shake then vibration, I say this because its pretty violent. Even the tech that drove said wow...I felt that. It happens most at over 40mph. If I sit between 40-50 an feather the gas it shakes an jerks real bad. Even notice it around turns when not applying gas. The steering wheel dosent seem effected by this. The suspension is totally stock. Hope that helps a little.

BTW that dog in your avatar is cracking me up,hehe.
man, its definitely the axles. get them from acuraoemparts or one of our other sites that we use around here. its either the axles or you have like a loose piston or something (jk)
Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phee
man, its definitely the axles. get them from acuraoemparts or one of our other sites that we use around here. its either the axles or you have like a loose piston or something (jk)
Same here, went through the replacing all the motor and transmission mounts, wheel bearings before doing both axle replacement. no more shaking afterwards.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Thanks, that puts my mind at ease. Hopefuly next week I can get this done and enjoy the smooth ride again.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Try to get NEW as opposed to reman axles. They're available at places like napa, and aren't much more than reman. All too often, reman axles get grease, new boots, and paint. That subtle groove worn into the inner joint gets overlooked, and you've still got a vibration. It's frustrating to put in a supposedly good part and then have to second guess your diagnosis. This is especially true when you can't tell if it's the left or right side to begin with. Using the search feature might help you see if more people have done one side over the other.
Old 09-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash
Try to get NEW as opposed to reman axles. They're available at places like napa, and aren't much more than reman. All too often, reman axles get grease, new boots, and paint. That subtle groove worn into the inner joint gets overlooked, and you've still got a vibration. It's frustrating to put in a supposedly good part and then have to second guess your diagnosis. This is especially true when you can't tell if it's the left or right side to begin with. Using the search feature might help you see if more people have done one side over the other.
i got new ones from napa at 90 bucks a piece. i just replaced both so i didnt have to worry about it
Old 09-15-2008, 12:02 PM
T-Swzy

did u get the new axles in gambit? i might hafta do the same with mine
Old 09-15-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced

This Wed. I will have them done. Going to do one at a time instead of both at once. Just see which side was really causing it.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
12volt Technician

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey OP
did it also do it a very low speed
like 30 km, oh i mean 15 MPH or so. i think mine does a little bit. definitely not violent tho
Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 AM
KidWiTh2kTL

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i think yous houdl use premium gas 100% of the time. =P
Old 09-19-2008, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Hey the shaking is gone!!! ....oh wait...
That could be because I'm driving a new TL

Well after the axels getting put on and seeing no improvement in the shaking I was bummed. But my mechanic did say my transmission was not so hot. So today I go to an Acura dealer and yep....my tranny is on its last breath.
Guess going back a 2nd time helped them see it.
So I'll have it back next week with a new tranny. Hopefully this was all because of the trans.

Oh and this was all covered by that recall/warranty extension thingy.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Advanced

Got a call from Acura today. The trans is being put in.
They noticed the right mount was no good which wasn't news to me.
But they also said the the front sway bushings were going. I guess that would be the least of my worries cheap an easy fix. Probably do that myself.
They want $180 for the mount installed which doesn't sound that bad to me. What you guys think?
I think I should just do it. Who knows that could be main reason for that shake after all.

Even though this 08 TL they gave me is amazing I do miss my car
Old 09-23-2008, 12:14 PM
NY CITY

Sometimes its the simple things we seem to over look , i had my car shake like mohamed ali and i thought all sorts of shit, come to find out my two back rims were loose soo dnt overlook the simple things.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Well it just got worse....
He had the tech drive it after the trans was put it in. He found the shake was from the driveshaft/right axel. I'm guessing this is a entire assembly because they want $985 for everything.
So I'm screwed and stuck with this.
Really angers me the issues with this car. My Integra had more miles and never this. I know every car is different but good lord.
Anyway im off to beat on the rental....blow off some steam.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

You didn't give the dealer approval to do the axle, did you? Didn't you say your mechanic just put axles in? Did he put in reman, or new? They should have some kind of warranty either way. Am I missing something here?
Old 09-23-2008, 12:49 PM
Advanced

No the right axel was done at a local honda shop. I know a guy there who was nice enough to put a new one in and take it out for free if it didnt fix it.
The left axel was never touched because he had trouble removing it and didnt want to damage it and make me get a new one.
Acura dealer said it was the right side, even though last time they said it was my mount. either way I dont think I will be going there anymore.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Did your independent guy put in a new or reman right axle. I'm being specific because if he said "I replaced the axle, and it still shakes", you might assume new while he's thinking reman. Depending on the source, there's not a huge price difference. If he tried a NEW right axle, have him replace the left. You might let him know that you'll pay even if it doesn't fix it. It does seem that the right does this more often, but I don't think there's any way to tell, unless you see damage or excess play. Two good new aftermarket axles, with installation will be less than half of acura's price for one.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I always used to like and defend dealers...its the mechanics that are the iffy elements....but this is just bad. My first shot would have been an axle! I'd have done it and the mount. How does this stuff get overlooked?
Old 09-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Its finally over....sorry slight delay on update
So after getting my car back from the dealer with the new tranny I was in shock. I think my trans was bad from day one. The car is actually performing 100% better, its faster and punchier. Also no more whiplash when it shifts.

As for the shake....
After a long talk with the manager about why an axel is going to cost me $985. He got back to me an said it was quoted wrong...felt like saying "no shit".
They came to the conclusion it was my right axel. Which I screwed up and said left on previous post. They still wanted way too much of course with dealer labor and all that.
Brought it to my tech, new right axel in....shake gone.
The axel came out no problem this time because Acura had to remove it for the tranny work.

Drives like new
Thanks for the help guys